Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

UN "cannabis as harmful as cocaine and heroin"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
New strains of highly potent cannabis are as dangerous as heroin and cocaine and the drug can no longer be dismissed as "soft and relatively harmless", the United Nations said yesterday.

In an implied criticism of Britain's decision to downgrade cannabis, Antonio Maria Costa, the head of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, said that countries got the "drug problem they deserved" if they maintained inadequate policies.

His comments indicated deep unhappiness with the Government's decision to reclassify cannabis from a Class B drug to Class C. Heroin and cocaine are Class A substances, attracting the toughest penalties for possession and trafficking.
Executive director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), Antonio Maria Costa, said countries got the "drug problem they deserved" if they maintained inadequate policies.

How is it we allow the UN to dictate drug policy to the rest of the world especially when they come out with comments like this?
Mr Costa said: "After so many years of drug control experience, we now know that a coherent, long-term strategy can reduce drug supply, demand and trafficking.
:chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What a loads of crap... The UN seems to not have a fucking clue and some quotes just prove how stupid they are... I think it's a control thing more than anything else...
    Yep, he's totally right, we get the drug problem we deserve.
    Is it just me...or was that a very selective choice of quotes from the UN. Where is the link to the whole account for reading, just to check what they actually said and in its fullest context. Surely it specified a specific strain of weed and a specific policy when it was refering to "getting what we deserve" in drugs problems.
    a lot of these people earn big fat pay cheques to spout shite like that and they want to keep it that way.
    ihaven't read the link but ...if he is saying what is posted in this thread then it flies in the face of every scientific study ever done on cannabis.
    We are learning more and more about the possible dangers of cannabis, and the age at which people start using does seem to be going down and young use is linked to more problems.

BUT - its totally stupid to suggest that cannabis is as dangerous as heroin or cocaine.
    It is in fact quite a bullshit article Roll, a very very bullshit article.

For a start his sweeping statements about the dangers of weed are very wrong. It is more a case of he probably read a report of a strain of weed that is highly potent and used it as basis for all Cannabis decisions.

Second, the whole beginning seems to be one big "pat yourself on the back" speach to the UN about how they stabalised drug production, got Loas to stop production almost entirely and saw demand for drugs fall, though blaming any encouragement on drugs on nations governments like the UK for changing drug policies and downgrading drugs, and blaming celebrities for encouraging young, impressionable children to take up the use of narcotics.

Frankly, it just doesnt tally with anything else i have read on drugs.

Though, i do concede the point that several studies...but i hasten to add, not all studies, have shown some links between cannabis use and mental illness.
    subject13 wrote:
    got Loas to stop production almost entirely

There are several reasons for a drop in the production of heroin in the Far East, first of all there have been incentives to the governments, secondly Burma has moved from opium to methamphetamine, and thirdly and most importantly the heroin market in the US (where most Far East heroin goes) has been largely taken over by prescribed opiates.
    I knew it was mostly a pat on the back statement! What a load of tosh it was from the UN.