Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Favourite quote?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i wanted to know what your fav quote is something inspiring something funny or something which touched you?????

i have loads one of them is:

"The whisper of a pretty girl can be heard further than the roar of a lion."

Comments

• Options
    The quote in my signature.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I can't say I have a favourite, there are just many I like. Here's three:

"Wise men learn by other men's mistakes; fools by their own." ~Chauser
    "He who stands with both feet firmly on the ground is not moving." ~Tor Age Bringsvoerd
    "For every complex problem there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong." ~H.L. Menken
  • Options
    "Let's destroy eachother. 'Cause we're too cool for love lines, soft kisses over cheap wine. Smoke me baby like your last cigarette, whisper to me, say you'll never forget. Could you break my heart a little more? Shove my body up against yours & kiss me like you mean it? Anything worth a taste burns as it goes down. Could you tell me I'm so Audrey Hepburn when my hair falls to the side? & say girl, I'm not here to love you tender, I'm just here for the ride. Let's blind ourselves by love & be deaf to all who say it's fatal. It's not that we don't know, its just that we don't care."

NO idea who wrote it, but I lovelovelovelove it. :)
  • Options
    "If something's hard to do it's not worth doing"

I even had it on a mug with homer Simpson and everything until my mum smashed it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    "Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed."

:thumb:
  • Options
    "Life's a shit sandwich but only if you're a shithead".
  • Options
    "Life's a bitch, cos if it was a slut it would be easy"
    "Slence, like Patience, is a virtue that only wise men know to use when facing ignorance and intolerance"
  • Options
    Anything by Bills Hicks, the man was a legend.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    "the day after tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life, that way you've always got a couple of days in hand" - Bill Bailey :p
  • Options
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get caught in jet engines.
  • Options
    the einstein one in my signiture
  • Options
    I want a quote, but I don't have one. I just looked around my room for inspiration and the only thing that caught my eye was "The Complete Adobe Photoshop Handbook", which I don't think is gonna cut it...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I want a quote, but I don't have one. I just looked around my room for inspiration and the only thing that caught my eye was "The Complete Adobe Photoshop Handbook", which I don't think is gonna cut it...

:lol::lol: :thumb:
  • Options
    I think someone should have had the decency to tell me the luncheon was free. To make someone run out with potato salad in his hand, pretending he's throwing up, is not what I call hospitality.

~Jack Handey
  • Options
    The one in my sig, a recently canonized chilean priest said it (Alberto Hurtado), it's about social justice. He preached among the rich people saying that real charity only comes after being just. So before being 'charitable' to the poor, they should be just - meaning: pay your employees fair wages, give them proper education, give them the same opportunities, don't discriminate them, etc, etc. Only after you have done all that (which is only what is just) you can begin to be charitable (ie: give away even more than what you should). He preached and wrote about how acheiving social justice was so important, and how it was the duty of us all. He was quite revolutionary for his time, he was well hated among the wealthy aristocrats. But ever loved by the rest.
  • Options
    "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela

"Money won't create success, the freedom to make it will." - Nelson Mandela

"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." - Nelson Mandela

"If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner." - Nelson Mandela

"If the United States of America or Britain is having elections, they don't ask for observers from Africa or from Asia. But when we have elections, they want observers." - Nelson Mandela

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." - Nelson Mandela

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela

"After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb." - Nelson Mandela

"In my country we go to prison first and then become President." - Nelson Mandela
  • Options
    "I love it when a plan comes together!" - Mr T
  • Options
    "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
    Sir Winston Churchill

"One can get in a car and see what man has made. One must get on a horse to see what God has made."
  • Options
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
    the courage to change the things I can;
    and the wisdom to know the difference.

Saint Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
    the courage to change the things I can;
    and the wisdom to know the difference.

Saint Francis of Assisi
    I have always loved that prayer, but never knew who had wrote it. Are you sure it was Saint Francis of Assisi?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    "People like me sound like a lot of big cannons."

"Swollen in head, weak in legs, sharp in tongue but empty in belly."

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."

- Mao Tse-Tung
  • Options
    "I need a poo" - GoodFella :D
  • Options
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Dr Martin Luther King
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    I have always loved that prayer, but never knew who had wrote it. Are you sure it was Saint Francis of Assisi?

Nope. Had another look and apparently 'There is no shortage of theories as to who wrote the Serenity Prayer.' Could have been Reinhold Niebuhr.

It is a great prayer. And I'm sure I'd waste much less effort if I could live by it.

There's a few variations, too:

Lord, grant me the Senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones that I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

and

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.