Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you play an instrument?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I was just wondering, if anyone here plays any instruments

If yes, did you teach yourself, or have lessons?

Lately ive been wanting to learn to play an instrument. I used to play the cornet and the recorder at school but thats it, i dont play anything any more

I'd like to be able to play guitar or drums along to the music i listen to, that'd be fun

Alternatively i'd like to do the cornet again, or trumpet or clarinet so i can play along to skapunk :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I play the guitar, taught myself. Pretty easy actually.
    turlough wrote:
    I play the guitar, taught myself. Pretty easy actually.

really? How long have you been playing? How did you teach yourself? ive held one before and had no idea what to do with the thing...
    I used to play the baritone, which is similar to a euphonium. Almost went to Euro 2000 with the Wednesday band too!
    Blah wrote:
    really? How long have you been playing? How did you teach yourself? ive held one before and had no idea what to do with the thing...

Playing about 4 years now. Well if you know how to read guitar tablature, then you can learn from there. Start off with something easy like Seven Nation Army which even a monkey can play then keep on trying harder things. Chords are pretty awkward to play at the start because your fingers don't feel right but you get used to it.
    turlough wrote:
    Playing about 4 years now. Well if you know how to read guitar tablature, then you can learn from there. Start off with something easy like Seven Nation Army which even a monkey can play then keep on trying harder things. Chords are pretty awkward to play at the start because your fingers don't feel right but you get used to it.

my step dad has an acoustic and electric guitar downstairs.....do u reckon i could learn myself with simply research on the net?

Does it require alot of patience?
    It was the fingering I struggled with on the guitar when I tried to self-teach, especially since I've got small hands and found it very difficult to work out a good way of even holding it, too! I reckon it should be easy enough to teach yourself though (especially if you've half a clue about reading music) but I wheedled my "lessons" (which are usually fucked off in favour of going to the pub) out of my friendly local guitarist. If you can get someone really belting to teach you then of course I'd recommend that, but if not then anyone who knows the basics will at least be able to point you in the right direction. You can get pretty decent video/book sets to teach yourself, too, if guitar's the way you want to go.

I also play the cornet (yay for cornet players) which I learned at school, piano which I've been playing for fifteen years now (had six years of lessons, which I consistently hated though I love to play for my own enjoyment now), and the harmonica and tin whistle if we're going to include them ;)

I am absolutely desperate to get my hands on an accordion, as I used to play my grandfather's before he chucked it (I was MAD). As soon as I have two beans to rub together I'm going to buy one, and get back into the swing of it.
    Hmmm, I used to play 'cello. That was kind of fun. And woodblock :D loudest instrument in the orchestra, woot- hear me break it down like lil lisa simpson... And now, I play nothing :( I've got a treble recorder that I've been meaning to pick up, for the last couple of years...
    I used to play:
    Piano, 6-16
    viola, 13-14
    flute, 15-17

and I bought a guitar at 14, but it still sits in my closet, dustier than Janet Reno's vagina.
    I've played the recorder at school, and really enjoyed it. I've always loved music, though I'm aware enough to realise I don't have much talent for it :razz: Still I love to pretend I play piano and guitar. My deepest ambition is to play cello though. I just love the sound. Maybe one day when I find the time and money... (that seems just likely to come soon :thumb: )
    I used to play the recorder at school. At secondary school, I played the clarinet, guitar and violin.
    I play nothing, I wanna learn Bass but cant afford it now :( although I can get a few notes out with a clarinet

The Missus plays, Piano (she has a electric Grand) Clarinet (shes good) and she sings.
    I want to learn how to play the drums. :(
    I play the piano. I started lessons when I was 5 and went to a music school till 13... then I just thought I had enough and I quit. Now I know it was a big mistake, but when I was 13 y.o. I wasn't listening to anyone...
    I was taught to play the recorder at school.
    i had drum lessons at school, they were quite expensive. especially when you consider that i had about 3489758375 lessons and only ever learnt how to tap the drum with the sticks in different ways.

i also had cornet lessons but again this was short lived...

my sis used to play the french horn really well.
    I had keybord lessons for years but was never very good at them so i stopped and had singing lessons instead
    hehe i can kinda play the keyboard!! .. although saying that, the only way im able to play it is if the keys have little stickers on them saying (abcd etc) lol :D plus the music in the books has to have the letters too.. without them im buggered!!

in primary school i reeeally wanted to learn to play the violin (still do - although feel its a little too late now!!) but i failed the 'test' and wasnt able to! was so upset
    I had keyboard lessons for eight years, but gave up when I started working. Which is a shame cos I enjoyed it, but I got to a point where I felt like all my teacher was doing was providing me with the music then I'd spend a few weeks arranging it, then we'd start again with another piece.

I started learning the clarinet when I was about ten, and sax when I was about.. thirteen, maybe? Loved clarinet until I started playing the sax, and realised I like to be loud :D

Not really played any of them in about a year - I don't like playing solo sax/clarinet at all, I much prefer being in a band, so hopefully I'll get the opportunity when I go to uni. There's so many people say 'I wish I knew how to play an instrument..' so I don't want to be someone who throws the ability away, if you see what I mean.
    my_name wrote:
    I used to play:
    Piano, 6-16
    viola, 13-14
    flute, 15-17

and I bought a guitar at 14, but it still sits in my closet, dustier than Janet Reno's vagina.

did you go to band camp? tall oaks!:lol:

i do not want to know what else you can do with your flute:nervous:
    I've played Guitar since I was 6 - although i've pretty much given up now..

I started off teaching myself bits and pieces.. like names of strings/notes and where they were, simple songs.. and then I started lessons at a music college - did those for 7 or so years until my teacher left and since then I've almost stopped playing completely apart from the GCSE pieces I had to do.. sometimes when i'm bored i'll get some tabs off the net and teach myself but then give up most of the time out of frustration. :p

Learning an instrument really does take A LOT of time and patience. And most of all practice. I should have learnt that by now. :p
    Play the guitar and bass. But better at bass. Also play piano and used to play the clarinet. Rocking.
    I used to play guitar - however the people i used to play with also all played guitar so i moved onto bass! BASS ROCKS!!
    Been playing guitar for about ten years.
    Sofie wrote:
    I used to play the recorder at school. At secondary school, I played the clarinet, guitar and violin.

I remember the recorders in school. Why did everybody play one?
    All the guys used to show off that they could play it thru their nose. Tbh, it wasn't all that impressive :p
    And even though we each got our own, we had to give them back at the end of year so I hope they washed them afterwards :\
    my_name wrote:
    I remember the recorders in school. Why did everybody play one?

Well, it was the only instrument (at primary school) that we were allowed to play. Also, it wasn't that hard to learn either.
    I could play the recorder; sopranino and descant.

And I sing.. if that counts as an instrument :thumb:
    Sofie wrote:
    Well, it was the only instrument (at primary school) that we were allowed to play. Also, it wasn't that hard to learn either.

I don't think theres a single kid who went to school in the whole world who didn't learn to play one :p
    There probably some remote island of naked grass eating lepers that still played them in school.
    I played the Violin for a bit between Primary and Secondary school (about two years), Then my brother starting calling it a fiddle and taking the piss so I gave up :grump:
    I used to be able to play the recorder quite well when I was seven. I'm not really that musical.
    well i started self teaching guitar today!

im finding it all really difficult to remember and my finger movements are really slow

I will keep practicing, but for anyone who learned guitar, how long did it take to 1) be able to change chords more quickly and 2) before your fingertips stopped hurting?