Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Crap refereeing ruining an otherwise great WC

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Another game (Italy vs. Australia) marred by appalling referee decisions.

The most absurd red card in human history followed by a laughable dive rewarded with a penalty.

What a joke... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    Another game (Italy vs. Australia) marred by appalling referee decisions.

The most absurd red card in human history followed by a laughable dive rewarded with a penalty.

What a joke... :rolleyes:

I agree - the penalty rewared was really absurd. He just fell on the person. If anyone recalls, the red card given to Lucic in Sweden vs Germany was the same. I think the surplus of unprofessional referees is starting to piss me off. :(
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The amoutn of diving is pissing me off too.

Players aint just going down looking for a free kick, they're looking to get other players sent off. Hardly sporting behaviour.
    Weekender Offender 
    I agree totally that the referees have been low standard.
    But diving doesn't help.
    Theatrics don't help.
    We need to introduce red cards for diving.
    And then stop portuguese football schools teaching how to dive.
    And shut down the Chelsea Diving School...

FFS
    Do referees actually understand what the difference between 'falling over' and diving' or not?:rolleyes:
    The red was correct. If you look at the distance and speed at which Materazzi made his challenge, which was wild and missed the ball by miles, then you might realised that it was basically a cynical lunge. Red Card offence I am afraid.

As for the penalty, well I'm not going to disagree with you there.

In fact, I think that it's the players who have shown the game in a terrible light in the past couple of days. The Portigal/Holland game was nothing short of a disgrace. How Deco didn't go for his tackle alone, I'll never know. I think that each side was lucky to finish with nine men on the park.

I'm also interested by FIFA's comments about Figo. THere is no way that the referee can have "dealt with" the incident at the time. I suspect that the yellow was for him getting involved in a fracas rather than for the butt. If you look at the footage, the ref was facing away from Figo at the time so cannot possibly have seen it...
    The red was correct.

It was a yellow.
    Yes he miss-timed it. But he didn't touch him. He actually fouled his teammate.
    NO WAY was it a red.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yep. The refereeing has been quite shite sofar. But there are also alot of palyers pulling fucking dives quite blatantly. And getting it granted!

Refs should have the advantage of being able to view the cameras... but sadly this could mean it'll take ages to decide something, so waste time. :(
    The one I hate is the going off on a stretcher to waste time. In my opinion, if you are so badly injured that you require a stretcher, then you are bad enough to need a minimum of 5 minutes treatment, or to be substituted. I suggest that anyone stretchered off is not allowed back on the pitch for 5 minutes. It really took the piss in the Celtic-Porto UEFA Cup final when Derlei went off three times in one half on a stretcher and still finished the game.

In my opinion, if there is any form of exaggeration, including rolling around on the floor in 'agony' after a genuine foul, then the free kick should not be given (have you ever seen a genuinely injured player roll 6 or 7 times along the floor?). It's a shame, but I think that's what it needs. And of course an automatic yellow card for anyone asking for someone to be booked.

I also want to see a crackdown on this 'leaving a foot in' so that you get touched and can go down. The easy way to do this is to say that the fouling player has to actually prevent the other player from getting the ball. No more of this kicking it 50 yards up the pitch and running into the defender to get a foul because you know you'll never catch it. It should have to be an actual action of the defender impeding them, rather than a player choosing the trip over the defender when he could quite clearly stay on his feet.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    There have been far too many shocking decisions and the focus is turning to the quality of refereeing rather than the football going on.

It's a shame.
    There have been far too many shocking decisions and the focus is turning to the quality of refereeing rather than the football going on.

It's a shame.

:yes: And if someone is really injured then they should stay down. (obviosuly, if it's a head injury then they don't need to)
    I suggest that anyone stretchered off is not allowed back on the pitch for 5 minutes.

... and what if you actually have been hurt. Surely this just punishes the team who have been fouled?