Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

SHITE results

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have got the worst possible grades ever in my second year. My second year is worth 50% and I've averaged out a 47% which is a third. How fucking shite is that.

I've worked it out and to come out with a low 2:2 I'd have to get straight 2:1s throughout my final year which to be honest, I know I'm not capable of.

I'm just really disappointed in myself. I'm sat here in tears like a fool. I feel as though the past year has been a complete and utter waste of time.

I don't want to come out with a third but I know I'm going to if I don't RESIT the year as I know I won't get straight 2:1s.

Gawd, I'm so confused now. If I resit the year, that means I'm going to be in £4000 more debt, my parents are going to be well disappointed in me, it means me starting all over again and making new friends and it also means I won't have anyone to live with in my actual final year.

Cries. What should I do? I can't talk to anyone in uni today as I'm in work shortly.

I know I've been messed up a bit this year, I've not concentrated enough, I came out of a 3 year relationship and was messed up for a while. Gawd, its all my own fault I know, I didn't put enough effort in. I just know I'm capable of so much more.

I know I'm capable of a higher grade than I actually got. I don't know what to do.

Advice please.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aw babe, I have NO idea how universities work, so I can't offer advice (I know, useful reply!), but don't cry!! It's things like this that make you stronger, and although it may seem crap now, you'll be fine, honest!
    Make an appointment to go and speak to someone about your options.
    Is your second year really worth 50%? That seems so high.

It might make you feel better to know that I did quite shit in my first and second years of uni, then worked really really hard in my final year and got a 2:1 in the end.
    My second year is worth 50% and my third year is worth 50%.

I'm not even gonna come out with a 2:2 if I get all 2:1s next year. This is shit.

I don't know what to do. I don't want a third.

I either wanna leave uni or repeat my second year.
    \
    when you get a chance i would speak to your department because sometimes, if you show a big improvement in your third year, those marks become double weighted.
    I am definately capable of achieving better grades.

I've worked it out again and I actually need to average out around a mid 2:2 next year to get a low 2:2. However, one of our modules are taken off the marks at the end so I can't be 100% sure about that.

Part of me believes I'm capable of a 2:1 to be honest. I got a 2:1 in the first year.

I really don't know what to do. The thought of staying at uni for yet another year scares me.
    \
    I get the full student loan and grant.

My LEA pay for my student loan. Won't they pay for it if I'm repeating the year?

If so, then repeating isn't even an option. I can barely get by now.

Don't you still get a student loan and grant if you are repeating a year?
    \
    Sophia is right that situation is still the same. i repeted my second year last year and i got the full loan but had to pay my own tuition fees. to cut down the cost could you not just redo a couple of modules that you feel that you could have done really well in?
    can't you just re-sit a few modules that you didn't do so well in?
    as i understand it you are only able to repeat study and improve your mark if you can claim extenuating circumstances as a reason why you did crap this time around... without proof of extenuation, if you repeat the year your grade point for each module repeated will be capped at a grade point of 4.
    so... without extenuation, its impossible to resit and improve your grade. - thats how it is at my uni. if i were you, i'd chat to your lecturers asap and see how you stand.
    i seem to remember that my brother did badly his second year too, but made it u in his final year, and came out with a 2-1. I dnt know anything about universities tbh though, but 50% for one year does seem awfully high
    otter wrote:
    as i understand it you are only able to repeat study and improve your mark if you can claim extenuating circumstances as a reason why you did crap this time around... without proof of extenuation, if you repeat the year your grade point for each module repeated will be capped at a grade point of 4.
    so... without extenuation, its impossible to resit and improve your grade. - thats how it is at my uni. if i were you, i'd chat to your lecturers asap and see how you stand.

oh balls, yeh i forgot you can only get a 40 if you re-sit. i'm not much looking forward to my results this year.
    jenni30 wrote:
    but 50% for one year does seem awfully high

how else can it be though? your first year doesn't count towards your final degree so if it's not 50% each for your 2nd and 3rd years then it's going to be more in one than the other meaning more than 50% for one year which is obviously even higher!
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Sometimes the final year has twice the weighting of the second year, ie 33% for second year, 66% for final year.

Yeah, mine was like that. Or, rather, the level three units were weighted higher.
    This is the real question, and you don't need to tell me the answer to it. Do you still want to study Law as much as you did back on day one?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    sophia wrote:
    That year will fly by, trust me. If you definitely know you can do better, and if you can find the money to do it, then seriously consider repeating.

When I did it, I had to pay fees for the year I repeated, but I still got the full student loan. You really need to go and speak to your personal tutor or someone in the department who can advise you about it, and talk about why your grades for this year don't reflect your ability etc.

:yes: I knew a few people at uni in this situation - Stacey, I think because you know you can do better it will really benefit you to seriously think about this option. Coming out of a three year relationship is a big deal and it's no wonder you weren't able to concentrate as well as you have done previously.
    i had some problems prior to my exams but at the time i thought oh i'll be okay and it wasn't until after that i thought 'i could've done better..' so it's too late for me to really say anything. i guess i could e-mail someone as i don't have my results back yet.
    sophia wrote:
    Sometimes the final year has twice the weighting of the second year, ie 33% for second year, 66% for final year.

Aye. In my department they worked out your result weighted 50:50 in the 2nd and 3rd years and then 35:65, and went with the method that gave you the best mark, which was quite nice. Especially for me, as I also nobbed up my second year, and had to work my ass off in the third.
    Hi Stacey,

First of all the fact that your at university at all is an achievement in itself! If your unsure about what to do next you need to weigh up your choices carefully. Such as is leaving university really what you want to do? Is it better to get in an extra £4000 worth of debt for a better degree mark or to have lost the £8000 you've spent on the last 2 years by leaving with no degree? All of these things you will need to think about. Your university will be able to help you make a decision and give you support whilst your doing so.
    Our article on failed years at uni might be of some help to you.
    Ultimately the decision is yours and i wish you every luck with making it, just try to remember what your trying to achieve from going to uni, if a good mark is want then the financial implications might be worth it.

Hope this helps
    heya, sorry to hear you're upset about it all!

I was in exactly the same position last year, came out with a 3rd for the 2nd year, the 2nd and 3rd years being weighted 33:67. Thought I'd do better in the 3rd year, did worse in the 1st semester of the 3rd year, and eventually came out with a 3rd unfortunately. (found out on friday)

I wanted to repeat the 2nd year, but my personal tutor advised against it. so if you can, and you're sure you'll do better, (seriously think about this, not whether you're capable of more work, but whether you'll actually DO more work) I think you should retake the 2nd year, especially where your years are weighted 50:50.

I'm still working on finding out if I can get into the masters course I wanted to get onto, I'm not sure what I'll do otherwise... I could be a teacher I suppose :chin:

that said, I guess I still have a physics degree now :)
    \
    Thanks for all of your advice guys.

I was talking to some of my third year friends on Friday night and they were telling me that I should just go into my third year and work my arse off as the same thing happened to them last year and they managed to get the grade they wanted. However, their 2nd year was only worth 40% and their 3rd year was worth 60%.

I've got a short appointment with my course leader this morning. I'll let you all know how it goes and what she says.
    hope it goes ok! there are so many things you need to consider but i personally would really think about repeating. i know that cost is an issue, but if you know deep down that you can do better and if you really do want to do better, then i think it would be worth it.
    however, if you also know that you can work your ass off next year and if it is possible to improve and get the grade you want/need by doing that then thats an option too- but you'll have to be prepared to work so so hard.
    Its not this monday my appointment, its next monday. I got it wrong. Oops.
    sophia wrote:
    And bad results aren't the end of the world, even if it seems that way at the time.

As I've posted in this forum before, my fella did a degree in physics and got a third, and it seemed pretty disastrous at the time. He was allowed on to the Master's degree he wanted to do, and got a distinction, and is going back to uni in September to start a PhD, for which he's receving full funding. His third class degree hasn't held him back at all, so although it can be disappointing, it's rarely the tragedy it seems at the time.

so there is hope for me yet, thanks for that :)
    sophia wrote:
    And bad results aren't the end of the world, even if it seems that way at the time.

As I've posted in this forum before, my fella did a degree in physics and got a third, and it seemed pretty disastrous at the time. He was allowed on to the Master's degree he wanted to do, and got a distinction, and is going back to uni in September to start a PhD, for which he's receving full funding. His third class degree hasn't held him back at all, so although it can be disappointing, it's rarely the tragedy it seems at the time.

i thought you had to get a 2:1 or above to do a masters?

not neccisarily, it's dependant on the course :)

depends on demand for the course