Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

yellow skin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
recently i've noticed that the areas around some of my nails are a bit yellow but on 1 of my fingers its actually spread a bit onto my skin.
i've heard it can be serious, so i'm really worried....:nervous:
has anyone else ever had this? i don't smoke btw

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should most definitely get a professional diagnosis if it's signifigant enough of a change in pallor for it to be worrying you; it could turn out to be nothing but it could also be a symptom of any number of more serious conditions.

But just a though, you haven't by any chance previously been diagnosed with anaemia, have you? I had a stage a few years back where I had a very strange pallor, verging on yellowish skin and it turned out to be a symptom of anaemia which was in turn caused in part by my heavy periods. If not, is there any change in the colour of the whites of your eyes? Are you on any medication at the moment?
    briggi wrote:
    You should most definitely get a professional diagnosis if it's signifigant enough of a change in pallor for it to be worrying you; it could turn out to be nothing but it could also be a symptom of any number of more serious conditions.

But just a though, you haven't by any chance previously been diagnosed with anaemia, have you? I had a stage a few years back where I had a very strange pallor, verging on yellowish skin and it turned out to be a symptom of anaemia which was in turn caused in part by my heavy periods. If not, is there any change in the colour of the whites of your eyes? Are you on any medication at the moment?
    no ive never had anemia before, my eyes look normal aswell - i'm really worried, my mum doesn't get back from work till about 6 and im on my own till then.
    I'm supposed to be changing pill types tomorrow but i want to come off it. My mum wants me to stay on though.
    Ballerina wrote:
    recently i've noticed that the areas around some of my nails are a bit yellow but on 1 of my fingers its actually spread a bit onto my skin.
    i've heard it can be serious, so i'm really worried....:nervous:
    has anyone else ever had this? i don't smoke btw

had a good wash to make sure its not just stains?
    koe_182 wrote:
    had a good wash to make sure its not just stains?
    well i scrubbed my finger and it appears to have gotten rid of most of it, the yellow is actually on the edge of my nails at the side when i look closely
    Ballerina wrote:
    no ive never had anemia before, my eyes look normal aswell - i'm really worried, my mum doesn't get back from work till about 6 and im on my own till then.
    I'm supposed to be changing pill types tomorrow but i want to come off it. My mum wants me to stay on though.

Don't get yourself all worried there, I was sure you'd have noticed if your eyes had turned yellow... was just checking. If it has partially gone away on washing it then it could be some foodstuff that's stained your hands... that happens to me when I'm cooking spicy foods quite a lot, weirdly enough! It could just be trapped under your nails.

I take it you're going to see your GP tomorrow anyway? If so just mention it then if you're still worried, try not to get yourself worked up in the meantime.
    i suggested it because sometimes after ive had curry, my fingers go like this! yellowy nails and skin, because i like to use my hands!

comes off after a shower or two or a scrub with the nail brush.

nothing to worry about.
    briggi wrote:
    Don't get yourself all worried there, I was sure you'd have noticed if your eyes had turned yellow... was just checking. If it has partially gone away on washing it then it could be some foodstuff that's stained your hands... that happens to me when I'm cooking spicy foods quite a lot, weirdly enough! It could just be trapped under your nails.

I take it you're going to see your GP tomorrow anyway? If so just mention it then if you're still worried, try not to get yourself worked up in the meantime.
    no i've already been and got the new pill. Should i try and trim the yellow bits off and avoid stuff that could stain them and see if it comes back?
    Ballerina wrote:
    no i've already been and got the new pill. Should i try and trim the yellow bits off and avoid stuff that could stain them and see if it comes back?

Yeah, give them a trim and a scrub with a nail brush as koe said. That's more than likely what it'll be, as he said with curries etc they often have colourings and spices in that do stain - I think the saffron they use was even used to dye clothes at some point so it obviously sticks around. I imagine other foods have similar colourings and dying properties too.

Anyway, give it a little time to fade of its own accord and if it's still there then you can look into what else it might be :)
    briggi wrote:
    Yeah, give them a trim and a scrub with a nail brush as koe said. That's more than likely what it'll be, as he said with curries etc they often have colourings and spices in that do stain - I think the saffron they use was even used to dye clothes at some point so it obviously sticks around. I imagine other foods have similar colourings and dying properties too.

Anyway, give it a little time to fade of its own accord and if it's still there then you can look into what else it might be :)
    well i haven't eaten a curry for years, i have been using a tan/moisturiser though - i'll stop using that and see if it goes
    Ballerina wrote:
    well i haven't eaten a curry for years, i have been using a tan/moisturiser though - i'll stop using that and see if it goes

i think you may have hit the nail on the head there...probably from the fake bake.
    koe_182 wrote:
    i think you may have hit the nail on the head there...probably from the fake bake.
    i certainly hope so anyway
    Can I suggest NOT to 'trim' any skin? Nail technicians have been given new rules about trimming cuticles and it causing infections.

Like you said, it's probably fake tan - happens to me sometimes when I don't wash my hands properly after using it!
    mine did that when i used a moisturiser with tan in.
    It could also be if you've worn nail varnish and removed it - if it's old/cheap or just been on for a while, nail varnish stains your nails - I've had that loadsa times and you can get nail polish removers that come with whitening/stain remover in them.
    i realllllly wouldn't worry about it so much, it's not going to be anything serious that can't wait until when your mum gets back. chill out. :yes:
    Ballerina wrote:
    well i scrubbed my finger and it appears to have gotten rid of most of it, the yellow is actually on the edge of my nails at the side when i look closely

If it came off when you scrubbed, I'd say it's a fairly safe bet it's just being caused by your fake tan, or something you've touched.