Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I've got a doc's appointment on friday, gonna see if I can get some AD's... might just help =\
    You finally got round to going huh? Well done honey, I'm fucking proud of you for doing that. Keep me posted and don't you dare bottle out :heart: x
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Been prescribed some Fluoxetine (sp) hope it works, but I wont rely on it.
  • Options
    The Fluoxetine has started to mess up my sleep already >_<

Waking up every 4 hours isn't the best of things.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    The Fluoxetine has started to mess up my sleep already >_<

Waking up every 4 hours isn't the best of things.

oh honey.

it's probably just an initial reaction, give it a chance to settle down. not all ads work for everyone but i know that for myself and Kermit fluoxetine was a lifesaver. just keep your chin up and ride it out for a few days, but if it becomes unbearable go back to your doc.

x
  • Options
    I've got an appointment for about 2 weeks time, to see how things are going, I'll keep taking them til then, and if there's no improvement, I'll probably be prescribed something else.
  • Options
    Fluoxetine does take some getting used to, I always used to find the dry mouth in the morning was a pain. As was not being able to come.

But if they work for you then they are well worth sticking with. Trouble is for a lot of people 20mg isn't a big enough dose to make much difference.

Just keep your chin up and if these pills don't work, try some more. But rather than waiting for the ADs you need to be hassling your doctor for some counselling or therapy- that's where the real progress comes from.

Prozac stabilised me enough to be able to do therapy, and it saved my life by getting me through the worst, but it was therapy which fixed me.
  • Options
    I didn't get on with Fluoxetine. As Kermit says, it took ages to 'relieve' my frustration, it worsened my insomnia, and made me feel paranoid. Dry mouth sucked too :).

Tablets take a while to kick in properly. In my experience, if they aren't helping within 2 months of starting them, then they probably never will. But you can't just chop and change - you have to give your body a month or two to get it all out before trying anything else. In the same way that they take a while to kick in, they also take a while to leave.

One type of tablet doesn't suit all, and it can take a good while to find one in which the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

They don't make everything wonderful, they are just there to get you feeling a bit better. They are a stepping stone in the road to recovery - the real cure lies within. Just don't ask me where, because I'm damned if I can find it :).
  • Options
    I've seen about 209432843 therapists etc, and it works for a while, then it all comes flooding back, so I'm hoping the pills can atleast help slightly.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I've been on the verge of tears all week and Ive cried on and off pretty much all day today. I got really upset earlier and ran off crying - my mum just carried on making cakes

No one gives a shit about how unhappy I am, and if I ever say anything I get told 'well what do you expect?'

its ok though - have this drink, it'll make you feel better :rolleyes:

rach sweetie, people do give a shit, even if most of them are just internet people they are still worth something. i dont know much about your personal situation but what i do know is that you should never, ever give up on the hope that things will get better. because they do.

x
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I've seen about 209432843 therapists etc, and it works for a while, then it all comes flooding back, so I'm hoping the pills can atleast help slightly.

You need to feel the pain to work out how to cope with it, and that's why so many people find therapy so damned hard. It took me 18 months at three hours a week to learn how to let myself feel the pain.

I hope they help, but they again are only a temporary solution. Unless you stand up to your demons you will always be blighted by them. That sounds depressing but it shouldn't, I honestly believe everyone has the strength in them to do that, simply because I had the strength to, and I was on my knees and out for the count five years ago.

Rachie, its hard for people to show how much they care- nobody knows what to say when people are in tears. Is this a recent thing or has it been going on for a long time? Whatever it is I hope you feel a bit better...we're always on the end of a PM if you need a whinge and a moan.
  • Options
    hey, i was searching the internet and came across

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLpwJkin9Ow&search=good%20charlotte

and i found it really touching.. so if you have 5 minutes, watch it. :)
  • Options
    Not feeling too good. Been drinking- not a lot, but still, feel shit. Sitting here crying, worried senseless. Just seen what the boyfriends Loaded mag had in it, and had free with it, now feel shit. No wonder he looks at them. Can't compare to them. Just feel so fucking insecure, cos as I see it, they're better than me. I want to be perfect for him. Dont' usually feel like this. Just get the odd now and again shit feelinngs.

Fucking implant.
    Fucking alocoholl.

I used to want to look good for me. I used to put makeup on me. Now the only reason I bother is fro him. not right.

May go back to additional support. Will have another drink n think bout it 2moro. Have just been sliding down hill recently.
  • Options
    The birds in those mags are no more real than the gorrila in king kong, or the nazgul in lord of the rings, or supermans ability to fly. It's all special effects, terribly convincing, but with all the substance of fog.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The birds in those mags are no more real than the gorrila in king kong, or the nazgul in lord of the rings, or supermans ability to fly. It's all special effects, terribly convincing, but with all the substance of fog.
    Never thought if that. JUst they look so good. Just mkes me feel crap tbh. Never really had a problem with it before. only bout once, very occasional.
    They look so bloody perfect thou. He says I'm beautiful etc, but I'm constantly trying to chanfe me, so i woldn;t know.
  • Options
    Look good, not real. Like the chocolate river in charlie and the chocolate factory. Tempting, definitely; realistic, hardly...
  • Options
    Incidentally, don't make me spank you or tell bad engineer jokes.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Look good, not real. Like the chocolate river in charlie and the chocolate factory. Tempting, definitely; realistic, hardly...
    true. it isnt usually a prob thou. i'm usually fine withit. i usually enojy it myself. dont kno if ist the implant or the alchol. dont liek drinking on my own.
  • Options
    alcohol probably kiddo, why don't you get a nice glass of water and head off to bed.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Incidentally, don't make me spank you or tell bad engineer jokes.
    tmepting. lol. may go to bed soon. got busy day tomoroorow. nursey, colllege, then babysitting. fun. kepes me busy i spose.
  • Options
    You do know all those women are air brushed. No one really is that perfect. Plus, no harm really in what he's doing, only male like. :)
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    tmepting. lol. may go to bed soon. got busy day tomoroorow. nursey, colllege, then babysitting. fun. kepes me busy i spose.
    Sounds fun, have lovely dreams.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    alcohol probably kiddo, why don't you get a nice glass of water and head off to bed.
    yeah bed sounds good, thankyuo. sorry if iv'e been rambling. chheers. x
  • Options
    your boyfriend is with YOU, not them. that's what you have to remember. we all look!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    You do know all those women are air brushed. No one really is that perfect. Plus, no harm really in what he's doing, only male like. :)
    yea,h i know its' male like, n i usually enjoy iy too. jsut a bit eergh at the mo. thankyou thou. night, x
  • Options
    your boyfriend is with YOU, not them. that's what you have to remember. we all look!
    true. didnt thnik of that. he is wtih me- the poor sod! lol. but u have a piont- he's with me, not them. just like i;m with him, n not vin diesael!
  • Options
    Just read my postings. Shit comes to mind. I don't get the jealous-moodytype often. Only when I'm low, or have been drinking. I also apologise for my spelling in some posts.
  • Options
    Went to docs-heres a surprise- NO HELP!
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Just read my postings. Shit comes to mind. I don't get the jealous-moodytype often. Only when I'm low, or have been drinking. I also apologise for my spelling in some posts.
    that's ok sweetheart.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Went to docs-heres a surprise- NO HELP!
    *Hugs*. Sorry to hear that.

Think I may see Additional Support 2moro. Don't want to slide anymore downhill, partly because I know what I'm capable of. Which is shit scary really.

Not sure if I can see them again though. I thought I didn't need them anymore. I thought I could get out of it on my own after their little push as it were. Shit.

Don't think I'll be touching drink when I'm on my own again in a long while. When I'm out drinking with friends/boyf I'm fine. When I'm on my own- I turn into the mess which some of my posts reflect. Also have had terrible stomach cramps as a result 2day. Not pleasant. My stupid fault though.
  • Options
    I'm confused. On the one hand, I'm told my therapy sessions could soon be coming to an end because I don't seem to need them anymore, on the other, I just feel down. This is what seems to happen whenever I'm not working. I don't know - maybe I'll feel better when I return tomorrow afternoon.