Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fancy more time to shop on Sundays?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the problem i see is that pople in this country are forever being expected to work longer hours.
    sunday realy did used to be a day off from the daily grind for the majority.
    now you all seem willing to be owned seven days a week.
    they'll find a way of creating an eigth day before long and conning you into working that one as well.
    JsT wrote:
    If the store wants to open and staff are prepared to work (ie: not forced) then I dont see a problem.

but the problem is if your contract stipulates that you will have to work sundays and you really dont want to but you really need the job especially if your a parent to younger children both the adult and kids are going to miss out because of your need for a full-time job, so many will be pressured into working sundays and sacraficing a day with the kids
    Sofie wrote:
    Why exactly?

In my experience, i have two days off in which to get things done that i can't do during my working week, i.e. food shopping, bank visits, taking the kids out etc. etc.

For me, having Sunday as a longer trading day would cut down the rush of having to cram these tasks in.
    I'm confused. Surely, as Sunday is one of your days off it would be advantageous to you for trading to occur for longer?
    I don't get Sundays off automatically, as I said. It's simply a gentleman's agreement between me and the boss. There's nothing formal about it.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    but the problem is if your contract stipulates that you will have to work sundays and you really dont want to but you really need the job especially if your a parent to younger children both the adult and kids are going to miss out because of your need for a full-time job, so many will be pressured into working sundays and sacraficing a day with the kids
    Thats their choice though, not the companies fault.

At our place over half the Sunday shifts are overtime. They always get filled, the company offers the overtime the staff take it. Not the companies fault.

Then again I dont have children or a partner or whatever. Maybe my attitude would be different if I did.
    cut down the rush of having to cram these tasks in.
    having to cram things in ...everyone rushing around like headless chickens.
    at school we were told that an age of technology was coming ...meaning people would have to work less and less.
    all people would have more leisure.
    what happened?
    since i left school they even managed to put the words leisure and industry together!
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't get Sundays off automatically, as I said. It's simply a gentleman's agreement between me and the boss. There's nothing formal about it.

But my question still stands. If Sunday is generally one of your days off, surely it is beneficial to you to have this day open as one in which you can get the mundane tasks of life done?
    having to cram things in ...everyone rushing around like headless chickens.
    at school we were told that an age of technology was coming ...meaning people would have to work less and less.
    all people would have more liesure.
    what happened?
    since i left school they even managed to put the words leisure and industry together!

Money still make the world go round Mr Roll, and we're also part of a global economy. If people aren't working then they're not earning. Granted, technology has removed the necessity for a lot of hard manual labour, but in its place new jobs and the requirement for people to maintain the techonolgy has appeared.
    Money still make the world go round Mr Roll, and we're are also part of a global economy. If people aren't working then they're not earning. Granted, technology has removed the necessity for a lot of hard manual labour, but in its place new jobs and the requirement for people to maintain the techonolgy has appeared.
    i know ...looking at it from my long years ...it looks like it all went badly wrong.
    It would make little difference to me, as we're open 6:30am - 1am every day anyway, except Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, which are now 24 hours.

It would be nice to be able to pop into Tesco in town on the way home to get a drink when I've finished at 6 on a Sunday though...
    Franki wrote:
    It would make little difference to me, as we're open 6:30am - 1am every day anyway, except Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, which are now 24 hours.

It would be nice to be able to pop into Tesco in town on the way home to get a drink when I've finished at 6 on a Sunday though...

Agreed.

If people are willing to work it, especially at an increased rate of pay, it would certainly be advantageous to me also.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Excuse me? What kind of nonsense is that? In a lot of jobs in the retail sector, people don't get to choose what days they can work. We're not all doing 9-5 Monday to Friday jobs these days, you know! You either have to take the hours, or not do the job at all. And not doing the job is not an option for millions of families struggling to get by.
    Why are all these 'struggling families' not moaning between Monday and Saturday when they are 'forced' to work in the evenings or nights and not see their kids after school? Do you reckon they might have negotiated with their employers to only work during the days by any chance? I don't see how Sunday is any different to every other day of the week. If you need Sunday off to look after your children, then the chances are you'll need Saturday off as well. Plus every evening. Are we going to legislate against supermarkets opening then as well? And why only supermarkets?

Actually, Supermarkets are more likely to have kids working weekends anyway, because they can pay them less. I wouldn't be against legislation which entitled parents to one weekend day off a week, if they wanted one, however. But I would probably prefer more of an individual employer/employee agreement, since I'm not really in favour of the government poking it's nose in all the time.
    If people are willing to work it, especially at an increased rate of pay, it would certainly be advantageous to me also.
    Me too. When I used to work in a bar, I used to love my Tesco sandwich on a Friday night/saturday morning. But I could never get one on a Sunday morning. :(
    listening to you lot i'm convinced they aare putting stimulants in the water supply.
    Agreed.

You don't really need extended hours for that though. You just need to change the hours that you're open. For example, two tescos in my home town, one 10-4, the other 11-5...
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You don't really need extended hours for that though. You just need to change the hours that you're open. For example, two tescos in my home town, one 10-4, the other 11-5...

If you have the luxury of two Tescos in your town then that is certainly one way of resolving the problem, though i wouldn't say it was ideal.

I don't really see the issue of longer opening hours on a Sunday. If someone wants to open their business for longer then why shouldn't they be able to?
    I'm giving the example, you don't have to have two tescos to shift your opening hours.
    If you have the luxury of two Tescos in your town...
    Luxury? Sounds like an awful idea from a personal perspective and a pointless idea from a business one.:p
    Not too bright are you? How many branches of tesco do you think there are in london? or Birmingham? Aylesbury has a large enough population to support a tesco at one end of town, and a tescos at the other.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    How many branches of tesco do you think there are in london? or Birmingham? Aylesbury has a large enough population to support a tesco at one end of town, and a tescos at the other.
    In the cases of large cities like London, having countless stores is obviously of benefit. I'm talking about places far smaller than the big smoke.
    Know a lot about Aylesbury do you, been there often? Shut up.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Not too bright are you? How many branches of tesco do you think there are in london? or Birmingham? Aylesbury has a large enough population to support a tesco at one end of town, and a tescos at the other.

Whose brightness are you calling into question? Also, was it strictly necessary?
    Braintree has three. And a Sainsbury's.

Unfortunately the Tesco and Sainsbury's in town are both normal Sunday opening hours. Which is MIGHTY annoying when I'm walking home at 6 on a Sunday :(.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Know a lot about Aylesbury do you, been there often? Shut up.

Crikey, wrong side of bed this morning?
    Crikey, wrong side of bed this morning?
    Wrong side of the bed every morning as far as Fiend's concerned.
    Whose brightness are you calling into question? Also, was it strictly necessary?

Stargalaxy's naturally, and to be honest, I'm not too bothered if it were entirely necessary right now, I could have been quite a bit nastier and still been within the tone of some of the posts that are common on this board.

Anyway, back to the topic, it's the hours of opening that are limited, not when you can be open. For some reason most shops go for 10-4, I don't know why, because people I know like to lie-in and mince around on a sunday before having lunch, which leaves a gap from 2-4 to shop in.

ETA: shut up stargalaxative. You constantly voice comments that are deeply in error.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Stargalaxy's naturally, and to be honest, I'm not too bothered if it were entirely necessary right now, I could have been quite a bit nastier and still been within the tone of some of the posts that are common on this board.

Anyway, back to the topic, it's the hours of opening that are limited, not when you can be open. For some reason most shops go for 10-4, I don't know why, because people I know like to lie-in and mince around on a sunday before having lunch, which leaves a gap from 2-4 to shop in.

ETA: shut up stargalaxative. You constantly voice comments that are deeply in error.

We were just having a pleasant discussion though. Also, while i agree that P&D often decends into chilidsh abuse, it hasn't happened this time.

Still, i don't understand the necessity for opening hours to be limited, let alone made illegal. Different people have different scedules and for me later and longer opening would be an advantage.
    Would be an advantage to you, but someone will have to make the sacrifice for your conveinience (sp?). We already work more hours in this country than anywhere else in the EU, and for what?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Would be an advantage to you, but someone will have to make the sacrifice for your conveinience (sp?). We already work more hours in this country than anywhere else in the EU, and for what?

I'm sure it would also be an advantage for many other people too. I guess i just don't see why Sunday is special. I'm sure that plenty of people would appreciate the increased pay rate. Moreover, if your days off are on days other than Sunday then you'd have to work a full day's hours on each day anyway.
    It's not that sunday is "special" it's just an established day off. It's a day when the country should be able to take a break, together.