Home Travel & Free Time
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here

what is it that makes a good band

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay so heres the question:
what makes a good alternative /rock/ or even a good punk band?
i was asked this question today and i had no idea how to respond (:D + :rolleyes: + :blush: at me) because its a hard thing to describe.
but what would you say makes the difference between a legendary band like U2 for example whose music will probably keep going strong forever, against something like a band which you've never heard of or something like good charlotte - a band which you listen to for a certain sound but which will no doubt be short-lived and fade to nothing in the end...
- what creates the difference in your opinion?
and can you explain it :p ?
no offense to GC fans :angel:

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Double-Bass drumming.
    Good guitar solos.
    Good bass.
    Good singing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good lyrics? GCs lyrics are pretty crap compared to U2
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Haha - U2 may be 'legends' but they aren't *that* good really. :p

    Apart from the obvious like talent.. and good songs.. :p I think i good band needs;

    Witty lyrics.

    A mixture of influences.

    Energy - especially on stage so they aren't boring to watch live.

    Musical tightness - also means they'll be a good live band.

    Variety of sounds - i.e It's not JUST always guitar, drums, bass, lead singer - a few other instruments in there - Some brass, strings, electronics.

    Variety of ideas - i.e not all songs about one subject, one mood, one sound etc. i.e if they're all big melodic, happy, love songs - however good they are - it's not gonna amuse me.

    An icon - An individual/s who you aren't going to forget in your whole fucking life. With a whole lot of talent.

    General quirkiness. Something that makes them special. A bit different to the others. But if it's intentional..it works against them. :p

    Unfortunately for a band to get to the status of U2 it usually also means they have to be pretty bland.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know what this Good Charlotte sound like, but if U2's lyrics compare favourably then they must be fucking horrendous. Whoops, my crazed hatred of U2 is showing again ;)

    I'd say the artists and bands that have longevity are those that write lyrics and have musical styles that resound with more than just one, core group of people. Bands like The Who and singer/songwriters like Dylan (just to take two examples of long-standing and greatly appreciated talents) appealed to previous generations with really timely lyrics and new, eclectic, interesting, ear-catching, awe-inspiring sounds. But then those same sounds also still resonate with - and inspire - the yoof of today. Or at least some of them.

    There are some bands and artists of 30/40 years ago that - while "good" - don't have that timeless kind of quality that makes people listen to you once you stop doing constant tours and publicity. Of course, it also helps if you've built up an enormous fanbase that can pass the message of your music on to the next generation and continue to enjoy it themselves!

    Styles, gimmicks, snazzy haircuts come in and out of fashion. Great songwriting, good sounds and a genuine affinity for music are a lot harder to find in the music world and when you discover them I don't think many people are just willing to let them fade away with slipping chart positions and all that bollocks.

    Long live good music! :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A passion for music. All the musicians I admire didn't choose a career in music, they just have to write and perform it. If you took music away from them, they'd shrivel and die.

    That and a touch of talent, a helping of ambition and a shitload of drive.



    Oh the quintessential Les Paul/ Marshall stack combo. That helps :o
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    they must be fucking horrendous.

    Trust me they are :yuck:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First of all, the ability to make good catchy songs. Memorable one's. Instantly recognisable members, controversial lead signers. Good solos, riffs, general appetite for music. Strong presence on and off stage.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spiky hair, skateboards, tattoos, sweatbands...

    Oh sorry, I misread the question. That's what makes a popular one. Heehee.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the ability to rock out mental style and get a crowd really going.

    This is why KISS are one of my fave bands ever! never seen them live unfortunately but from the videos ive seen everyone seems to be having a ace time! the band, the crowd EVERYONE.

    god KISS rock.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Three words -

    We Are Scientists.

    :yes:
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Trust me, I'm a doctor Posts: 8,303
    A specific sound that sets them apart, with regards to punk; you can listen to any number of LA punk bands from the 80's and most of them are pretty generic... But you'll get the odd bad (like Bad religion and Rancid) that stand out and have a very individual vocal and musical style.

    *my 2 pence*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well for a start, they've got to write good original music. But truely great bands are ones that also have a unique sound, and that means using their instruments in an original way. That doesn't mean sticking a different instrument in there for the sake of it, or adding some electronic effects on in post-production. Listen to how Thom Yorke uses his vocals in Kid A for an example of using an ordinary instrument (well not really an instrument) in an original way to create an original sound. Another thing is that just because it's original doesn't mean it's good. Some bands come up with some really original music, but it's just not very good (usually the sort of crap that 'real music fans' like because no-one else gets - there's a reason). It sounds like the sort of stuff that truely great bands leave in the studio because they've already filled an album with better stuff.

    Oh, and the ability to do everything they do in the studio live.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originality, abrasiveness, challenging song topics, no covers, not taking themselves too seriously without being childish and they should preferably be "discovered" than marketed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    But you'll get the odd bad (like Bad religion and Rancid) that stand out and have a very individual vocal and musical style

    Bad Religion :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A good band needs to be original, creative, not affraid to experiment with their sound, have a mixture of influences, perform well on stage (getting the crowd involved).
    This is why my favourite band is KoRn, the bassist 'Fieldy' is into his hip hop and his own solo hip hop album, and this shows in his bass playing, the drumming is also hip hop influenced, while the rest is heavy metal. One of the first Nu-Metal bands (practically created a genre), use down-tuned 7 string guitars to create that grinding heavy sound. Jon Davis' voice can change from screaming to singing to scatting, they also often feature guest rappers showing their hip hop influence. Finally each korn album is so different with such a different sound, some albums feature use of synths e.t.c. Plus, how many metal bands do you know that feature bagpipes in some songs?
    Oh yeah and the lyrics in korn songs are fucking amazing.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Trust me, I'm a doctor Posts: 8,303
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Bad Religion :thumb:
    Seen them 3 times and I've heard nearly everything they've made :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Different genres (ie, dn't just write rock songs) and don't sound like every other new band
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    XTC wrote:
    Plus, how many metal bands do you know that feature bagpipes in some songs?

    AC/DC, The Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly...

    To be honest, Korn aren't as influential as all that. If you want to talk about nu-metal and all that jazz, then Faith No More are the band. They were the first ones to fuse rap/the beginnings of hip-hop to metal. I personally find Korn a little dull and derivative of those early rap/metal people. Follow the Leader is a good album though. However, I cannot overstate the awesomeness of Faith No More.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    True, Faith No More were the first band to fuse rap with rock (even Jon Davis from Korn states that in his opinion, Faith No More were the first nu-metal band) and Korn as a band were very influenced by Faith No More. However it doesn't change the fact that Korn are a very original band and although faith no more fused rap with rock, Korn took it to a completely new level with their sound.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A good cellist.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    An Epiphone Riviera w. p94s (plus minus Fender Strat), Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal and a Fender Hot Rod Deville amp. Being from NYC helps.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'll say heart and soul. bands and singers who put their all into every note they sing make me like them.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    A specific sound that sets them apart, with regards to punk; you can listen to any number of LA punk bands from the 80's and most of them are pretty generic... But you'll get the odd bad (like Bad religion and Rancid) that stand out and have a very individual vocal and musical style.

    *my 2 pence*

    Rancid fecking rule :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think a good band is one which you like the music they do tbh.
Sign In or Register to comment.