Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Warnings at work--verbal vs written

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So- here's the background--I got busted at work playing a game online (it wasn't even like a video game-I think that makes it worse)-- anyway I got a 'stern' verbal warning from the manager who is only like 3 years older than me-- and all I could do was basically sit there-I mean I was guilty so why even bother with a rebutle--plus they had evidence. Anyway-at the end of his 'stern warning' he said that next time I would get a written warning and all I could think was "why couldn't I just get a written warning this time?" --at least I wouldn't have to sit through the whole thing.

So this thread is dedicated to those who has recieved warnings from work, either written or verbal-- share your story--would you have preferred it have been verbal or written?

cheers

Comments

• Options
    Ive had loads. Formal and informal.

What you prefer doesnt come into it.

you did wrong- accept the consequences. By the sounds of it you just didnt like the fact that someone only 3yrs older than you has the authority to bollock you.

You get 3 warnings. Verbal. Written. Final Written. I also got a Final final written then dismissal.

Im not sure if this is standard procedure or if it was just my ex-employer company procedure but whether its a verbal or a written, you still have to listen to what they have to say and you still should have the opportunity to put your side across, with the aid of a representative should you wish.

But in answer to your question, id rather have a verbal as that would mean i wasnt as far down the discaplinary line.
  • Options
    I got a final without any others coz I didnt go to work while the boss was off coz I had an arguement with one of the girls.
  • Options
    Yeah- that's true--I definately know that I was wrong and really have no leg to stand on--- yes-I am a little perturbed that the manager and I are really close in age--but when your sitting there listening to a 'stern warning' pettiness is definately something you have time for. I guess I should be happy that that was only my first strike.
  • Options
    3 years is quite a gap to be honest, hell im only a month younger than our assistant manager
  • Options
    I always thought a verbal warning became a written warning, so, yeah, I'd prefer a verbal warning!

The duty manager at the shop I work in is a year younger than me :(
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Last year my mate and I were staying away Plymouthj Travelodge where we were installing a phone syste, and decided to go on the piss. My mate ended up climbing the outside of a flume on the local water park and ended up breaking, he then proceeded to set of a fire extinguisher in the hotle when we got back. The police caught up with us and we spent the next 13 hours in a cell.

It was a miracle we kept our jobs but we both got written warnings. My mate also got convicted of criminal damage and had to pay 10 grand for damages but he was lucky really. The water park lost a further 22 grand on top though lost profits where they had to remain closed for the first week of the summer holidays.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yeh, I've had a written warning before. Basically I used to work as a Admin assistant and I often worked alone as the manager was away most of the time. One day, me and my collegue decided to go out for a "long lunch" as no one was in the office. When we came back nearly 2 hours later (with bags of food), I see manager's car in the driveway.

I was so embaressed and ashamed, I couldn't eat my food (even though manager insisted I should before it "got cold." I was hungry up until I saw his car in the driveway.)

I only got a written warning and a few harsh words from the manager. I was really good at my job and I got on with everyone, so they kept the incident between everyone in the office. (It was only 5 of us). Next day when I went back, it was all fine again.
  • Options
    As far as I know by law you get a verbal warning (which technically they should put in writing saying they are giving you a verbal warning), a written warning and then anything other than that is up to the indivual company's discretion. Some give more verbals/writtens/some don't. Unless there is gross misconduct, in which case you can get dismissal without warnings.

I think.

I've never had any warnings. I'm a good girl :angel:
  • Options
    A verbal warning should be in front of a witness of your choice and has to also be recorded in writing on your personell file with a copy being sent to you. If they don't do this, they are breaking employment law.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote:
    Yeh, I've had a written warning before. Basically I used to work as a Admin assistant and I often worked alone as the manager was away most of the time. One day, me and my collegue decided to go out for a "long lunch" as no one was in the office. When we came back nearly 2 hours later (with bags of food), I see manager's car in the driveway.

I was so embaressed and ashamed, I couldn't eat my food (even though manager insisted I should before it "got cold." I was hungry up until I saw his car in the driveway.)

I only got a written warning and a few harsh words from the manager. I was really good at my job and I got on with everyone, so they kept the incident between everyone in the office. (It was only 5 of us). Next day when I went back, it was all fine again.

That does sound embarrassing--especially the food getting cold part--ouch. But at leats it's over now.
  • Options
    all I could think was "why couldn't I just get a written warning this time?" --at least I wouldn't have to sit through the whole thing.

So this thread is dedicated to those who has recieved warnings from work, either written or verbal-- share your story--would you have preferred it have been verbal or written?

cheers

It sounds like you don't quite understand the point. The verbal warning is less severe than the written warning, meaning that you are further away from being sacked. Of course, if your aim is to be sacked then just carry on playing the online games, you'll get a written warning next time ;)
  • Options
    All warnings must be documented in writing, and witnessed by a repensative of your choice, otherwise your employers are breaking the law and you can sue them for breech of contract, unfair dismissal etc.
  • Options
    At our work we get a warning that you are going to get a warning, then an informal warning, then a formal warning, either verbal or written, then final warning, then dismissal. It of course depends on the offence. If it was theft they could sack you on the spot. And my employers aren't very consistent with their procedure. They've been known to give final, final warnings and so on to some people.
  • Options
    Well I'm back to my old tricks--it's ok though. No, my intention is not to get sacked or canned but it helps me keep my sanity which is on thin ice--but I may be switching jobs soon--I put in an application for a sex shop, that should hold my attention at least until I make a better career move
  • Options
    Here is my situation where I work there are 6-7 mangers and one always stands at the exit door 1 hour before the finishing time so no one leaves early and it is a busy time

Anyway I had my radio on (WC2006 match) and heard the commentator say goal of the world cup and being a huge footy fan I wanted to see the goal. So I quickly asked the manger standing by the door can I just go past (exit door to the canteen where the TV is) I will be one min he asked me what area I worked and that next time I should let my manger know I said fine I’ll only be a min anyway. I went to the canteen next min I know (50sec later) my manger is their Saying I am missing from point of duty at a critical time and that I am going to get a letter (I assume it is a written warning)

My question is do I have a case to appeal against this warning and make sure it doesn’t go on my record I mean it seem to me the manger at the door let me go through just so he can call his friend and say you have a worker missing from your work station, basically shop me I would have just preferred getting a verbal warning saying don’t do it again son.
    :sour:
  • Options
    This thread is dead, you are better off starting a new one.
  • Options
    what do u mean dead its come back to the top no point starting a new one
  • Options
    Read the rules, it's an old thread. We don't start posting in old threads we start a new one.
This discussion has been closed.