Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

taking map more than once in a month

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okey doke here goes..... Took a map 2 and a half weeks ago after a condom split, scared the living crap out of me, went to doctor and got it within the 72 hour mark (28 or so hours after said incident) and took it and all seemed ok. I have just finished my period a couple of days before the condom split and then 4 days after i had another period, kind of freaked me out but i read the info on the map box and supposidly that can happen (Took levonelle or whatever its called). Was planning on going on the contraceptive pill anyway so this scare doesnt happen again, Doctor told me though that i cant go on it till the second day of my next period.

Big problem happened this morning, a condom broke AGAIN (seriously thought it was on right and everything, sex wasnt what i would call rough either...) anyway what im wonder is can i get the map again so soon after last taking it? I was looking at the info on the site and considering getting the iud coil soi can lesson the chances as i know the map isnt as effective taking it more than once close together. Im so so worried and my boyfriend is too, were always so carefull, he always wears a condom and i stupidly held off getting the pill as iv always had problems taking pills in general and well.....i suppose i was making excuses... The most important thing is, im not ready for a baby, and i dont think i ever will be!!

As a bit of a background thing, live in ireland and only havnt gotten map yet today as docs is closed saturday and in ireland you need a prescription for the map, SUCH A HASSLE!! Last time i got the pill i was waiting for 3 hours in the waiting area to see a doctor whom i had an appintment with, grr anyway... If it all goes wrong and i am pregnant id be going over to england to get an abortion anyway.... Its such a cop out living in Ireland, talk about dark ages....

Have to wait till monday now, which is in the time limit for map but still.... Argh im going to look like such a fool going in again so soon after the last time, and because its a family doctor i went to (small town...) i got an earfull for not being on the pill anyway.....

sorry for rambling, its just i only have my boyfriend to talk to about it and hes already stressed out so i kind of needed someone elses opinion...advice...whatever.... ah just to add, the sex im having is legal n all that...Im 21! (which means i should know better than to get myself into stupid situations...)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you using condoms within their use-by dates, and are they kite-marked? If they are, I'd suggest going over the whole putting them on thing with your boyfriend. It shouldn't really be happening this often!

Hope all goes okay :)
    Yup there kite marked n within date, the salt to the wound thing is that there Durex extra safe ......:( and yeah..shall be looking more closely at said bf when hes putting them on from now on.... although at the same time i was the one who put on the condom the last time i had the problem.... made fully sure too that i had it on right.....

Thanks by the way, really hope things go ok!!! :(
    Condoms are only 98% effective even if used correctly, so if you are having regular sex you should really consider using other forms of contraception in addition to condoms.

You do need to make sure you hold the teat in the end firmly (to squeeze the air out) when you roll it on, otherwise when he comes the sperm will tear the condom. Don't use oil-based lubrication either, such as vaseline or baby oil, as this causes the latex to weaken.

It's not really a good idea to use the MAP very often, as it is quite intrusive, but I don't think you will die if you do. I think you will probably just be told off by the district nurse.
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think you will die if you do. I think you will probably just be told off by the district nurse.

There's a difference? :nervous:
    There's a difference? :nervous:

Yeah, it's harder to ignore the Grim Reaper.
    From the conversation I had with the Nurse I saw you can have it more than once in one cycle, its just more likely to give you side affects and screw up your cycle for a bit.

I went grovelling twice, to the same Nurse for two split condoms and she said its sodding bad luck but it does happen. If you turn up, grovel and show real enthusiasm for hearing about extra forms of contraception she probably won't growl too much.
    I was looking at the info on the site and considering getting the iud coil soi can lesson the chances as i know the map isnt as effective taking it more than once close together. Im so so worried and my boyfriend is too, were always so carefull, he always wears a condom and i stupidly held off getting the pill as iv always had problems taking pills in general and well.....i suppose i was making excuses...

It would probably be a good idea to look into a different method of contraception if your condoms are breaking so often. Not just because of the heath implications, but it's going to be a right pain in the arse for you if you have to fanny about going to the doctors urgently all the time.

It doesn't matter than you're not great with pills either, loads of people are, and there are a whole caboodle of other things you can try. Just ask someone at your practice to go through it with you :)
    *huge sigh of relief*

Went into Doc today and got everything sorted, got the map, managed to get a different doctor this time who was really nice and understanding and who also had a chat with me about contraception and gave me free 3 month supply of The pill. She was so nice to me and didnt talk down to me at all which the last doctor kind of did. So very very glad!! Glad i have the pill now, i wont have to worry so much and me and my BF will have more fun!! Will continue using condoms though, i like the though of a failsafe there just incase.....!

Thanks for all your comments and advice/wisdom, very very much appriciated:)
    Just wondering really, do you have to pay for the pill in Ireland? You get in free in UK.
    Yeah ya do, its about 10 euro for a months supply i think, also have to pay for map (bout 14 euro a pop) and neither you can buy over the counter, need a doctors prescription

Comeplete dark ages.....and i wont even get started on the abortion thing....