Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ideas for first dates?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so I've gotten much better at asking girls out. But we always seem to slip into just being friends.

I don't really have any problem making the move, so long as it feels natural. But the problem is that it rarely does. It just feels too much of a leap going from just hanging out to snogging.

So I was wondering if anyone has some great first date ideas? Something where there's lots of innocent physical contact, putting you both at ease but also allowing things to build naturally.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Movie. Nothing fancy, but your right next to eachother and ackward silences are nicely avoided ;)
    So I was wondering if anyone has some great first date ideas? Something where there's lots of innocent physical contact, putting you both at ease but also allowing things to build naturally.
    A traditional suggestion, maybe, but going out to dinner has its charms. Aside from being a chance to learn a bit about what she likes to eat, and what wines she likes to drink, (for examples) it's also a great opportunity for a bit of flirting. As for physical contact, maybe you can touch her hand over the table - don't force it, though - or, if she's willing, a bit of footsie under the table. ;) It's a great testing ground, the way I see it.
    I'd consider a dinner date a bit much for a first date, especially when you're my age. Cinema is good :yes:. You could always go for an iced coffee/ice cream/<insert yummy food or drink item here> instead, especially given the lovely weather :D

Disadvantage with going to the cinema for a first date is the lack of time to really talk to eachother. Maybe going for a drink (I'm guessing you're 18+?) would be a better plan, sit close etc and get some physical contact.
    I'd consider a dinner date a bit much for a first date, especially when you're my age. Cinema is good :yes:. You could always go for an iced coffee/ice cream/<insert yummy food or drink item here> instead, especially given the lovely weather :D

Disadvantage with going to the cinema for a first date is the lack of time to really talk to eachother. Maybe going for a drink (I'm guessing you're 18+?) would be a better plan, sit close etc and get some physical contact.
    Start with a movie, then go for a drink. Best of both worlds. :p
    Cheers, guys

But, well, we both work at the cinema. Lol. And already done the going for a drink. And went for a (pub) meal when we went out last time. So I guess it's more like a third date even though neither of those really felt like dates. E.g. her friend was with us when we went for a drink after work.

I don't know, think maybe I'm just a bit crap at flirting unless the girl's obviously into me. My ex asked me out so I never had any of these problems. ;) But surely there's some middle ground, where the girl's not so obvious.

The kind of date I'm thinking of is like ice skating. Works best if neither of you are that good. You keep falling over, helping each other up etc. But the rinks round us are the outdoor seasonal kind, and are now gone for the summer.
    The kind of date I'm thinking of is ice skating. Works best if neither of you are that good. You keep falling over, helping each other up etc. But the rinks round us are the outdoor seasonal kind, and are now gone for the summer.
    Take her out for the day to find an indoor ice rink. ;)
    Iceskating, you've been watching rocky:p
    Iceskating, you've been watching rocky:p
    Thankfully, I haven't. I don't know where I got that one from.
    lazer quest, the zoo (i would possibly marry someone that took me to the zoo on a 1st date, its like the best thing ever), ice skating as said above, a bar, for coffee,
    Ooh, thought of another one myself. Tobogganing. There's an indoor snow slope behind where we work and, though skiing and snowboarding are pretty expensive and bloody hard, they also do sledging which is a right laugh.

The zoo is a great idea. I'll definitely have to look into that.
    my boyfriend took us to a custom pizza shop with tiny booths so we were super close
    I always recommend bowling as a good place- you can have a laugh and a joke, and you get to admire the view every time she bends down to throw the ball;)

I wouldn't recommend you go to Xscape (you may as well have put your postcode on here:p) as its always full of scallies.
    Kermit wrote:
    I always recommend bowling as a good place- you can have a laugh and a joke, and you get to admire the view every time she bends down to throw the ball;)
    And if she's no good, teaching her how to bowl involves physical contact. ;)

I'm a traditionalist. Dinner and drinks.
    Was going to say iceskating but Livin' on a prayer beat me to it! So that and roller skating have lots of scope for innocent physical contact ;) Or go for a drink and pool? Time to chat across the table and to sneak glances at her while she's focused on potting. Or find out a band she likes and try to go to a gig? Or see if you town is holding any events like live music nights? Would advise something active that needs you both to get involved, so it's a more memorable day then. Cinema is ok for first dates but I think there are more inventive things you could think of. Good luck with the date!
    Was going to say JackSkellington is either dead or married by now.

Look at thread age.
    Luce wrote: »
    Was going to say iceskating but Livin' on a prayer beat me to it!

You don't say.
    Luce wrote: »
    Was going to say iceskating but Livin' on a prayer beat me to it!

Yeah, beat you by about 3 years. How did you do such a n00b mistake raising such a dead thread??? :lol:
    Requiescat in Pace - this thread.
    First dates can be tricky. Going out for a coffee is casual, and there are less "awkward moments". The problem that I have for going out watch a movie is that there are less moments of talking. And getting to know each other is very important at that stage. A walk in the park will be nice too, or to an amusement park, many innocent interactions can be done in that set-up.