Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

comfy smart shoes for wide bastard feet.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Title says it all, really. I have a wedding to go to next friday, which I really want to enjoy (and be able to dance at!), but there is one thing standing in my way. Shoes.

I live in trainers, flip flops and flat pumps, and have never found a pair of snazzy shoes that haven't crippled me after approximately 2.3 minutes. But I'd like to.

My problems are twofold:

1. my feet are a stupid shape. they're short (size 3) but wide as all hell, like little isoceles triangles. Shoe people assume that if you have little feet, you will have lovely, dainty little narrow feet. Not so. in the past I have had to go up to a 4 or even 5 to get the buggers in width-ways, which of course leaves 10 miles of shoe at the heel and toe where my foot is not. Never a great look.

2. I have arthritis in my toes, and thus they have very little patience for uncomfortable shoes. Massive heels are also out of the question.

So, I need shoes that are short enough, wide enough, heeled as I am a midge, but not so heeled that I can't walk, and as comfortable as possible. Does such a shoe exist? Does anyone have any guidance for me? Anyone share my problem(s) and successfully shoed themselves up?

I'm going shopping tomorrow, and am going to pop into clarks (good old wider fitting!), but am at a loss as to where else to look. I had a brainwave which involved looking in plus size shops for the wiiiiiiide shoes, but the ones I've tried so far start their ranges at a size 4 :(

Please somebody help!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you have a Russell & Bromley there in Leeds? They'll fit you out properly, and decent shoes too.
    Aye, I am fairly sure we do. I will add it to my list of potential places of torture :)

I could shop for trainers all day long, but MY GOD I hate shopping for proper shoes.
    wedges rule if you can't walk in heels!
    Evans do wide shoes and also I think New Look have started to do wider fittings.
    scholls
    get a reallllllly long dress (or whatever you're wearing) so you can wear trainers and noone will know. sorted! :D
    get a reallllllly long dress (or whatever you're wearing) so you can wear trainers and noone will know. sorted! :D

:lol:

That's what I'm going to do for MY wedding! White converse baby - who will know? But sadly I can't afford a new dress for this one, so I'm recycling an old one, and it's just past my knees. Shoefinding hell :(

Thanks for the suggestions, peeps. I'm off now, so send me lucky hunting vibes.....
    kaffrin wrote:
    :lol:

That's what I'm going to do for MY wedding! White converse baby - who will know? But sadly I can't afford a new dress for this one, so I'm recycling an old one, and it's just past my knees. Shoefinding hell :(

Thanks for the suggestions, peeps. I'm off now, so send me lucky hunting vibes.....

my mate always said she was going to do that for her wedding (like out of that film) but she's getting married next year and she's not! boo.

good luck. :yes:
    i have the same problem...my feet are size 3 in length but i wear a 4 because they are stupidly wide. amazingly primark shoes in a size 4 are wide enough for my feet
    Urgh. I just spent hours walking around every bloody shoe shop in Leeds, and found exactly nothing.

The ones that fit (maybe about 5 pairs of the 3 billion I tried on) were all the wrong colours. It got to a point, after I'd found some awesome comfy ones that fit perfectly in Clarks (but were GREEN - my dress is black and pink) where I considered buying them, and just getting another dress, such was my frustration.

Grrrr. The worst part is that I'm only going to have to go back in tomorrow and try again. I hate hate shoe shopping :(
    i'm not keen on shoe shopping either. i'm either a 5 or a 6 but no where really does half sizes (generally one is too small and one too big!). i just hope the shoes i do have never die.

what i hate most is bra shopping. :crying:
    im between a 6 and a 7 and have wide-ish feet and a stupid high instep, which means theres loads of shoes that are really uncomfortable for me to wear. Also my feet are slightly different sizes. I hate shoe shopping too, although it sounds worse for you being that your feet are so short.
    Can you wear posh looking flip flops? That's how I cheat at things that require me to dress smartly.
    Can you wear posh looking flip flops? That's how I cheat at things that require me to dress smartly.

I had that thought too, but all the ones I tried that are smart enough lack the stretchyness I need to get my bastard feet in. There isn't a lot of give in the leather straps.

I do have some plain black ballet type pumps that miraculously fit (cause they have loooow sides) that I could wear if I get desperate enough. I'm just still clinging to the hope I can find something with at least an inch or two of heel to stop me looking stumpy in my dress, as I don't have the longest legs in the world..

Someone should start a reasonably priced fashion shoe shop for all us odd-footed people. They'd make a mint. :yes:
    Do you not get bootmakers or shoemakers anywhere anymore, or is only possible to buy shoes off the shelf?
    I imagine there probably will be a few shoemakers around, but I don't think they'd be cheap...

On the bright side, I went shopping again today, resigned to the fact I would have to get the green shoes and then another dress, but came across a very slightly frumpy but still passable, and REALLY comfy pair of black wedges in Clarks, much to the delight of Mr. K, who'd tagged along, and who feared a mammoth shopping trip was ensuing. Result!
    I have just as much trouble finding footwear, my feet are the opposite to yours, im a size 7.5 (which is quite big) yet my feet are SO narrow.

The only thing that ever really fits is trainers, we should just live in trainers :yes:
    Just wanted to sympathize as i also have really wide feet and struggle getting shoes that fit. Grr
    Glad you found some.