Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

the things we tell our kids.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i remeber my grans house having gas lights.
the milk the coal and general hardware were delivered by horse and cart.

what you gonna be telling your kids?
we had to make do with hot and cold running water.
we had to make do with one shower and a jaccuzi.
we had to load the washing machine and dishwasher by hand.
we only had one car each!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

True. The slavery in other countries have led to the good supply of goods within the richer parts of the world. Our kids will say: "What! Your house didn't run on uranium?" or something like that. :p
    Haha, this sounds a bit like my dad and his mates in the pub.

All sitting around pissed telling the worst stories from their childhood they can think of and then telling each other "LUXURY!!! We had to walk 12 miles to school through marshland in a blizzard with only one pair of shoes between the four of us" etc etc ad nauseum.

I think we'll have our fair share of political and socio-economic horror stories to terrify and humble our children with - even if they are from the other end of the scale.
    briggi wrote:
    I think we'll have our fair share of political and socio-economic horror stories to terrify and humble our children with - even if they are from the other end of the scale.
    like ...oh my god i remember when the shop ran out of marigolds for three months and we had to pick the dirty dishes up with socks on our hands!
    then they ran out of socks ...
    like ...oh my god i remember when the shop ran out of marigolds for three months and we had to pick the dirty dishes up with socks on our hands!
    then they ran out of socks ...

:lol:

I remember that, too... [like] it was yesterday
    briggi wrote:
    ! We had to walk 12 miles to school through marshland in a blizzard with only one pair of shoes between the four of us" etc etc ad nauseum.

:lol: heard all that!
    I will be telling my kids that I had to work and show I was commited to have a horse, and that they will too.

Oh, and assuming I have girls - even though they don't do sex education until 15/16, that doesn't mean boys aren't thinking about it from the age of 12, speaking from experience. :rolleyes:

Dunno what I'd tell them about "history" kinda stuff. Maybe that my printer could only; scan, photocopy and print. And that my bank card only did direct debits, cash withdrawels and guarantee cheques.

My IT teacher was always on about how they didn't have central heating, and how her first house had an outside toilet, and that was why the temperature in the ICT room was always as low as it could legally be before we had to leave.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I'll be telling them "Oi, get me a beer."
    "Oi, go clean the hovercar."
    "Oi, child, get the lasagne from the replicator."
    "Oi, child, stop complaining... you wouldn't beleive what I had to do... when we didn't have this technology. We had to make and cook lasagne... or buy pre packed stuff... it didn't just come ready to eat! Cleaning the car meant using a hose and sponge and cloth... getting beer used to mean a trip to the shops!"
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

To go off-topic. When oh when will we all have hoverboards? I remember watching B2TF and feeling SURE they couldn't be too far off.

I still want one :grump:
    briggi wrote:
    When oh when will we all have hoverboards?

What are... oh. I get it. blush.gif
    You can make a hoverboard now, can't buy them... but it is quite possible to make one!

They are mighty dangerous though.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I'll be telling them "Oi, get me a beer."
    "Oi, child, get the lasagne from the replicator."
    "Oi, child, stop complaining... you wouldn't beleive what I had to do... when we didn't have this technology. We had to make and cook lasagne... or buy pre packed stuff... it didn't just come ready to eat! Cleaning the car meant using a hose and sponge and cloth... getting beer used to mean a trip to the shops!"
    and they'll say ...you big fat lying old bastard!
    they will know you drove through the car wash ...phoned for a pizza and beer ...put a box in the micro ...
    and they'll say ...you big fat lying old bastard!
    they will know you drove through the car wash ...phoned for a pizza and beer ...put a box in the micro ...

The drive through carwash is a rip-off! Plus it hardly does the job...

I am just not gonig to clean my car.
    What I want to know is, when we're old and the grandchildren say, "Granny, Grandad, sing us some songs from the old days!" what are we going to sing?! :chin:

Oh and drive through car washes are not good for your car! In the handbook thingy that comes with the car it advises us not to use them.
    Miffy wrote:
    What I want to know is, when we're old and the grandchildren say, "Granny, Grandad, sing us some songs from the old days!" what are we going to sing?! :chin:

Oh and drive through car washes are not good for your car! In the handbook thingy that comjes with the car it advises us not to use them.
    My humps :p

Yeah, drive through car washes are no good for the paintwork etc on your car. Much better to do it yourself.
    Doofay wrote:
    My humps :p

Exactly. Won't that be weird?! :lol:
    J wrote:
    I'll be reminding them of nans cooking and the way people used to go to church every Sunday.
    you must be older than me!

I'm gonna tell them we used to have planes that could fly you at twice the speed of sound and get you from London to New York in like 3.5 hours but now it takes 7 hours ... it aint all progress... :p
    I'm gonna tell them we used to have planes that could fly you at twice the speed of sound and get you from London to New York in like 3.5 hours but now it takes 7 hours ... it aint all progress... :p
    good point.
    reminds me ...in victorian times the royal mail could and would deliver a letter by next day to any adress in the uk.
    whatever remote island or village or valley or mountain you lived in ...the post would be there in the morning.
    by horse by boat by bycicle and by train ...what went wrong?
    good point.
    reminds me ...in victorian times the royal mail could and would deliver a letter by next day to any adress in the uk.
    whatever remote island or village or valley or mountain you lived in ...the post would be there in the morning.
    by horse by boat by bycicle and by train ...what went wrong?

Current Government inneficiency... letting private companies into the mail scene... and trying to do it cheaper and cutting back on much service.

I shall tell my Children of the days... when fighter jets were flown by men... men went into the battlefield in tanks and on foot... battleships existed.... submarines had crews... and robots were a thing of dreams!

Soon... all our wars will be fought by computers. Remote people back at home in bases will be controling them. It'll be one big game to them before long, in their nuclear bunkers. Us on the surface will become mere collateral.

And I'll tell them of the fields of grass that used to grow, where you could lie and have a smoke and relax on a fine day. instead of the landscape scorched by global warming, all dry and barren... or all icey and cold, depending.

Depressing future I have, no?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    "Heh... In my time, computers couldn't make coffee... if you wanted any you had to go to the kitchen and use a different machine to make it.
    And the average car only went up to 120 km/h, not 1200 like it is now. And if you weren't careful, two cars could clash with each other. Not to mention that pedestrians used the same streets, and you had to be careful not to hit any."