Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dentists and Needles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yesterday I went to the dentist for a normal check-up. I had a couple of xrays done and I got a phone call this afternoon asking me to make an appointment to have a filling sometime soon.

I've had fillings in the past when I was younger and I don't remember much bad about them, just the cotton wool sausages being shoved in my cheek and my face feeling huge on one side for a while afterwards. This time, however, I've been told to expect to have to have the area numbed (I assume I never had that when I was younger) and it's going to involve several needles.

I am absolutely petrified of needles. I've had to have about eight blood tests in the past year and it was only during the most recent one that I didn't hold my Mum's hand (I'm 22!). The problem I have with it is the thought of a needle snapping when it's in me. I tend not to breathe much during blood tests cos I'm too scared of moving and the needle snapping. I can't bear the thought of several needles being in my mouth, seeing them and having to lie so still (what if I panic and move and the needle snaps?!).

Has anyone else had an injection at the dentist and could you please share your experience to let me know what I'm in for? My appointment is in early September (earliest they could do) so I'm got ages yet for my imagination to run wild :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've had 5 at the dentist. Not sure whether they'd do this to you, but when I had mine they put some numbing gel on my gums to numb the area. After a few minutes, they stuck the needle in and I felt nothing. Because of the numbing gel, I felt nothing for hours and found talking hard. (I think I did also dribble at some point and only realise when my t-shirt was wet!)
    Sofie, when you say "5", did you mean you've had one needle each time on five occasions or five needles during one occasion?
    I was at the dentist today :p

To get a filling you'll only need one injection and dentists tend to hide the needle anyway and it doesnt hurt *that* much. I get this bubblegum stuff (meant for kids :p) on my gum first which numbs the area slightly and then you dont feel the injection that much.

I was terrified of getting injections at the dentist and had to get all my dental treatment done at the Dental Hospital when I was wee.

Tell the dentist that you're anxious about it and Im sure they'll try their best to help you.
    Sofie, when you say "5", did you mean you've had one needle each time on five occasions or five needles during one occasion?

The first time I had two (to remove 2 teeth) and the second time I had three. (to remove three teeth)
    If you had them when you were younger and your cheek felt hugs then it would have been numb, so it will be exactly the same as when you were younger and you coped just fine then, so you will be fine again.

Dental needles go far shallower than blood test needles so compared to them the Dentist won't be a problem for you.

I'm sure you can take your mum along if it makes you feel better and she's got the time to do it.

Anything else ask away, my mum is a Dentist...
    If you had them when you were younger and your cheek felt hugs then it would have been numb, so it will be exactly the same as when you were younger and you coped just fine then, so you will be fine again.

Dental needles go far shallower than blood test needles so compared to them the Dentist won't be a problem for you.

I'm sure you can take your mum along if it makes you feel better and she's got the time to do it.

Anything else ask away, my mum is a Dentist...

But what would they have numbed me with before if it wasn't something in an injection? (cos I've definitely never had a needle near my mouth before)

I spoke to our Occupational Health Nurse at work about it - not intentionally, but we just got chatting and she ended up almost counselling me! She's going to get hold of some similar needles to show me so I can see what they look like and I know more about what to expect.

Oh, and my Mum's already asked her boss not to put her in for work on that day ;)
    my mums a dental nurse, if you're really bad then you can be sedated if your practice does it - but it involves another needle
    personally i've never felt the injection until they did it near my tooth when i had some adult teeth removed and that really hurt, i think they usually just do it in your gum so you hardly feel it
    then you just feel like your lip is down your chin for a few hours.
    You would have had a needle for it I'm fairly sure, you may not have seen it but I suspect it would have been there.

Unless it was very minor work and could be done with no numbing.

What the nurse has offered to do is called desensitisation and is usually very effective for most people, especially when combined with a bit of grin and bear it.

You need to get over your problem with needles to make the whole of life simpler, not just for the dentist, so treat it as a life skill and try not to wind yourself up about the appointment.

Try and avoid the sedation line if you can, you need to have a responsible adult with you afterwards, and can't drive for a bit and such like so has a much greater impact on your life.
    Im also terrified of needles, and im much worse with ones in my mouth

Definitly, defitnitly tell the dentist you have a fear of them. Ive found they are normally really understanding and will use extra numbing gel, and be extra gentle, or suggest an alternative
    Usually the Dentist is really good, its something they come across a lot.

Get yourself into their good books by avoing the phrases:

'I hate Dentists' or 'I'm scared of Dentists' and the like.

Stick with I'm scared of dentistry, or I'm scared of needles, unless of course it's them you hate personally.
    Thanks for all your help and advice everyone!

I've just spoken to my Mum about the times I had fillings when I was younger and she's fairly sure I must have had an injection those times too because of the blown up cheek feeling afterwards. She's got an appauling memory so she can't remember if there was even ever any mention of needles at the time!

I really can't believe I'd have had an injection then and not felt / known about it! If that's all it is I'm not that worried after all. Maybe they mention needles when you're older cos you're likely to ask more questions and notice more of what's going on around you. Come to think of it, they probably need your consent too - I think I'm a bit old for my Mummy signing the forms now!
    The needles aren't bad. Like you I hate them, but for me last time that was the easiest bit. If in doubt about the pain ask for one either side of your tooth, as I didn't find the anasthetic strong enough, but then it was a very different case.

I had to have the edges of my tooth drilled down so he could remould it, and after 3 seconds I went into a full panic attack because it hurt that much as he was basically using the drill on the nerve. Far worse than a filling could ever be. My parents want me to have it crowned, and I refuse point blank unless it's under general anasthetic.

Last time he tried to inject me I bit him (I was about 8), but this time I was staring at the ceiling and didn't even notice, and I'm the worlds biggest wimp when it comes to pain.
    You ever had a general anaesthetic? I'd think twice.

If it needs crowning then you should look at some of the other options like valium, entonox or sedation.
    I have no qualms with needles, but when I needed an injection to have my crown my eyes were streaming. The pain was near unbearable. They did not give me any numbing gel!!!
    I've had a ridiculous amount of needles in my mouth (crap teeth = many fillings). I'm not scared of needles, but I am a MASSIVE baby when there is anything to do with my mouth (violently hate going to the dentist) and the best tip I can give is to close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing until it's all over. Not only will this calm you down, if you don't look at the needle, I find it hurts loads less.

I've never had this numbing gel business, but then again I'd probs refuse it cause having the guy's gloved fingers in my mouth freaks me out about 1000 times more than the actual injections.
    last time i needed an injection i didn't even know he was about to do it 'cause i close my eyes while i'm on the chair (as the light is too bright) so i didn't panic or anything. it doesn't hurt so much it's just a little prick and i should imagine the needle doesn't go very far in. afterwards you'll probably look a bit daft and not be able to feel half of your face. :thumb:
    I have had shit loads in my mouth... I had over crowding when I was younger... had to have 6 baby and 4 adult teeth removed...

The needle they use is tiny...
    I didnt have any of the numbing stuff...

I find it varies... some of them you barely feel, some hurt... but the pain is only for a few seconds! Its nothing much to worry about!
    JamesZero wrote:
    I have had shit loads in my mouth...

I find it varies... some of them you barely feel, some hurt... but the pain is only for a few seconds! Its nothing much to worry about!
    Same here. The neadle only goes in a tiny bit so theres no chance at all of it snapping inside you.
    kaffrin wrote:
    the best tip I can give is to close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing until it's all over. Not only will this calm you down, if you don't look at the needle, I find it hurts loads less.

Yep, I agree with this, take some deep, even breaths and it'll be done before you know it. Then you won't feel a thing. It's not terribly painful anyway tbh.
    Sedation is the best thing if your anxious, i had it for my dental work and would highly recommend it. For starters your so relaxed you don't have a care in the world so you wouldn't move you also wouldn't notice if they had injected gums, after the procedure you may experience memory loss of it which is a good thing i had this memory loss and can't remeber anything after the injection until i came round i believe this has helped as the experience wasn't traumatic. I have a huge fear of needles and although sedation involves a needle it is in the back of the hand which is definatly better than in your gum.
    My old dentist was fantastic, alsways did a good job and never needlessly gives out fillings.

My new dentist (because the old one retured) has a younger dentist in his surgery. my first ever appointment she told me i needed 12 fillings, including all my old ones been removed and replaced and then cleaned my lower teeth with out warning me first.

When the main dentist did my fillings he did 4, told me that was all i needed and the rest were not bad enouhg to justify them been filled. But the whole process took ages and hurt like a kick in the bollocks! So i now hate dentists and avoid them if i can!!!
    Don't be a pussy. My wisdomteeth had 4 roots and they were antangled with the nerves of my 7th molars. I had to get all 4 removed at once in hospital (general anaesthesia). The doctor (who is an absolute expert) told me he had to dissasemble my teeth piece by piece or he wouldn't have get them out. (teeth-saw which makes 40k revolutions a minute)
    I ate soup for a week and had 2 cheeks that resemlbed two baseballs. Moreover the wounds are suppurating and generally hurt like a bitch.
    All you can do is explain to your doctor of your fear so they can be aware of it.

I'm like you, I'm absolutely terrified of needles. I've had an injection in my mouth before and it didn't hurt too much. For my last two fillings, I didn't have one. I refused to have one so I had white fillings without using a drill or anything.

I know I need some more fillings now as my teeth are really hurting but I'm too scared to go :blush:
    I've had a lot of teeth out at the dentist due to overcowding/braces etc. The needle hurts for about three seconds and thats it. I had my bottom wisdom teeth taken out last week under general anathetic and its really not that nice. I luckly didn't swell up that badly, but the pain was unbearable at some points, even with the amounts of codine I was taking. And they had to put my canular (tube for the anathstic to go into your blood stream) in my elbow rather then the back of my hand because they couldnt find a vein! You wonder why I have a phobia of needles.
    Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Can I just add, I had a brace for two and a half years (had it take off nearly three years ago) and, six months before it was put on, I had an op under general anathetic to have five teeth out due to over-crowding. I had gas to put me to sleep for that because I was so bad with needles.

I've got another blood test at the doctors due before I have the filling so I can have another trial run at trying to keep calm around needles.

I just hope it's as simple as it was when I was younger and I didn't even realise. I'm contemplating calling the dentist and asking them to check my record to tell me if I've had it done before... I thought that might put my mind at rest a bit more, plus I can ask them to make a definite note on my records about my dislike of needles and how they're going to have to be gentle with me.
    i absolutey despise dentists and needles :no:

they never seem to work properly, he does it once and starts working and i can feel the pain, usually end up with about 4 injections .. and he usually has to wiggle it around a bit and although its not sore its all agghhhhhhhh :yuck: :yuck:

as said before, close your eyes and breathe steadily, about all you can do!
    I've had a lot of teeth out at the dentist due to overcowding/braces etc.

Same here. And one time, they decided that they to take a tooth of mine (along with a few others) because it was just hanging there and was nearly out anyway.
    And they had to put my canular (tube for the anathstic to go into your blood stream) in my elbow rather then the back of my hand because they couldnt find a vein! You wonder why I have a phobia of needles.

I had that once; kept catching whenever I went to change my clothes...
    Sofie wrote:
    Same here. And one time, they decided that they to take a tooth of mine (along with a few others) because it was just hanging there and was nearly out anyway.

I had that once; kept catching whenever I went to change my clothes...

I caught when I got changed into my clothes from my gown. Mind you I should have taken photos of the bruises I got last time I went blood doaning, they where massive.
    And they had to put my canular (tube for the anathstic to go into your blood stream) in my elbow rather then the back of my hand because they couldnt find a vein! You wonder why I have a phobia of needles.

I prefer it in the elbow. I thought it hurt less. The last time they tried to find a vein in my hand first, and were fishing around in there for ages before I asked if they could just put it on the inside of my elbow (there are loads of big juicy veins there so they normally have all the luck). They got it first time, and the mark had healed up in a couple of weeks. The back of my hand is still a bit scarred from the first attempts, 6 months on...

Then again, as long as things aren't in or near my mouth, I don't mind so much. They can stick needles in me all day, but the minute anyone goes anywhere near my mouth I'm a quivering wreck in the corner. Stupid, no?