Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Supplements while training

smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What types of supplements are best to take when training? To increase in size and keep toned. The only thing i do at the moment is stick to a high protein diet.

Thanks,
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    creatine is good, I found I was a tad stronger and had gained some mass, however drink lots of water too. there is a loading phase where you take it 4 times a day for a week then once a day for about 3 months and have a weeks rest then repeat cycle.

I have only had one bad experiance with it and my eye twitched it might be due to stress as well. but I have taken it about 3 cycles.

a good book is Optimum nutrition by Patrick Holford it tells you about all the vitamins you need.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Bitty wrote:
    creatine is good, I found I was a tad stronger and had gained some mass, however drink lots of water too. there is a loading phase where you take it 4 times a day for a week then once a day for about 3 months and have a weeks rest then repeat cycle.

I have only had one bad experiance with it and my eye twitched it might be due to stress as well. but I have taken it about 3 cycles.

a good book is Optimum nutrition by Patrick Holford it tells you about all the vitamins you need.

Yea i think the science behind it, is that the creatine draws the water in to your muscle (making your muscle look bigger). What type of creatine was it you had? I no you can go holland & baratts and get a powder, but i think you can also get it in pill form.
    Thanks for the info :thumb:
  • Options
    You don't want creatine in any form other than powder, which you mix with water. I've read other methods arn't very effective. Creatine draws in water which can make them grow larger if you train properly and also replenished ATP so you can perform more muscle contractions in a workout. Good stuff but if you don't stick to a workout program results can be minimal.
  • Options
    Yeah pill and in serium form are no good, I have herd it only provides placebo effects, on my Brand USN it says mix it in with fruit juice so it can absorb better. the brands I have used have been Met-RX, Bodypower (holland and Berrets/GNC own, I hate their protien powder cheap and nasty POS), and USN
  • Options
    Bitty wrote:
    Yeah pill and in serium form are no good, I have herd it only provides placebo effects, on my Brand USN it says mix it in with fruit juice so it can absorb better. the brands I have used have been Met-RX, Bodypower (holland and Berrets/GNC own, I hate their protien powder cheap and nasty POS), and USN

I used 'LA Muscle Creatine' whilst training for a month and saw some gains but was doing a lot of cardio so I didn't see it's the full potential. It contains Dextrose and other insulin mimickers which produce a spike and force the creatine into the muscles. Better uptake but you could easily use something cheaper and see results. Also noticed my endurance improved, but it is better suited for weight training if you are after mass gains.