Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Council Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am moving into my house on the 1st July is it too early to sort out council tax now? Also I am living with student and I am not a student so will my discount be effective as soon as I apply for council tax?

Comments

• Options
    Phone the council i don't think it's too early.
    As for the discount, i'm not sure.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    If you are living alone you get a 25% discount, even if you aren't a student. If you aren't you have to pay full price :( but at least it will be shared out...
  • Options
    You get a 25% discount if you live with students but are not one yourself.
  • Options
    That is only the case if you are the only non-student.

Children and students don't count as taxable people, so you would get the single occupancy discount if you aren't a student but only if you were the only one.
  • Options
    If you are the only taxable person in the property then you get the 25% discount.

Students aren't taxable.

Therefore in a house of 3 students and 1 non-student, you would get the 25% rebate. But with 2 students and 2 non-students you wouldn't get it.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Sorry Kaz, just realised that none of us actually answered your question! I'm sure you have got it sorted by now, but if not, yes you will still be eligible for the discount even if you apply early - they will just charge you from the day you move in and take your cirumstances into consideration when you let them know.