Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Double OS - Formatting - BIOS question.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I have Win XP and Win 98 installed (used Win 98SE for older stuff as compatibility wizard sucks, anyway they're both installed on one HD with a partition, and when I load windows I get a BIOS message asking which OS to load,

if I just format one partition (the one with WIN 98SE ) will it disapear from the bios automaticly? or will It stay there and if I tried to load it up i'd get an error? its just when my PC loads up it takes ages as I either have to select XP or 98 or leave it and it takes bout 30seconds longer, I want to get rid of 98 SE off of it etc,

Hope this makes sense,
G

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    First, it's not a bios message. It's a message from the newer version of windows (xp). If you formatted the 98 partition it wouldn't disappear as far as I know, you'd have to edit the boot.ini file (start>run, type "msconfig").
    Also by editing that file you should be able to specify how long you want it to wait before loading the default option.
  • Options
    okis, well it looks like a bios option, first time I ever did a duel os (bout a year ago) wanted to get rid but never got round to it,

so what do i edit in the boot.ini file?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It should have a couple of lines, each pointing to one OS. There should also be a line that sets the timeout (how many seconds before booting if you press nothing) and another that sets which the default OS is. I had a problem like this, and all I did was to make sure the default is the OS I want to use, then set the timeout to 0. This way you don't remove the other line but you don't have time to see the screen either.
    However, this was in 98 and I think XP won't let you edit boot.ini that easily. I can't check right now, but if you can't find what to do better wait for someone else to reply.
  • Options
    You can also edit it by right-click on my computer > advanced tab > startup and recovery settings > system startup > edit