Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Training the other half

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The thread on what your OH holds you back from doing got me thinking, so...

When you met your boyfriend/girlfriend, either current or last, did they meet/exceed/fail your expectations in terms of how they behaved towards you and the relationship? Did you smooth off a couple of rough edges, or did they have no experience at all?

I had to go right back to the beginning pretty much. Wouldn't walk me home, we spent valentines evening on the sofa in the same room as his friend, he would comment on other girls and so on. Basically not brilliant boyfriend material. I think we're almost there now though, some tears and a breakup later, he bought me flowers on tuesday for no reason. Makes it all worth it heartbeat.gif

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i would never try to "train" a boyfriend.

If he wasnt what i wanted out of a boyfriend in the first place then i wouldnt be with him.

And i wouldnt want to be trained by a boyfriend either, i want to be taken for who i am, not what i can be turned into.
    Blah wrote:

If he wasnt what i wanted out of a boyfriend in the first place then i wouldnt be with him.

And i wouldnt want to be trained by a boyfriend either, i want to be taken for who i am, not what i can be turned into.
    :yes:

men arent dogs.

I never understand why someone will get someone and then try and mould them into something else.
    Why not just get someone suitable in the first place?
    Blah wrote:

:thumb:
    what if a guy is a shit boyfriend and just doesn't realise how you want to be treated?
    Yikes!

I think it's very unfair to any person to try and mould them to what suits you. They're people, not naughty toddlers or dogs, and if I knew my partner was trying to make me 'better' in order to suit their vision of what constitutes a perfect girlfriend, I'd be gone in a shot because I'd feel inferior as the person I am.

I'm going to sound very harsh here, but I really think you need to start being more realistic about people, and enjoy them for them, rather than what you want them to be - would you like it if the tables were turned? For instance, when my partner and I were living in different houses, I didn't expect him to walk me home, we don't celebrate valentines day, a night on the sofa chatting with our flatmates can be enjoyable and if he eyes up other women, I'll only get annoyed with him if I think she's not that pleasing to the eye! Those are only little things, they shouldn't make or break a relationship, and going through obvious distressing things like crying over it and breaking up sounds awfully childish to be honest.
    Blah wrote:

too fucking right
    I agree, but not just that- I could so not be arsed with that.
    go_away wrote:
    I think it's very unfair to any person to try and mould them to what suits you. They're people, not naughty toddlers or dogs, and if I knew my partner was trying to make me 'better' in order to suit their vision of what constitutes a perfect girlfriend, I'd be gone in a shot because I'd feel inferior as the person I am.

That's exactly it, it would kill me to know someone thought they had to train me up, so to speak. Therefore I would never put someone else in that position.

To be honest I really appreciate the "rough edges" and the little idiosyncracies anyway, but I suppose if they had rough edges and a different outlook/values to me in a way I couldn't deal with... well then suffice to say I would probably be looking elsewhere for another half ;)
    To be honest, I reckon most girls know what they're gonna get with me.

If I like a girl then I like a girl, I never even get attracted to lassies who'd just sit there and look pretty. I need someone with something about them. If she wasn't like that I wouldn't even be arsed about her.

I reckon a lot of a relationship is sort of based on going out with each other and learning each others ways and stuff? Not just "Hmmm, he doesn't fit what I need, that boy betta change somethin' or he out that door!"

Maybe not, I dunno.
    So you consider telling your boyfriend that you want to be walked home at 11pm at night when you live 10minutes apart is harsh? Similarly, letting him know that you want him to talk to you rather than bottling everything up is also harsh and treating him like a dog?
    So you consider telling your boyfriend that you want to be walked home at 11pm at night when you live 10minutes apart is harsh? Similarly, letting him know that you want him to talk to you rather than bottling everything up is also harsh and treating him like a dog?
    naa, i understood what you was getting at. i think its because you phrased it as 'training' that people have a problem with it.
    Perhaps, just couldn't be arsed writing one word in 5, but will rephrase it. Had to do 2 general studies essays this morning and 6 hours of written exams on tuesday and my wrist is still sore. :rolleyes:

It wont edit the title. grumpy.gif

Re: the walking home thing, if it was late at night, I wouldn't have to ask. I wouldn't know about the latter because my partner and I talk openly, unlike most of my past relationships, I'm pretty lucky in that sense.
    lol i got the feeling the last girl i went out with was trying to "train" me, i think i make a great bf, i walk the girl home, open the doors, pay for the dinners, buy the roses etc, i'm just old fashioned like that.......but she thought my clothes were boring, she was always on at me to get a new pair of shoes (and there's not even any holes in them!), saying i should wear this smell and that smell, even trying to get me to wear pink.......i tried to explain im not one of these pretty city boys but she wouldn't give up, in the end i couldn't help feeling like i wasn't good enough somehow.......okay so maybe my wardrobe looks a bit nicer but suffice to say i'm seeing someone else now......
    lol i got the feeling the last girl i went out with was trying to "train" me, i think i make a great bf, i walk the girl home, open the doors, pay for the dinners, buy the roses etc, i'm just old fashioned like that.......but she thought my clothes were boring, she was always on at me to get a new pair of shoes (and there's not even any holes in them!), saying i should wear this smell and that smell, even trying to get me to wear pink.......i tried to explain im not one of these pretty city boys but she wouldn't give up, in the end i couldn't help feeling like i wasn't good enough somehow.......okay so maybe my wardrobe looks a bit nicer but suffice to say i'm seeing someone else now......

I wouldn't go that far, and I certainly don't expect him to pay for anything, although I do take him up on it when he offers. ;) But things like walking me home were, to me anyway, common sense.

I think that part of the problem was that my previous boyfriend was over protected, so when I got one that didn't text me first and didn't walk me home etc, it seemed like he didn't give a toss in comparison. We've found that happy medium though I think, I just need to stop him tickling my feet. :p
    I just need to stop him tickling my feet. :p

Ah, now that's a boy's perogative, I'm afraid.

Any girlfriend of mine is gonna get her feet tickled :yes:
    Bri-namite wrote:

yeh whats that all about? the guy im seeing now wont stop tickling me!
    Lads are evil, that is why they tickle. My boyf HURTS when he tickles though :( He digs his fingers in :(
    lipsy wrote:
    yeh whats that all about? the guy im seeing now wont stop tickling me!

Make a girl laugh and you're halfway there innit ;)
    I never understand why someone will get someone and then try and mould them into something else.
    Why not just get someone suitable in the first place?

The worst thing is when you're young you meet someone perfectly suited. Then they grow up and want a bit more excitement, but rather than breaking up with you, try to have the best of both worlds. Even though they obviously derive more excitment / fun from their new boyfriend than their old one.
    when i met my ex, i was 15 (only by two weeks) so i was only just 15, we were together four years. when we first got together we were well suited, but as we both grew up, we both changed, and he thought he could treat me how he used to when he was 16, but as i got older, i wanted something more, i.e. romantic meals, little treats here and there. i didnt expect him to spoil me, just show me that he cared. but he didnt, he used to talk to me like rubbish and treat me like shit.

i think it was mainly i'd grown up before he had.... plus the fact that he was a cheating lying scumbag, but we wont go into that ;)

im now with someone who i really love and they really love me. ive never met anyone like them in my life and he is everything ive always wanted.

so i get wat u mean shyboy, coz when i got with my ex, he was what i wanted, but as time went on, things changed
    so i get wat u mean shyboy, coz when i got with my ex, he was what i wanted, but as time went on, things changed

but they still want it to be the same with me, just want the extras of being able to flirt with whoever they like and have 'special' male friends who are almost boyfriends, except the sex.

blah. the hardest bit is cos you loved them so much when things were good, is trying to move on, cos you thought you'd be together forever!
    Bri-namite wrote:

Argh. that is the only thing I would have to train out.

I HATE having my feet tickled, to the point where if a guy kept doing it even when I told him not to (why do they think that's funny?) I'd consider breaking up with him.
    my bf tries to tickle my feet, but i always start kickin whenever they get tickled, i cant help it, so he doesnt do it so much now as it would probably result in him gettin an accidental boot in the face
    my bf tries to tickle my feet, but i always start kickin whenever they get tickled, i cant help it, so he doesnt do it so much now as it would probably result in him gettin an accidental boot in the face

Was about to say the same thing. I start kicking too, so I gotta watch out.

Feet are my most ticklish part.

He starts acting like a baby if I tickle him. Its cute, but major double standards! hehe
    I wouldn't want to change my boyf. I fell in love with him for who he is- not who I can mould him into. Over time though, we've started to become a lot more relaxed and open- I mean, during the 1st month we went out, he walked me home, he bought me suprises, he never farted in front of me etc. Now- I walk myself home- cos he's usually very tired after being awake since 4am working. It's not usually late thou. On the odd late occasion, he's offered to pay for a taxi- but I rang the parents instead. I buy him surprises, and get them back- is much more of a two way thing- whereas I never used to buy him any! And, he does fart infront of me, which frankly I couldn't give two wotsits bout. It's just amazing how things change over time.

*Finishes long essay* Sorry!
    I wouldn't call it "training" as such, but I think its natural in a healthy, open relationship to tell your partner if something he/she does upsets or annoys you, and if they love you, and it isn't something major, then they'll be fine with changing it.

Hope that made sense :nervous: :chin:
    I wouldn't want to be with anyone who I was able to train to be honest, i like people to have their own mind, if a man is so weak that he can be 'trained' then i dont want him.

Also if I felt like i wanted to train them they obviously arent right for me.
    I'm his first proper girlfriend and as a result he is really not confident with how he is sooo I'm tryna change that :D Ermm the downside is he is TOO nice and it's really difficult not to get frustrated but I am trying.
    Blah wrote:

whats the point of being with them in the first place if there not what you want from the start?