Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Au Natural vs Modern Medicine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This was (as close as I remember) one of the choices in todays glorious general studies exam;
Modern medicine changes the course of nature. We should abandon modern medicine in favour of being natural.

Not a very accurate recollection of the quote in question, but near enough. I want to know if you all agree with me, so discuss :p

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well what do YOU think? Plese do tell.

I say no. That's daft. Modern Medice all the way!:thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Modern Medice all the way!:thumb:
    not quite all the way.
    i need painkillers fairly regularly ...industrial pain killers have so many bad side effects like constipation sleeplesness or to much sleepiness. loss of appetite irritation low sex drive ...with my herbal remedy i get none of those things.
    I had a nice big rant about how if we are going to be all natural, that's bye to most of our clothes, all the cars, appliances etc. Also mentioned that we'd probably revert and end up akin to Africa, as STD treatment would be out of the window.

Finished off by saying that it would be illegal as everybody is entitled to a good quality of life, and I don't class hiding nekkid under a rock with no teeth as good quality.

I don't take general studies very seriously :p
    not quite all the way.
    i need painkillers fairly regularly ...industrial pain killers have so many bad side effects like constipation sleeplesness or to much sleepiness. loss of appetite irritation low sex drive ...with my herbal remedy i get none of those things.

See I'm not sure herbal remedies count as natural or not. I mean they've all been researched, but I suppose they aren't manmade at all. Personally I would struggle with what to class as natural medicine, and also what to class as modern medicine. When did medicine become modern etc?
    not quite all the way.

Hmm, so the herbal remedy still kills the pain... but no side effects? Whats it called? My mum is on strong pain killers that have some bad side effects... she might be interested to know.

This is interesting. Should make us look at Herbal remedies closer... and why if they are more effective they aren't used.
    i get the impression that most medications aren't realy needed anyway.
    in the sense that on the whole we are very healthy in the west ...apart from over indulgence and the likes.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    This is interesting. Should make us look at Herbal remedies closer... and why if they are more effective they aren't used.

Agreed. I've seen herbal remedies used more with animals. Perhaps its because a lot of the practitioners are into spiritual healing as well? And a lot of people, myself included, don't buy into that sort of thing.

I do swear by rescue remedy though :thumb:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Hmm, so the herbal remedy still kills the pain... but no side effects? Whats it called? My mum is on strong pain killers that have some bad side effects... she might be interested to know.

some people call it weed.
    It's often assumed that natural always = good. If it came down to my health or my life, and choosing between a proven treatment and an unproven one, I know which one I'd go for.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

and no your mum doesn't have to become a stoner.
    dosing is difficult to get right but ...very small ammounts ...just enough for your mind to feel it ...gives you pain relief ...lifts your spirits and makes you feel more positive ...and puts a smile on your face ...these side effects are far more positive and pleasant than what the industrial pain killers give you ...and the industrial stuff rarely gets rid of the pain antway.

but ...it aint a true painkiller.
    it makes you forget your in pain ...and then whren your about to do something you shouldn't like lifting something ...a little voice reminds you your in pain ...and you briefly feel the pain and then it's gone again.
    quite remarkable.
    It has been proven time and time again that many herbal remedies are not any more effective that placebo. If you think they work, they will work- if you are agnostic or disbelieve, they won't.

Many herbal extracts are actually more dangerous than the "industrial" equivalent, though. Take St John's Wort- for all the wanking on about seroxat, its been conveniently forgotten just how dangerous the wort really can be.

Natural = good...sometimes. But not always. I don't like the attitude that "industrial" = bad, because the "industrial" drugs are tried and tested, whereas many herbal remedies have never even come close to any scientific analysis. They certainly aren't vetted in any way.

You need to train for six years to be a pharmacist, but anyone can call themselves a "healer" and dish out drugs. That is dangerous and wrong.
    and no your mum doesn't have to become a stoner.
    dosing is difficult to get right but ...very small ammounts ...just enough for your mind to feel it ...gives you pain relief ...lifts your spirits and makes you feel more positive ...and puts a smile on your face ...these side effects are far more positive and pleasant than what the industrial pain killers give you ...and the industrial stuff rarely gets rid of the pain antway.

but ...it aint a true painkiller.
    it makes you forget your in pain ...and then whren your about to do something you shouldn't like lifting something ...a little voice reminds you your in pain ...and you briefly feel the pain and then it's gone again.
    quite remarkable.

I notice that when smoking some... my knee isn't sore anymore. It just becomes a dull ache if I put it in an uncofrtable position. I doubt my mum would want to smoke/take pot tbh... shame, it'd do her some good with the back pain.

If they legalised it though medically, she would actually be first on the list to be perscribed it with her back and knee troubles.
    Kermit wrote:

Natural = good...sometimes. But not always. I don't like the attitude that "industrial" = bad, because the "industrial" drugs are tried and tested, whereas many herbal remedies have never even come close to any scientific analysis. They certainly aren't vetted in any way.

i agree with you almost totaly ...but the tried and tested bit is a wee bit misleading.
    back to painkillers ...the tried and tested industrial ones ...don't work for ME.
    but they didn't test them on ME ...they marketed them in my direction only for me to find ...i get unpleasant side effects drom them all ...and none of them actualy rid me of the pain.

i
    we'd probably revert and end up akin to Africa, as STD treatment would be out of the window.
    :chin:

I wonder what you mean.
    You can mix the two. Medicinal maggots for example.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Just because something's natural doesn't mean it's better.

Some of the most toxic substances known to man are produced by animals and plants.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Just because something's natural doesn't mean it's better.

Some of the most toxic substances known to man are produced by animals and plants.
    for sure.
    back to my pain killers ...do you realise codeine is manufactured by the likes of ici?
    ...and you trust a guy who makes paint to also make your medication!