Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What Annoys You About The UK?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Erm yeh, people on the dole can afford widescreen T.Vs but people with jobs can't. :rolleyes:
    It's all just a sad stereotyping by the right wing tabloid press and those gullible enough to believe it (or want to believe it): people living on shit benefits and yet somehow managing the latest gadgets, premium satellite TV, plasma screens and flash motors.

It's all...

bollocks6fr.jpg
    Well, there is one major assumption here, that the people in question are living on benefits and absolutely nothing else...

I have a sneaky feeling this could be the explanation, but I know that some of the people on benefits have the kit, I've seen it.
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's all just a sad stereotyping by the right wing tabloid press and those gullible enough to believe it (or want to believe it): people living on shit benefits and yet somehow managing the latest gadgets, premium satellite TV, plasma screens and flash motors.
    Yeah, one of my hates has got to be the gutter press. It's quite depressing that tabloids outsell newspapers when you consider the difference in quality of the end product. "Benefit cheats" might exist, but blood sucking journalists are a more appropriate target of our wrath imho.
    My bus fare. And the fact that it's gone up 60p in the last 2 years to get a return from Braintree to Colchester, but they still can't manage to send us two double deckers in the morning like they're meant to.

The fact that they feel the need to build housing estates on every single green bit of Braintree they can get their sodding hands on.

The fact that I'm now paying at least £5.06 for 20 B&H gold, when my mum used to be able to get a 20 pack of cigarettes for the equivalent of 12p, and you can get them in Kenya for about £1, maybe less.

The massive emphasis on getting good grades, and the fact that my school were only interested in the students getting 5 A*-C's at GCSE.

The fact that to understand anything about politics, I have to teach it to myself, because in school I was only told what communism, capitalism, democracy etc were in the simplest terms possible.

The whole celebrity obsession. I don't CARE if Britney Spears has cellulite, it makes her human, get over it.

And added to that - the obsession with perfection. Like if you aren't size 10 with perfect skin you aren't normal.

The country's obsession with football. And the fact that people go so crazy over it. I can understand if you enjoy watching it, but when people get absolutely devastated because their team got knocked out of the premiership or whatever, it's bollocks. It's a GAME which doesn't affect your life in ANY WAY. It's not like your team losing a match is going to kill you, so why the hell get so emotional?

The fact that we aren't even that good at half the sports we invented anymore.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Franki really doesn't like this country. :lol:

Girl, buy your B&H Gold at Tesco, its cheaper than £5 there. And :mad: at you for smoking again. Bad!
    Oh come on, the dole pays fuck all. Sure it pays a bit more if you've got kids, but kids cost more.

How much is unemployment benefit for one person? 40 quid a week?
    It's not going to buy much.

But don't they get other benifits as well?
    What pisses me off about the UK?

People who just cannot appreciate what they have. Happiness doesn't come from having what you want, but from wanting what you have.
    Sofie wrote:
    But don't they get other benifits as well?

I would expect so.
    I don't think it'd be possible to eat and pay rent on whatever the basic dole amount is.

People who just cannot appreciate what they have. Happiness doesn't come from having what you want, but from wanting what you have.

Amen to that.

Drizzle pisses me off. I'm pretty sure it's a phenomenum exclusive to the U.K. Either rain or don't; I either need an umbrella or i don't.
    I would expect so.
    I don't think it'd be possible to eat and pay rent on whatever the basic dole amount is.

You have your rent paid for you when you're on the dole, or so i believe.

I kind of agree, but then there's no way that's exclusive to the UK.

Even if we are far and away the best at complaining and being unappreciative. What an achievement! :yippe:
    You have your rent paid for you when you're on the dole, or so i believe.

Something towards it, I think.
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/housing_benefit.asp
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Franki really doesn't like this country. :lol:

Girl, buy your B&H Gold at Tesco, its cheaper than £5 there. And :mad: at you for smoking again. Bad!
    I do. But it said the things that annoy me :p.

20 B&H Gold at Tesco in town is £5.06. Trust me, that's where I usually get them from. And I've already had the smoking discussion with both my mother and the boy, and both of them are resigned to the fact that it will be better when I give up by myself rather than being forced to. Tbh.
    Franki wrote:
    I do. But it said the things that annoy me :p.

20 B&H Gold at Tesco in town is £5.06. Trust me, that's where I usually get them from. And I've already had the smoking discussion with both my mother and the boy, and both of them are resigned to the fact that it will be better when I give up by myself rather than being forced to. Tbh.

Fair enough. I swear the one in town was £4.96... it was last time I got a pack!

Tossers. If it is £5.06 now, I am going to buy Luckies from sainsbury's... £5.01, and a far nicer cig.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    ... and a far nicer cig.

:eek2:

There's a lovely little shop in Sunderland that sells B&H and Marlboro for £2.70. All above board, of course :chin:
    briggi wrote:

There's a lovely little shop in Sunderland that sells B&H and Marlboro for £2.70. All above board, of course :chin:

Well good.

And how can you not like Lucky Strike? They are SUPREME. Smoke of Gods.
    briggi wrote:

I'm in complete agreement with Gerbil. Even if I have given up again!

I wasn't aware that above board stuff happened in Sunderland ;)
    I'm in complete agreement with Gerbil. Even if I have given up again!

You would be! But since when were you the arbiter of taste :p

This shop has been doing dodgy dealings since I was at school, always loved the way they set up right inbetween the two catholic schools. Too easy!
    briggi wrote:

Omgosh send me some :(
    If they sell Luckies, send me some too please. If they don't, they lose 10 points.
    cigs = :yuck:
    if you hate the prices so much then try quitting? :p
    Ballerina wrote:

Agreed. However, it's not that simple to quit. (I've never smoked; but my dad is an ex-smoker)
    Ballerina wrote:
    Because they aren't so extortionate that I can't afford it, but it would be nice if they were a bit less unnecessarily expensive.
    Ballerina wrote:

Because I enjoy it. I don't WANT to quit just now. Plus I prefer rolling joints with Cig baccy as opposed to rolling baccy myself.
    I quite like the UK. No major weather disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes etc. It's quite fertile land and it's not a desert or a swamp. Not many poisonous creatures or lions that might eat me.

Only thing that really annoys me is the cost of university, but I guess if you want to go there you have to pay for it.

Celebrity obsession happens in a lot of countries, not just the UK. It's rubbish, but I can live with it.

I'm quite happy living in the UK, I don't really want to live anywhere else. :)
    Ballerina wrote:

Might be a joke but the nature of addiction goes beyond the old saying "just quit" I've already said in this thread that I'm very grateful of what I've got, I don't give a fuck what people think about football, cigarettes or high taxes, just be fucking lucky you've got what you have cos I tell ya what, there's millions of people out there that would give their right arm to be in our situation! So basically without being too cliched, love life and be grateful of what you have, you're never gonna have this oppotunity again! :)
    briggi wrote:
    I kind of agree, but then there's no way that's exclusive to the UK.

I know, but the Aussies don't call us "whinging poms" for nothing.

Look at this thread, how many of those things are "real" problems? How many people posting have had to scavenge on refuse sites, just to find enough junk to sell for food, how many have been to school, how many have access to decent health care? How many live in a war zone and face death everyday?

Seriously, I get pissed off at the complacency, we are soooo fortunate.
    Seriously, I get pissed off at the complacency, we are soooo fortunate.
    Oh stop whinging.
    Oh stop whinging.
    :lol:
This discussion has been closed.