Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Guantanamo Closing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5102528.stm
Looks like it from this. Or is it all just empty words?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    must be true if bbc says it is...hehe

Another tourist attraction....?
    http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/C38A51EA-2E30-4153-B087-D1C8140596A4.htm
    Here you go then you fussy bastard.:p

I saw a cool t-shirt a while back saying "Visit Guantanamo Bay" in the style of those holiday shirts. Wish I'd bought it. It could be the new Alcatraz.
    that would be nice wouldn't it? At least one of our governments flaming embarrassments would be taken care of.

Hollow words to be sure though. Even if they did close it down, the prisoners would just be moved to some other, more secret, more illegal prison.
    But he added that there were some detainees "who need to be tried in US courts".

Wow.. Are they actually admitting that some people in Guantanamo are innocent?
    "They will murder somebody if they are let out on the street."
    But they are being sent back to their home countries, surely America aren't policing Saudi and Yemen now?

And besides, whatever happened to innocent before proven guilty?
    Treat them as PoWs. if nothing else it would amuse me that the Taliban would have to salute US officers or be in breach of the Geneva Convention
    Prisoners of war, with the exception of officers, must salute and show to all officers of the Detaining Power the external marks of respect provided for by the regulations applying in their own forces.

Officer prisoners of war are bound to salute only officers of a higher rank of the Detaining Power; they must, however, salute the camp commander regardless of his rank.
    I saw a cool t-shirt a while back saying "Visit Guantanamo Bay" in the style of those holiday shirts. Wish I'd bought it. It could be the new Alcatraz.
    Was it this design?

guantanamo.gif

They sell them in the excellent White House website
    As for the closing of the concentration camp itself, I fear it is just more empty words from the world's most prolific jailer and torturer.

Eventually they will close it. However this will be a convenient diversion, for there will be many, many more concentration camps spread across the world of which we know nothing about, and in which the US government can continue to detain and torture illegally kidnapped men and boys in the best tradition of fascists, tyrants and dictators through modern history.
    under the tee it says
    Show your unflappable belief in America's wonderful treatment of maybe-terrorist scum
    enjoying luxurious tropical vacations at Camp Delta in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba!
    :lol:
    as for the closing of Guantanamo five years too late but better than never but i do that the red cross is allowed to monitor the jailed in their home country too and that the trials are not held in secret, but i live in an imaginery world anyway
    The sympathy for Guantanamo inmates is very touching. It's only unfortunate that the same level of compassion is not shown to other prisoners around the world without terrorist links; political prisoners in China, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela come to mind. It's about time one thing is made clear, the inmates at Guantanamo weren't on some kind of holiday - they were fighting us. Even released Guantanamo prisoners have shown themselves to be dangerous. The US isn't locking these people up for the hell of it, they're dangerous. As President Bush has rightly explained these people will murder if they're just let out on the streets. That said it makes sense to return people to their home countries and when the Supreme Court rules on what setting these people can be tried in things can move forward. Chiefly though from a PR and political perspective it makes sense to try and resolve Guantanamo. It'll be one less tool for the European left to use to criticise President Bush and undermine the War on Terror.

Going back to Aladdin's offensive concentration camp jibe, do you know if the Red Cross were invited to visit detainees in Soviet concentration camps? Nazi concentration camps?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    About fucking time.

To little to late I reackon though - finally the international pressure has got the US bang to rights.
    And besides, whatever happened to innocent before proven guilty?
    That was so last century.
    Bricks and mortar.

What will happen to the inmates?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Bricks and mortar.

What will happen to the inmates?

They'll likley "disapeer" to Eastern Europe.
    The sympathy for Guantanamo inmates is very touching. It's only unfortunate that the same level of compassion is not shown to other prisoners around the world without terrorist links; political prisoners in China, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela come to mind. It's about time one thing is made clear, the inmates at Guantanamo weren't on some kind of holiday - they were fighting us.
    Oh yeah? Tell that to every last one of the Britons who were released- none of which were terrorists or even 'fighters' of any kind.

Tell that to the dozens of other released without charge ex-inmates from other nations who were teachers, humanitarian workers or even on holiday, and who were wrongfully banged up by the US.

Please stop believing the lies and the bullshit the US government spouts so willfully. For every 'dangerous' terrorist in Guantanamo 10 more inmates are nothing of the sort. If anyone is really a dangerous terrorist, then charge them. But don't keep them locked up illegally without any human rights or even access to a lawyer like fascists, dictators and nazis did.
    The sympathy for Guantanamo inmates is very touching. It's only unfortunate that the same level of compassion is not shown to other prisoners around the world without terrorist links; political prisoners in China, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela come to mind. It's about time one thing is made clear, the inmates at Guantanamo weren't on some kind of holiday - they were fighting us. Even released Guantanamo prisoners have shown themselves to be dangerous. The US isn't locking these people up for the hell of it, they're dangerous. As President Bush has rightly explained these people will murder if they're just let out on the streets. That said it makes sense to return people to their home countries and when the Supreme Court rules on what setting these people can be tried in things can move forward. Chiefly though from a PR and political perspective it makes sense to try and resolve Guantanamo. It'll be one less tool for the European left to use to criticise President Bush and undermine the War on Terror.

Going back to Aladdin's offensive concentration camp jibe, do you know if the Red Cross were invited to visit detainees in Soviet concentration camps? Nazi concentration camps?
    what about the farmers and village idiots ...the young men etc ...who had little choice but to fight for ...their side?
    that doesn't in any way make them dangerous or terrorists.
    your showing a complete lack of knowledge or even basic understanding of the facts.
    Nice to see the moral standard to which Dis descends to justify "concentration" camps by a corrupt band of war criminals.

Showing his utter lack of consistency of principle once again whilst waving the flag of a country not even his own. The intellectually dishonest can always be counted on to miss the picture entirely. :thumb:

(That said, at least he does make the appropriate historic comparisons, even if he lacks the rationality to follow the train of thought to its legitimate conclusion).
    waving the flag of a country not even his own.

The Republican elephant isn't really a flag of a country Clan...I know you hate your country but I'd have thought being American you'd know your own flag. For your benefit though:
    usa_gulf.jpg from the BBC :p

Anyway I'm unashamedly 'americophile' in my beliefs, I have family and such in America and I plan to study, work and live in the States. I support America because it's the right thing to do Clan, I'm not American - hence I don't support America out of any patriotic feeling. Same goes for Israel. And you uh hate your country because of erm bizarre conspiracy theories...I wonder if your extreme views go down well back home.
    Aladdin wrote:
    As for the closing of the concentration camp itself, I fear it is just more empty words from the world's most prolific jailer and torturer.
    What has China got to do with anything? :p
    Nice to see the moral standard to which Dis descends to justify "concentration" camps by a corrupt band of war criminals.

Showing his utter lack of consistency of principle once again whilst waving the flag of a country not even his own. The intellectually dishonest can always be counted on to miss the picture entirely. :thumb:

(That said, at least he does make the appropriate historic comparisons, even if he lacks the rationality to follow the train of thought to its legitimate conclusion).
    being an old git ...i am alarmed that some of todays young people can avidly support concentration camps!
    it is truly fucking scary.
    One has to simply laugh at the cognitive disconnect of our young rabid ideologue, MR. He not only displays his lack of understanding of figurative language, but also of the political ethos, agenda and supporting propaganda which are the focus of rightful condemnation toward Washington.

Like every other tv-indoctrinated, soundbite regurgitating know-nothing, Dis chants the mantras of "you hate your country" and "conspiracy theories" like a well programmed drone. His characteristic avoidance of the realisation that he is chanting for the very crimes against humanity and anti-democratic intent he claims to oppose is quite a pathetic site to behold, truly!

He'll fit in quite nicely with the self-absorbed, mentally and morally corrupt legions of ambient dead populating the US capitol, without doubt. Just another sucker for the brand America myth who will come to learn too late how hollow that myth is under the layers of glossy PR.
    Too much Irnbru perhaps? ;)
    The sympathy for Guantanamo inmates is very touching. It's only unfortunate that the same level of compassion is not shown to other prisoners around the world without terrorist links; political prisoners in China, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela come to mind. It's about time one thing is made clear, the inmates at Guantanamo weren't on some kind of holiday - they were fighting us.
    <rest of nutty extremist rant snipped>

I love the way dis seems to be privy to information that no one else in the world is. :D
    The Republican elephant isn't really a flag of a country Clan...I know you hate your country but I'd have thought being American you'd know your own flag. For your benefit though:
    usa_gulf.jpg from the BBC :p

Anyway I'm unashamedly 'americophile' in my beliefs, I have family and such in America and I plan to study, work and live in the States. I support America because it's the right thing to do Clan, I'm not American - hence I don't support America out of any patriotic feeling. Same goes for Israel. And you uh hate your country because of erm bizarre conspiracy theories...I wonder if your extreme views go down well back home.

2009monkeys.jpg
    Clandestine....

Why do you always state people 'dispaly a lack of understanding' when ever they don't agree with you.... it's time to change the record.
    People display understanding or a lack thereof by what they post and the positions they adopt, each according to their own merit or demerit. It has nothing to do with "agreeing with Clan" but rather seeing through the sanitised PR that parades as "official" explanations of events (always heavily laden with stock in trade political doublespeak).

I call out those, like Dis, who simply regurgitate these same "official" PR soundbites as if they have any grasp on the realities of the issues. Always have done so and always will until those in question start to exercise a bit more discernment and investigative interest to look beyond official proclamations.

Given your record on such things Lukesh, you'd do well to do considerably more research and considerably less moaning.