Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Whaling

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Geological events and cataclisms have caused mass extinctions of course. Also natural selection.

However man is the only species have have caused the extinction of other species through negiglence, destruction of habitats, pollution or general fuckwittery.
    Well yes because we are the only species capable of doing that.

Frankly most people don't care if some butterfly in Brazil with slightly different patterns to some other butterfly goes extinct, why should they?
    I beg to differ. Most people would care about subspecies going extinct. Of course, differences usuall run a lot deeper than just a different colour pattern.

I suspect most of those who don't care about some species going extinct are the kind of people who believe man owns the earth and has the right to destroy as many ecosystems as he pleases if it means he can benefit financially from it.
    First of all the person the who said they need to be "balanced" needs to learn a little bit of biology. Nature balances itself, if there are to many fish, then the whales pop increases and then the fish pop decreases and then the whale pop decreses etc. etc. Its humans that imblance it.
    I hate it how people judge a species on how many they are, like they're some sort of stock, leave the whales alone, why do we need to whipe out a species just so we can have a better selection on our menu's!
    Aladdin wrote:
    I beg to differ. Most people would care about subspecies going extinct. Of course, differences usuall run a lot deeper than just a different colour pattern.

I suspect most of those who don't care about some species going extinct are the kind of people who believe man owns the earth and has the right to destroy as many ecosystems as he pleases if it means he can benefit financially from it.

:yes:

Or of course if it tastes nice.

Any attitude other than placing great value on the preservation of every species on the earth is pretty incomprehensible to me. Live and let live.
    But why do you really care that much?

Don't pretend that people don't place more value on certain animals because they 'like' them in some way.

There is no logical reason for valuing whales over cockroaches for example but people do.

If some rare species of cockroach is on the brink of extinction would you really be that bothered? Would you try and do something about it?
    I agree that that some species get a lot more attention and care than others depending solely on their cutness value. But all species are important, even if we sometimes don't fully understand or appreciate how. Even wasps serve a purpose.

If a rare roach or beatle is endangered then I'm all for ensuring it doesn't go extinct.
    \
    Toadborg wrote:
    But why do you really care that much?

Don't pretend that people don't place more value on certain animals because they 'like' them in some way.

There is no logical reason for valuing whales over cockroaches for example but people do.

If some rare species of cockroach is on the brink of extinction would you really be that bothered? Would you try and do something about it?

Right, so do you think cockroach's are worth more than humans? your "logic" makes no sense. The reason people value them more is because they are highly intelligent mammals, who can feel pain just as much as we can and have similar emotions to us, which is also why we value human life. So butchering them, causing them pain and de-stress and wipeing out their existence is wrong, as it is to any living thing. Your ignorance is shocking.
    It is nothing to do with ignorance, it is just opinions.

You value all 'living things' equally?

How do you live?
    Toadborg wrote:
    It is nothing to do with ignorance, it is just opinions.

Thats what hitler said.
    You value all 'living things' equally?

All living things deserve respect. Simple as that really.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Thats what hitler said.

Hitler also said alot of things that were true besdies spouting bullshit quite often.

Don't dismis all he said just because he was a loon.
    sophia wrote:
    They are endangered, there's only two left.

:lol:

I value all living things, and yes I - for one - do care that much. That may well make me and my opinions and values as bizarre in your eyes, but so be it.

You're right in that most people wouldn't care if a butterly/cockroach/earthworm was endangered, but you're coming across as if you think that's a great thing and the right and true attitude to have. As if the egocentric way humans are currently existing is the only way to be, correct me if I've interpreted your stance on this wrongly.

Generally speaking, a little more humility from all of us would not go amiss.
    There are many species already extinct and and will only be possible to bring back due to old DNA samples and advancements in cloning technology. We need to seriously try to save the animals and the jungles and all that jazz. I dont give a fuck what happens to the people of other countries by the way in terms of saving the animals, so long as i dont die. im selfish that way.
    Briggi, you've got the right attitide, I salute you. I go about my life with respect to nature, I dont kill any animals, I'm the kind of person who feels guilty when I step on a snale. When I see people who say things like;

"Humans aren't anaimals"
    "Whales are fish"
    "Humans need to keep animals in balance"

etc. etc. I actually feel sorry for them. I cant imagine being that ignorrant to the world around me.