Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Primark

Oh my fuckin gawd.

Is it always so fucking busy?!

We've just had one open in Preston today and I must have spent about 45 minutes at least in the queues for the tills and the changing rooms.

It was complete and utter madness. The whole of Preston must have been in that bloody shop.

Still, I got quite alot for £31 :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hate busy stores, probably because I hate people so much, getting too close, popping my personal bubble. If there is something I really want at a certian store but I know it will be busy, I won't hesitate to drive an hour to a different store in a smaller town that I know will be less busy.
    :mad: at crowded places. Gross.

Yay and :yippe: on your good shopping!
    The Primark in Birmingam city centre is ridiculously busy. Just hundreds of women all scurrying around spending pennies on the same cheap fabric items ultimately known as 'clothing' :yuck:
    Oh yeah I forgot, nothing with a cheaper price label is good enough for you is it! :rolleyes:

Hmmm, if you must know, I only went in there for some work clothes.
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Oh yeah I forgot, nothing with a cheaper price label is good enough for you is it! :rolleyes:

Hmmm, if you must know, I only went in there for some work clothes.

No need to defend yourself Stacey, fuck the snobs!! :D
    Haha, I don't need to defend myself. I don't care if I've gone to Primark!

I needed some white shirts and black pants for work and to be honest, they are exactly the same as the ones on the highstreet but cheaper.

I also bought a few things for myself though :D
    They're not the same quality as the highstreet, which is WHY they're dirt cheap. The quality of the fabric is laughable and the workmanship is awful. :eek2:
    Only some of the stuff. Some of their stuff is shit I agree but the stuff I've bought today is the same quality as high street clothes.

I've just compared my new work pants to the ones I've currently got (which are from Warehouse) and they are of the same quality.
    God I hate Primark, though I can see why people swear by it like they do.

I went in with a "friend" (though I think she must secretly hate me, what other reason could there be?) a few weekends ago on the promise that "I'll just be a minute and then we'll get to the pub" and after weighing me down with five million t-shirts and hideous pairs of shorts that all looked the same we had to wait 45 minutes for her to try them all on and she then decided that she only liked the one. We then had to queue for another half an hour to pay for it... by that point I was becoming seriously tempted to advocate a spot of shoplifting.

I had a few bits and bobs from there a while back that didn't last the distance, and that's not to mention the serious ethical reservations I have about the production of such cheap clothing -- and the way people just bin it after a week and go to buy another one. I also have to laugh because a couple of years ago a lot of my friends would've turned their noses up at "cheapy shops" and now they're scrabbling in Primark every chance they get.

So basically, each to their own and all that, but I'll stick to charity shopping for my bargain wares :thumb:
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Hear hear Briggi!
    I am a fan of Primark bags and baubles and shoes.

Some of their tops are lovely, but a lot of it is tat. I've gotten lots of jeans from there though and slashed them up to make sexual cut off jeans for summer. :D
    I love Primark stuff but I do agree it's way too busy most of the time, the queues are always massive and it can get very hot too which makes it worse.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My sis works in the one in Leeds and says its mad all the time
    A guy friend of mine works in his local primark and suffice to say, he's not staying there for long :thumb:
    Lol. I heard alot of the staff complaining today.

I think they were all shocked at how busy it was. The managers were going "it will die down after a few days honestly"
    I love a bit of Primark, but I agree quite a bit of it is tat. I mainly buy accessories from there these days. Oh and tights - I go through tights like there's no tomorrow so paying £1.50 for two pairs isn't too bad!

I'm a bit addicted to all the second hand vintage shops and Oxfam Originals in Manchester at the moment... and the new Topshop. Ahhh AMAZING.
    briggi wrote:
    G not to mention the serious ethical reservations I have about the production of such cheap clothing -- and the way people just bin it after a week and go to buy another one.
    tru-dat!

I dont mind it. The quality actually ISNT much worse than a lot of other highstreet places, although some of it is shit, but you can which is ok quality and which isnt, before you buy it. Ive bought basic stuff like jeans, tshirts, underwear and pyjamas from there that have lasted years, and ive even had jeans that i had for ages and then passed to a friend when i lost weight. The jeans I got from Gap for five times the price didnt last nearly that long.

I hate the queues and the fact its like shopping in a jumble sale, but apart from that, I usually spend a bit in the sauchiehall st one once a year when i visit my dad. Its also really good for childrens clothes, because they grow out of them so quickly anyway.

Another good thing is that we dont have a big primark round here, so when i do buy stuff from there, i dont see every other person wearing it, whereas when i was in glasgow, I did notice about 3 people on the tube home wearing stuff Id just seen in there, and for some reason that puts me off. Maybe im more snobby than I like to think
    The Primark in Birmingam city centre is ridiculously busy. Just hundreds of women all scurrying around spending pennies on the same cheap fabric items ultimately known as 'clothing' :yuck:

Actually a lot of stuff in Primark is of excellent quality ...

I got a very good winter jacket there for £11 and the frabric and stitching and attention to detail was immense
    the thing i dont get is, why is there ALWAYS stuff chucked on the floor and everywhere? it doesnt seem to happen in other shops so why there?! why cant people just put things back properly, or at least not just dump them?! as for the shop itself, i love it for accessories and for plain work tops, but other than that i really dont have the patience!
    Kat_B wrote:
    the thing i dont get is, why is there ALWAYS stuff chucked on the floor and everywhere? it doesnt seem to happen in other shops so why there?! why cant people just put things back properly, or at least not just dump them?! as for the shop itself, i love it for accessories and for plain work tops, but other than that i really dont have the patience!
    I agree and because of that it can take ages to find what you're after which can get very frustrating and that with the heat can make me want to run for the doors and get out into the fresh air.
    I agree about the mess and the queues (if it is too long, i just walk out and dont bother), but i love primark :) some of the clothes are fine quality, some are not but mostly i love it for socks and underwear!
    I really love buying underwear and find their bras and knickers last just as long as any other shops at a fraction of the price :)
    I went there yesterday and spent £41 but i got 2 tops, 1 pair trousers, 2 bras, 3 pairs knickers, 1 set pyjamas, and some sunglasses :p
    You have to look quite hard to find stuff in primark, but I have brought some really nice stuff in there. The brighton one is always heaving with people unless you go at about 9am in the morning.
    The quality actually ISNT much worse than a lot of other highstreet places, although some of it is shit, but you can which is ok quality and which isnt, before you buy it.

So true. The only things I notice about Primada and quality is that sometimes the fit is a bit squiffy, the sizing is random as all hell (but no more so than most high street shops at the mo) and they quite often don't sew their buttons on very well.

Having said that, I'm currently wearing a pair of Topshop jeans (ebayed, of course - having a laugh if you think I'm paying £40 for them) that I've worn less than 10 times and I've already had to fix the stitching in 2 places.

There are some things in there, the plain tees with lycra in particular, that I would say are actually much better quality than a lot of high street shops.
    JsT wrote:
    My sis works in the one in Leeds and says its mad all the time

She is not wrong. Those crazy bastards QUEUE up to get in on a morning. You need nerves of steel to run the big P gauntlet on a Saturday.

Thankfully I take a certain curious pride in an item of clothing I've had to have a proper scrap for.
    They're not the same quality as the highstreet, which is WHY they're dirt cheap. The quality of the fabric is laughable and the workmanship is awful. :eek2:

You know... I could show you two tops from my wardrobe, and I bet you wouldn't know which was £8 from New Look and which was £2.50 from Primark....

And my 'highstreet' (I say that, as all the Primarks I know are highstreet shops...) clothes fade alot quicker than Primark ones! :)
    My friend laughs at me for getting £3 jeans from Asda. He spent £60 on his jeans - I'd rather spend that kind of cash on a trip up to Edinburgh for a day or two.

Two cars on the drive and F all in the fridge ;).
    kaffrin wrote:
    Thankfully I take a certain curious pride in an item of clothing I've had to have a proper scrap for.

oyer :heart:

i like primark but only come out with like 2 things i like, the majority of it i would just not buy. i like a lot of the little tops etc and pyjamas (:heart:).

Good value for money, but with my branch being birmingham i often just can't be arsed to wait in a mile long queue for 1 thing.
    Some stuff doesn't last long, but it tends to be the same things that don't last long from other shops too.

Primark is cheap because they use basically slave labour to make the stuff, and don't have pretty shops or big warehouses. What they have is what's on the shelves.

I get primark tees and some jumpers, but it depends what I'm after. I don't like things with writing on- it looks crap- and sadly Primark's stuff always seems to have stuff like SPORT 69 OYER written all over what would otherwise be a nice hoody.
    kaffrin wrote:
    I'm currently wearing a pair of Topshop jeans (ebayed, of course - having a laugh if you think I'm paying £40 for them).

On a side note - I managed to get a pair of brand new dark blue Mooch jeans from Topshop for £13.60 :cool: - just because the button was missing. AND because you are Miss Sewtastic 2006 I wondered if you know what the best thing to replace it with! I thought about taking another button off an old pair of jeans and just using that... any ideas?!

And also, just to add to the thread - I think I'm in love with Primark. I went there for tops for work and came out with about 12 long-length tops in every colour under the sun for £2.50 each. Bargainous. :D
    I love Topshop. Primark is alreet for the essentials..oh and the pants are a quid. BARGAIN BABY.
    On a side note - I managed to get a pair of brand new dark blue Mooch jeans from Topshop for £13.60 :cool: - just because the button was missing. AND because you are Miss Sewtastic 2006 I wondered if you know what the best thing to replace it with! I thought about taking another button off an old pair of jeans and just using that... any ideas?!

You won't be able to use an old jeans button cause they're not sewn in - they have a back pin with a kind of ratchet fastening (like security tags) so they can't be re-used.

You can buy jeans buttons though. See this thread!. Or you could just put any normal sew-on button that fit on for a more homely look :)

Props on the bargain too! Mine are the same - dark mooches. They were dirt cheap on Ebizzle cause they were advertised as seconds, but I've checked them over, and the only thing I can find that's wrong is that the button is slightly dented. :thumb: