Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Four Eyes!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It seems strange that a lot of people won't go to the opticians, like they're scared or something?
    I've been optician-friendly since I was a young child, so it only seems natural to have my eyes tested anually (it was 6 monthly until recently).

I have a total of -10 prescription (myopic - short sighted) and my astigmatism is -6, which is verging on moderate to severe myopia. I get a £73 NHS voucher towards the cost of my glasses, and I have to wear them from the minute I wake, to the minute before my head hits the pillow at night.

I've just had a consultation for laser vision correction, and so will hopefully be going ahead with it in the next 12 months or so.

I've just spent £400 on my first ever pair of prescription designer sunglasses, and they should be ready next week (four weeks after ordering them).
    My current glasses cost £450, to have the thinnest lenses I could afford.

You people with 20/20 vision don't know how lucky you are, I tell ya :yes:
    Although not being able to afford glasses shouldn't be a problem as you can get help off the NHS and you can get some really nice one's that don't cost much more.
    i'm short sighted so i wear glasses now
    bf is also short sighted and wears contacts
    Although not being able to afford glasses shouldn't be a problem as you can get help off the NHS and you can get some really nice one's that don't cost much more.
    The NHS voucher could partly cover the cost of the frames, but with my prescription you're still looking at a min of £200 for thinner lenses, so in theory, the NHS voucher does Jack shit really :yes:
    When your eyes start going bad is it obvious? Or could it be somethign you don't even notice. Half my family is dead blind and the other half has perfect vision... I could easily fall into the blind half. Oh no. I have a fat head, I wouldn't look good in glasses :p I've never even found sunglasses to look not scary.
    A lot people don't actually realised they're myopic or hyperopic until they actually have an eyetest and can read the letters on the wall without squinting.
    My sister is 24 and only just had an eyetest and is now wearing glasses, because she thought what she could see (or couldn't!!) was 'normal'...
    Ah I can always read the eye test thing easily near the pharmacy when I'm waiting to pick things up, I'll just take that as an I'm good ;)
    The NHS voucher could partly cover the cost of the frames, but with my prescription you're still looking at a min of £200 for thinner lenses, so in theory, the NHS voucher does Jack shit really :yes:

Have things changed that much in about 4 years have they? Mine are thin lenses and cost about £80.
    I wear contact lenses cos I don't like how I look in glasses... and everyone seems to think you're really intelligent if you wear glasses and ask complicated questions... :eek2: Why???

I wore glasses when I was little cos I was short-sighted and had a divergent squint... and then I was told I didn't need them anymore.

I didn't realise I was short sighted again until I tried on my sisters glasses and I was like 'whoa!!! The world is so clear!!!!!!!!!' :rolleyes:

I still live in hope that my eyesight will miraculously get better again. :blush:
    I'm short sighted and have an astigmatism in (I think) my right eye. I always thought I was pretty bad sighted, but looking at this I guess not? I'm -3 and -2.25.

I started wearing glasses when I was ten but because I wore them more than I needed to, so now I have to wear them alllllll the time. I got daily disposable lenses a few months ago and now I usually wear them instead, I wear my glasses when I'm at home and when I'm at work, that's it.

I'm not sure if I look better with or without specs, opinion is divided, but lenses are just so much more convenient. I'm forever having to clean my glasses, and the novelty still hasn't worn off of a) walking in the rain and being able to see in front of me, and b) trying on sunglasses in a shop.
    Lil Laura wrote:
    I'm short sighted and have an astigmatism in (I think) my right eye. I always thought I was pretty bad sighted, but looking at this I guess not? I'm -3 and -2.25.
    I'm not sure if I look better with or without specs, opinion is divided, but lenses are just so much more convenient. I'm forever having to clean my glasses, and the novelty still hasn't worn off of a) walking in the rain and being able to see in front of me, and b) trying on sunglasses in a shop.
    -3 is pretty mild, in comparison to mine which is -7 in one eye and -6 in the other.

Oh the simplicity of walking into a shop and trying on and buying a pair of sunglasses!! I wish!

All my friends have expressed their mourning about saying goodbye to my glasses... they love me wearing glasses, for some reason and say that I suit them too much!
    i'll have to ask what my eyesight is....i think its similar to my mums but a bit better
    i was told the other month that my eyes work well together i'm just short sighted :(
    Im short sighted but also wear contacts

Have some shitty glasses that I dont like for when I take my contacts out
    I wear glasses. I am short sighted. Have worn glasses since I was about 7.

Same here. But I have contacts too, but I tend to only wear them on nights out. My glasses make me look intelligent. :D

I'm -5 in one eye and -4.5 in the other. I think. I've got a lazy eye too which appears when I'm shitfaced or just tired...
    Paying 400 quid for sunglasses suggests more money than sense to me. It's not like you have to have carl zeiss ultra thin glass lenses in a pair of sunglasses you'll be lucky to wear for more than two weeks a year in this country, and most opticians would probably throw a decent frame in for free with a set of specs.

Yeash.
    If you have a strong prescription and want decent protection for your eyes then you will want really thin lenses in your sunglasses too. If it means you can see when the sun shines and drive safely then I wouldn't have thought it was unreasonable, especially if you have a stable prescription so they'll last a long time.

Compare it to what someone who smokes would spend?!
    If you have a strong prescription and want decent protection for your eyes then you will want really thin lenses in your sunglasses too. If it means you can see when the sun shines and drive safely then I wouldn't have thought it was unreasonable, especially if you have a stable prescription so they'll last a long time.

Compare it to what someone who smokes would spend?!

I don't really see what smoking has to do with the price of fish.

I also don't see why having thin glass would be more protection for the eyes than cheaper lenses that were not ultra-thin.

But hey, as long as she's happy spending everyone else's cash buying the things, why should we mind?
    -4 in one eye, -3 in the other. I blame it partly on the studying I do, I used to be -1 and -2.

I wear my glasses most of the time at the moment. I wear contacts too, but normally in the better weather so I can wear my sunglasses, or if I'm going out.
    Mist wrote:
    Paying 400 quid for sunglasses suggests more money than sense to me. It's not like you have to have carl zeiss ultra thin glass lenses in a pair of sunglasses you'll be lucky to wear for more than two weeks a year in this country, and most opticians would probably throw a decent frame in for free with a set of specs.

Yeash.

Seems retarded to me too. Nobody is gonig to notice if you wear "deisgner" freaking glasses. They are glasses. You can buy a new set of tires, or something actually useful for what that costs. Hell, with the 2 pairs, you could have got some lasiks in one eye for that price.
    Unless it has a flashing neon sign that hangs above the head flashing the brand name of your glasses. Woo. Cuz thats obviously the only thing that matters, then it would totally be worth it.

As far as sunglasses goes though, buy in fall ;) :thumb: like 70% off, can't beat that.
    i'm meant to wear glasses for certain things but i don't.
    i am slightly short sighted in one and long sighted in the other i have astigmatism in my right eye. I wear my glasses mainly for eye strain when i'm tired because my eyes have to fight each other to focus.
    What I meant was if they want to spend their money on expensive sunglasses why shouldn't they. Plenty of people waste their own money on cigarettes and that does everyone far more harm.

Why is she wasting other peoples cash?

To protect your eyes from the radiation that damanges them you need decent sized lenses in the sunglasses, as the lenses get bigger, they get thicker. Thus if you are getting reasonable sized lenses for a strong prescription you are going to want to get the ultra thin lenses to keep the thickness and the weight down.
    What I meant was if they want to spend their money on expensive sunglasses why shouldn't they. Plenty of people waste their own money on cigarettes and that does everyone far more harm.

Why is she wasting other peoples cash?

Read other historical threads to find out about why. I agree though, if she wants to spend her own money on ridiculously priced sunglasses..
    To protect your eyes from the radiation that damanges them you need decent sized lenses in the sunglasses, as the lenses get bigger, they get thicker. Thus if you are getting reasonable sized lenses for a strong prescription you are going to want to get the ultra thin lenses to keep the thickness and the weight down.

You want big lenses but not big lenses? The thinest lenses available are glass, and weigh more than plastic, so weight can't have much to do with it. This is about vanity, pure and simple. Hence - more money than sense.
    I quite short sighted, -7 in one eye and -5 in the other with a very slight astmatism in one on them. Have to wear my glasses constantly or I'm fucked. Cant get contacts in at all.
    Mist wrote:
    Read other historical threads to find out about why. I agree though, if she wants to spend her own money on ridiculously priced sunglasses..

You want big lenses but not big lenses? The thinest lenses available are glass, and weigh more than plastic, so weight can't have much to do with it. This is about vanity, pure and simple. Hence - more money than sense.

The big lenses thing is more of a practical thing. If you look at lenses for a short-sighted person, you'll notice that the centre point over the pupil is thin and they get thicker towards the edge. The higher your prescription, the thicker they get, so if you have a high prescription and want lenses bigger than a five penny piece they are going to get pretty thick and weigh more. The thicker lenses also have frame restrictions- for practical and aesthetic reasons and unless you get classic big rimmed nhs plastic specs- these frames can be more expensive. The weight from having thicker lenses coupled with thicker frames can be quite uncomfortable, definately if you want to run around or play any sports too.

I know that the nhs vouchers are tiered but it seems odd to me that people with a low prescription have the ability to have their full cost covered whilst those with an argueably greater need, a higher prescription, have to cover a shortfall. (designer sunglasses excluded as these are a personal choice rather than need)

ETA: we could all just get a strip of cardboard and make pin prick specs though... lol
    It seems strange that a lot of people won't go to the opticians, like they're scared or something?
    I've been optician-friendly since I was a young child, so it only seems natural to have my eyes tested anually (it was 6 monthly until recently).

I have a total of -10 prescription (myopic - short sighted) and my astigmatism is -6, which is verging on moderate to severe myopia. I get a £73 NHS voucher towards the cost of my glasses, and I have to wear them from the minute I wake, to the minute before my head hits the pillow at night.

I've just had a consultation for laser vision correction, and so will hopefully be going ahead with it in the next 12 months or so.

I've just spent £400 on my first ever pair of prescription designer sunglasses, and they should be ready next week (four weeks after ordering them).
    My current glasses cost £450, to have the thinnest lenses I could afford.

You people with 20/20 vision don't know how lucky you are, I tell ya :yes:

Hang on - did you start this thread to just brag about spending stupid amounts of money on sunglasses? I think you're so cool for doing so! And all ythe negative thoughts I had about you for driving a fugly car have been torn to shreds.

My 'shades' were £1.50 from Wilkinson. They make me look like a blind man, minus his stick. But they're excellent - 100% plastic, which is just what I need when I'm out on the motorbike with my visor up,

I could have any sunglasses I wanted, for free. At very, very worst, they'd be at cost. My friend owns a load of opticians.

I respect him because he's worked hard for all his sunglasses. And he has no need to try and brag or impress.
    Firstly, I'm not bragging. I'm interested to know how many other siter's there are with sight problems and like to share info/help about eyesight in general because it's extremely overlooked educationally.

Secondly, I'm so sick of people on here telling others that I'm spending other people's money. I haven't been a Jobseeker since November LAST YEAR, so, erm... GET THE FUCK OVER IT.

And, even if I was still claiming benefits, it'd be MY money, not yours, so I could do whatever the hell I wanted with it, and there's nothing you could do about it so, erm GET OVER THAT TOO. Thankyouplease. :chin:

Back onto eyesight please. :rolleyes:
    Yes, I've worn glasses ever since I was 10. My first pair were ugly things that could have easily been borrowed from Deirdre in Coronation Street at the time. Now, I have thinner, rectangular ones. I'm considering ditching them in favour of contact lenses.
    Contacts in the day, then normally glasses at night for me. Oh and as soon as I can afford it, I'll get them blasted with a laser ;)
    Has anyone ever tried Gas Permeable lenses?

I tried them once when I was about 12 and did this :crying: :crying: :crying: around the shopping centre for 2 hours. :yuck: