Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cheated On Gf How Can I Cope With The Guilt?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I only read the first page, but my advice is don't tell her, I kissed some other girls once after my missus "finished" me, but she STILL counted that as cheating as got back together. Iadmitted it because I am an honest guy with principles, but I swear to fucking god she didn't shut up about it for ages, I'm talking 1 year+, even now every now and again someone says something and I can tell she's thinking about it, it drives me nuts.

What did you do exactly?

If you slept with someone else I reckon the really bad guilt should be over in around 2 weeks, weeks 3+4 with some flashbacks of the guilt. After that then you will probably just feel guilty when you realise how much you love her or when she does something nice for you and you realise what a cunt you were.

Good luck anyway
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    it would be more the fact that they HAD and hadn't told you...what if you found out months later?

The fact that she hadn't told me in the first place wouldn't make the slightest difference to me.
  • Options
    stupid
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote:
    how cowardly

It's not to do with being cowardly.
    If matey tells her, she'll be devo and he'll still feel guilty. Just because you want him to be honest? Soemtimes you have to lie.

Owning up does nobody any good.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

It shows the gf that the bf isn't the person she thought he was.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It's not to do with being cowardly.
    If matey tells her, she'll be devo and he'll still feel guilty. Just because you want him to be honest? Soemtimes you have to lie.

so you would cheat on a girl you really loved?

owning up does good....cause it gives the partner a chance to leave, it's not fair on them to keep lying - they deserve some respect
    if you wanna sleep with other people then don't get into a relationship
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    so you would cheat on a girl you really loved?

No. Where did I say that?
    Ballerina wrote:
    if you wanna sleep with other people then don't get into a relationship

Is life really so black and white to you?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    No. Where did I say that?

Is life really so black and white to you?

you don't seem to have a problem with cheating

well is a relationship an ideal situation when you're still wanting to have fun with different people? unless of course they join in :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    you don't seem to have a problem with cheating

I've said nothing of the sort.
    Ballerina wrote:
    well is a relationship an ideal situation when you're still wanting to have fun with different people?

You can't stop temptation.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I've said nothing of the sort.

You can't stop temptation.
    no but you can resist it
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    no but you can resist it

Now you get it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Now you get it.
    thats what i've been getting at - of course it depends how tempted and how strong willed you are
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    thats what i've been getting at - of course it depends how tempted and how strong willed you are

And some people make mistakes, whether it be through alcohol, drugs or just stupidity. It doesn't have to mean you don't love your partner.

As far as I can see this blokes fucked up and quite rightly he feels shit for it. I'd keep quiet if I were him.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    just tell her...she'll probs end things with you...but honestly you don't seserve a girl if you can't control yourself. maybe you're not a relationship person?...
  • Options
    This happened to me. My boyfriend cheated on me and he didn't tell me. Then, I guess he must have felt he could get away with it, because he did it again. And I found out from a friend, which is horrible, because you put so much trust into someone and suddenly everything was false and it's so humilating.

I think you should tell her, if you explain how guilty you feel and what a mistake it was, she may forgive you. But she deserves that choice. If you feel you could get away with it once, what's to stop you doing it again? And then it just becomes worse. Can you trust yourself?
  • Options
    I haven't read all the replies, so sorry if I repeat anything.

Don't tell your partner that you've cheated. It's not fair. All you are doing is passing your guilt onto her in order to make yourself feel better. Not content with being a selfish little fuck once, you obviously feel the need to be a selfish little fuck again by making yourself feel better by telling her.

Skive, cheating is always unforgivable. If you love someone you do not cheat on them- you know it will hurt them, so if you don't have enough respect for them to keep your knob in your pants then you don't have any respect for them at all.

People who cheat are selfish cunts who have no consideration for anybody but themselves. People who then confess all simply so that they don't have to live with the guilt are even worse.

The guilt is your punishment for being a cunt, and just you remember that.
  • Options
    Quite simply if someone cheated on me, regardless of whether they told me at the time or didn't tell me till later/or got found out, i'd break their legs. Good thing i don't have boyfriends :p

But if there was a 99.9% chance of her not finding out, i'd not admit it. Nothing to be gained from confessing in my opinion.

And yes i know i probably just contradicted myself.
  • Options
    but if there is a 99.9% chance of her not finding out, and so you don't tell her, can you trust yourself to not do it again and again?And would you be able to lie to her like that?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Skive, cheating is always unforgivable.

Never once have i suggested that cheating on your partner is acceptable?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If you tell her, and she decides to stay with you, it's possible the relationship will never be quite the same again. If you can't regain her trust it will put a big strain on the relationship.
  • Options
    Well I hope your proud of yourself, the best way to avoid the guilt is not to cheat in the first place:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Never once have i suggested that cheating on your partner is acceptable?

Not especially, but it can come across as condoning it by having the attitude that shit happens.

Owning up does nobody any good though, except the cheater- it helps their feelings of guilt.

Don't own up unless you will be caught- the guilt you feel is your punishment for being a cunt.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Owning up does nobody any good though, except the cheater- it helps their feelings of guilt.
    Not necessarily true. It prevents the cheated from being even more hurt down the line, if their feelings grow stronger for the cheater and then they find out.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    pffft you are so stupid, why the hell would you cheat on your girlfriend, if you aint happy enough in the relationship to stay faithful then why are you in it in the first place? you deserve whats coming to ya.

i'd never cheat on my girlfriend, i'd rather finish it before i did that. but i aint doing that either.
    Koe - would you be my boyfriend? :flirt: :flirt: :flirt:
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Koe - would you be my boyfriend? :flirt: :flirt: :flirt:
    And mine :p
  • Options
    As has been said before, there are so many reasons why someone would cheat. These reasons dont make it right in any way at all, but there are lots of reasons and circumstances and I dont know what those were for the OP, so I cant tell him what to do. And there's no point in telling him he shouldnt have cheated in the first place, its done now and he probably knows that.

As for the argument about to tell or not to tell, I think it has to depend on the person, their partner, their relationship, and the circumstances.
    In my opinion, I would say if there is no way of her finding out, and you already feel so guilty about it and are never gonna do it again, then dont tell her. what will telling her acheive? either she will leave or she will stay and it will hang over your relationship forever - every time an argument starts up in the future, this will come up. If you've learnt your lesson and are committed to making the relationship work, then just put all your effort into that now.
    If she might find out, or your guilt is already affecting the relationship then maybe tell her - certainly i do agree that finding out from you would be better than finding out from someone else later down the track and having to deal with your lying and secretiveness as well as infidelity.
    If you think you might do it again, break up with her now.
  • Options
    You could just split up with your girlfriend as you don't deserve someone you don't respect. If you do this they don't have to go out with a cunt and will not find out and be hurt by your antics. In return you live with the guilt.

In that way she doesn't get hurt and you do, which seems fair to me.
  • Options
    keep your mouth shut and dont do it again
  • Options
    um, did you actually sleep with this random girl? and did you use a condom?
    cause if you did sleep with her and didn't use anything, you're already at risk and you don't want to fuck it up further by passing something onto her.
    One of the worst ways to find out that you were cheated on is by finding you've caught something.
  • Options
    keep your mouth shut and dont do it again

:thumb:
    Weekender Offender