Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Whaling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone else appalled that Japan and other nations have won a crucial vote to return to whaling again? Its so saddening watching their hunts on greenpeace's website, and just cannot see how they can be able to get away with doing such a barbaric thing. The problem is are we ever going to be able to stop them from doing such a thing. Financial methods are the only way to prevent this as this is the motivation for them to kill the whales in the first place, but can this ever be achieved?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i don't think its right. no.
    but P&D forum might be right for this thread. :p
    It's not right but then again lots of things in this world aren't. It will take a lot to put a stop to it.

Yep, P&D :yes:
    I couldn't believe it. Did you see the film on the 10 oclock news just now when they were bleeding the whale over the side of the boat?

Oh, and scientific research my arse.
    "Oh yes, today we have researched that this whale is REALLY QUITE TASTY. However, we need to sample 874 more just to make sure that they all taste so good."

Some of the schools are having whale meat put on their menus, all the children are growing up thinking that whaling is right and normal. If they want to stop whaling they need to start teaching those kids that it's wrong.
    I don't kill any animals. Whales don't 'grow back' very quickly. Erm, they take a long time to gestate and their populations don't recover very easily so if they kill too many they could become extinct. You can't keep whale 'stock levels' artificially high like you can other animals that are killed for meat.
    rachie004 wrote:
    why is it ok to kill certain animals but not others?

I'm interested

Whales are an endangered species and none are specifically grown for killing like cows of chickens. They're just killed from their natural habitat.
    MattMatt wrote:
    . Financial methods are the only way to prevent this as this is the motivation for them to kill the whales in the first place, but can this ever be achieved?
    what kind of financial?
    whale meat is unfortunately in demand.
    It's extremely disspiriting news. I do take heart in the fact that the vote was so very close, however.
    It's the result that counts though, not how close it was. They won, that's the point.
    It's the result that counts though, not how close it was. They won, that's the point.
    Re-count! Well, why not? It worked for George Bush. He lost the count, yet became President. Send in the lawyers! :p
    I beleive many species of whales are not endangered, if whaling were kept to those species and there were strict quotas to avoid any serious depopulation then I see nothing wrong with it.

I would be more worried about some of the more 'common' fish e.g. Cod, Tuna, Haddock that are being massively overfished and people happily tuck into them without a thought........
    Toadborg wrote:
    I would be more worried about some of the more 'common' fish e.g. Cod, Tuna, Haddock that are being massively overfished and people happily tuck into them without a thought........

Well yeah, there was another thread that touched on this the other day.

But just because we have grave concerns about overfishing in other parts of the world and with regard to different species doesn't mean that the cause of saving the whales is somehow less worthy of environmental concern and - of course - compassion.

It's not any more "ok" to hunt whales than it is any other animal, so yeah I suppose you could take the view that if one animal's good for it then they all are. But whales are endangered, and even the species that aren't currently endangered will more than likely be facing that fate in the very near future as a result of this vote. I think it's deeply irresponsible behaviour, at best.
    didn't japan bribe other pooer countries to vote with them?
    and why do so many need to be caught for 'scientific research'?
    They want them for food, but since they have the loophole about scientific research they prod them for a bit in a scientific manner (carefully, so as not to damage the meat) and then eat them.
    Toadborg wrote:
    I beleive many species of whales are not endangered, if whaling were kept to those species and there were strict quotas to avoid any serious depopulation then I see nothing wrong with it.

:thumb:
    Hunchback whales are endangered though... sadly they are a favourite in your average Japanese menu.

However it should be said that there is an argument of whether those whales that are not endangered should be hunted or not. Well, some people might see it as hypocritical but I believe they should not be hunted even if they are not considered endangered. Of course this is just a question of beliefs- pretty much in the same way as whether it is right or not to eat dogs.
    humpback :)

So if they were allowed to hunt the whales that were not considered endangered, and had a quota, who would enforce this quota and how?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    humpback :)

So if they were allowed to hunt the whales that were not considered endangered, and had a quota, who would enforce this quota and how?

Chinese Navy I say. They'd be good at enforcing it... and probably sinking a few Japanese vessels anyway, to keep 'em or their toes.
    Given that they manage to hunt over 1,000 whales for 'research', I dread to think how many they would hunt commercially if they were allowed.
    fuck all. whale meat sales are plumetting in Japan. they are doing it to maintain tradition.
    rachie004 wrote:
    why is it ok to kill certain animals but not others?

I'm interested

Why is it ok to kill some people but not others?
    First we have to stop killing each other and then we can worry about the damn whales!!
    :grump:
    The human race is a disgrace, we've wiped out thousands of species, some who have been around for millions of years. Whales are intelligent mammals and should not be hunted in such a brutal way, we've f*cked the world up enough already, cant we leave these beautiful animals alone! who are we to wipe them out of existence...
    Why would they want whale meat anyway? surely not to eat it? wouldnt it be all blubery and horrid?
    its just an animal inthe ocean. giant cows of the seas.

id love to eat a minke burger. yum!:yum:
    Aladdin wrote:
    Given that they manage to hunt over 1,000 whales for 'research', I dread to think how many they would hunt commercially if they were allowed.
    oh look, this whale has this....lets just hunt a few hundred more to see if they are the same....leave the whales alone i say
    To be able to catch fish sustainably, the whale population must also be controlled. The human race and whales compete for the fish so we really don't want to ban hunting whales for eternity. There must be balance.

I have my reservations about Iceland catching whales, but mainly because I believe we make more money off whale watching than we do from hunting them. For now, at least.

Oh, and not all whale species are endangered. It seems that most of the resistance to all whaling is just nations being sensationalist.
    The human race is a disgrace, we've wiped out thousands of species, some who have been around for millions of years. Whales are intelligent mammals and should not be hunted in such a brutal way, we've f*cked the world up enough already, cant we leave these beautiful animals alone! who are we to wipe them out of existence...

So whales deserve special treatment because they are 'intelligent' and nice to look at?

Hmmm........
    Toadborg wrote:
    So whales deserve special treatment because they are 'intelligent' and nice to look at?

Hmmm........

Don't put words in people's mouths. She didn't say they deserved "special treatment", only better treatment than we currently afford them. It's not entirely surprising that a person would exposit the virtues of whales and the reasons not to hunt them in a thread about whale hunting.

choice.jpg
    Jaloux wrote:
    To be able to catch fish sustainably, the whale population must also be controlled. The human race and whales compete for the fish so we really don't want to ban hunting whales for eternity. There must be balance.
    I thought whales ate plankton?

Incidentally, nature has always had a way of balancing itself. It is only the human race that manages to fuck things up and unabalance things, and indeed cause the extinction of species.
    Aladdin wrote:

Well you thought wrong. :) There are many different species of whales. Orcas happily munch on seals after brutally killing them. The minkwhale (which we hunt here) eats fish, I think it's the same fish that the Cod feeds off of.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Incidentally, nature has always had a way of balancing itself. It is only the human race that manages to fuck things up and unabalance things, and indeed cause the extinction of species.

That was my point. We made the mess and thus we are the ones responsible for fixing it by manually keeping the balance.
    Aladdin wrote:

:confused:

Strange understanding of nature there, most extinctions in the history of the earth have been caused by 'nature' not be humans. I am sure there are plenty if animlas wiped out by other animals...