Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

help with my dissertation - what makes you enjoy filling in a questionnaire???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ok, this is in preparation for collecting the data for my dissertation next year, so ive put it in student also, but i wanted some more general answers, so put it here too. Hope that's ok!

so, anyways, what id like to know is: What makes a good/bad questionnaire??. Things that annoy you, and things you like - whether its good/bad designs of how you have to answer a question, to too many/too few questions.
Please just give me as much information as possible, even examples would be good, but i get alot of marks for how i collect my data, so i want lots of people to be willing to respond.
Thanks
xxx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    When the answers apply, like if you ask me what footy team i support and I tell you that I don't, then there shouldn't be a load of questions on how much winning matters with my team and stuff without being able to say n/a
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I don't like having too many boxes where I have to write a full answer in, multiple choice is good with 'other' at the end. Also putting things in order of preference is okay as long as it's only 1-3, anything over that and I get bored zzzzz. And probably not a questionaire more than about 25 questions at most...

Hope that helped a bit!
  • Options
    I assume they've already told you quite a bit about questionairs and how to conduct good ones on your course. You've got ages until you need to do it, so find a good book on research methods in the library and you will be set.

As for my opinion:

If you offer a reward, you'll get more of them returned to you. Say a draw for a few people to win a fiver or something.

Remember there is a return bias on questionairs, the people who return them, usually have more to say about the subject.

Start off with short questions, with tick boxes, then sneak in long questions in the end. After they've already spent their time on the first few questions, they will feel they should finish it.

Be consistant with your questions. Dont ask some questions with [Agree/Disagree] and then others with [on a scale between 1-5.......] it annoys people, and they have to think more.
  • Options
    When it patronises the person's intelligence by asking them if it knows who the Queen is or something like that. Also when the questions are way too vague.
  • Options
    I never liked rating scales e.g. Rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 for blah blah.

Especially if the thing they're asking you about is variable from time to time.

As to what makes me enjoy flling them out, well I like them to be short, and I usually only enjoy filling them out if they're on a subject matter in which I have an interest.