Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Going to Scotland

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to Scotland for about a week in July. Got cheap train tickets to Edinburgh, am planning on staying there for a night, then going to somewhere in the countryside.

I've never been North of the border before, where should I go? And any general tips?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I'm going to Scotland for about a week in July. Got cheap train tickets to Edinburgh, am planning on staying there for a night, then going to somewhere in the countryside.

I've never been North of the border before, where should I go? And any general tips?
    The area covered by Loch Lomond National Park and Trossachs, which are easy to get to from Edinburgh,probably encapsulate most of what a first time visitor to Scotland would want to see.If you wish to travel further north then Speyside is beautiful.Just Google either location-lots of info, pics, etc.Also don't miss out on Glasgow,the people are friendly and the city has some of the U.Ks finest museums and parks.(all free).Enjoy your visit!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I agree about Loch Lomond and the Trossachs. If it is countryside you are looking for then I would go there, for easy access from Edinburgh.

However, if you were wanting to go further north you have Loch Ness and the Highlands. However, you would then need to get from Ed to Inverness.

Spend a day or so in Edinburgh itself too. The architecture is gorgeous.
    If you go to Glasgow then I've heard the Glasgow Tour Bus takes in a lot of great sites, just don't go on the open deck because it'll probably rain :lol:

Personally I think one of the nicest things to do is take a walk down the Kelvin Walkway which runs down the River Kelvin. Really nice and relaxing. Although i doubt you'll have time for that!
    Well I've booked a night in Edinburgh, and a coach to and from Inverness.

I've heard Loch Ness gets very busy, anyone got any suggestions of places to see round there, things to do etc?

Not sure whether to camp or stay in a hostel.
    Fort Augustus is lovely, Im sure littlemissy will agree. It's about 35 miles from Inverness and worth the trip.

This is where we always stay when we go - http://www.thecaledonianhotel.com/index.asp
    Jazza wrote:
    If you go to Glasgow then I've heard the Glasgow Tour Bus takes in a lot of great sites, just don't go on the open deck because it'll probably rain :lol:

Personally I think one of the nicest things to do is take a walk down the Kelvin Walkway which runs down the River Kelvin. Really nice and relaxing. Although i doubt you'll have time for that!
    The Glasgow tour bus is fun, though I got kicked off for blowing bubbles off the top deck...hehe!!

The Trossachs park and areas are really lovely, though.
    The trossachs is beautiful. Loch Katrine is so Beautiful. If you can get up to Glencoe as well, I just find it absolutely breathtaking - you can just FEEL the history in the air. Definitely go for the west coast rather than the east if you want breathtaking scenery. The west is very rugged with mountains cliffs and waterfalls, whereas the east, whilst still nice, is a lot flatter.
    Jazza wrote:

I almost got hit by that fucker the other day. He actually waited till I started crossing the road till he decided to move. Tell ya, there was inches in it.

Inverness bores the crap out of me, I suppose it's becaue I'm a teuchter and I've seen it all before.

Love Edinburgh though.
    Hmmm if you like countryside and quiteness get the bus/train down to Ardrossen and head over to the Isle of Arran for a day or two, in the summer theres a bit to do and I love it over there myself (infact moving there on the 17th) but tis good for peaceful quiet countryside with some good activities to do (jet ski, boating, para gliding, quads etc etc) other than that edinburgh is fun and I love the zoo there,
    Hellfire wrote:
    Hmmm if you like countryside and quiteness get the bus/train down to Ardrossen and head over to the Isle of Arran for a day or two, in the summer theres a bit to do and I love it over there myself (infact moving there on the 17th) but tis good for peaceful quiet countryside with some good activities to do (jet ski, boating, para gliding, quads etc etc) other than that edinburgh is fun and I love the zoo there,
    Better still, if you are prepared to spend the extra cash, come down to Ayr and take the Waverley across to Arran. Better than the boring car ferry!
    Better still, if you are prepared to spend the extra cash, come down to Ayr and take the Waverley across to Arran. Better than the boring car ferry!
    lol @ The Waverley

Had someone go on about it for about 2 Hours on the train to Edinburgh *he* even had a 'Waverley' tote bag :lol: