Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

a boyfriend question for the ladies...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...well a couple actually

has there been something you liked or wanted to do, e.g. cut your hair short, wear a kind of dress, smoke etc., but your (past or present) boyfriend didnt like, so you end up not doing it? it could be from the mundane to the extreme.

if it was a previous (or present) boyfriend, did you get back at him regarding this? how did you do it, e.g. cut your hair short, wear a kind of dress, smoke etc.?

Comments

• Options
    i want to colour my hair a darker red, but my bf didn't want me too cause he says he loves my hair as it is
    then i convinced him saying it wouldn't really be dyed, just tinted a darker shade and hes fine....besides, he's had his hair all sorts of wild colours so he can't really complain :p
  • Options
    my friends friend had long hair and wanted to get it cut shorter but her boyfriend didn't want her to so she didn't. as soon as he dumped her she got it whacked off. and i think she looks much prettier so nur to him. :thumb:

personally i wouldn't put up with a fella telling me how i was allowed to have my hair!
  • Options
    My boyfriend also has the thing about the long hair - he wouldn't forbid me from cutting it, but when I get it cut, he often says, 'It looked better longer :(' . I don't take a lot of notice of him to be honest - it's my hair, not his! It's long at the moment, I'm growing it out of novelty value, but I expect I'll get bored soon and get it cut back to chin length. I can do more with it that way, piss about with pretty little hair clips etc., which don't work so well when my hair's long and thick.

One of my mates' ex was a real control freak: told her what to wear. how long her hair should be, got twitchy whenever she was anywhere that she might see/meet other blokes and used to demand verbatum replays of exactly what she said to any other male. she saw sense after about 4 years and ditched him thank God...
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    she saw sense after about 4 years and ditched him thank God...

didnt waste to much of her life then :lol:

(didnt mean to offend just found that queite funny!)
  • Options
    My boy likes me hair shorter... and in my relationship, it depends on what the constraints are etc.

Hair is ok, cept when he cuts his hair *cries*
  • Options
    didnt waste to much of her life then :lol:

(didnt mean to offend just found that queite funny!)

Yeah well, he was her first boyfriend and she was pretty blinkered to his imperfections, or just assumed that that was what being in a relationship was like. I really dunno how she did it, he was a major twat. She's since said that she wishes she'd given him the shove when she went to uni and feels she missed out somewhat on the whole uni experience, being tied to him like she was. Still, she's living in Berlin now, working for Easyjet and having a whale of a time :)
  • Options
    From a guy's perspective me and my ex had loads of arguments about her smoking. She would always say it was no big deal at all and she only did it socially, then she was smoking all the time and i didnt like it, she promised she had quit then smoked and lied about it to me for ages. Not why we broke up but the lying about it was the worst bit to me.
  • Options
    Once had a steaming row/mini break up over me not shaving my armpits. I'm not with him and still don't shave my armpits... though that isn't why we broke up, lol.
  • Options
    my boyfriend ask/hints/tells me not to do alot of things most of them have to do with dressing( only wear that hisrt/skirt when were together), and going places. He hates when I do social things without him and tells me so each and everytime in one format or another. I don't do anything to get back at him we are still together. Tho i never consult him about my hair which he just hates
  • Options
    The only thing I can think of is that when I was complaining about being bored with my hair, and his mum suggested I got a side fringe thingy, he immediately said he wouldnt like my hair with a fringe. He jumped the gun a bit, and his mum told him off, but I agree with him anyway so it's never ocme into dispute.
  • Options
    Nope... I'll never be told what I can or can't wear/do/look like. If HE doesn't like it, he can sod off as far as I'm concerned.:naughty:
  • Options
    Nope... I'll never be told what I can or can't wear/do/look like. If HE doesn't like it, he can sod off as far as I'm concerned.:naughty:

This is what I think as well.
  • Options
    Sometimes I feel like having a cigarette, but I dont for respect of the boyfriend.

Though tbh, like Illora said, if I wanted to do something and they didn't want me to, fuck them. Especially something so mundane as coloring or cutting your hair. Hed have to be such a dickhead asshole to tell anybody if they can or cannot do that.
  • Options
    What about something a little more perminant such as piercings or tatoos? Like your in love with your boyfriend and tell him your getting piercing in your tongue or eyebrow or lip and he says he doesnt like it. Would you do it anyway and hope he gets over it?
  • Options
    Yea I found with my ex of 2 1/2 years I had to supress the sort of wild streak in me and tamed down a lot, wouldnt wear crazy make up or wear short skirts (all those gym sessions were in vain:mad: )

Since january I've become my own person again, wear what I want, talk to who I want, smoke what I like and swear like a fucking sailor once again.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    What about something a little more perminant such as piercings or tatoos? Like your in love with your boyfriend and tell him your getting piercing in your tongue or eyebrow or lip and he says he doesnt like it. Would you do it anyway and hope he gets over it?

:yes: Just cuz he has to look at doesn't mean he can say what you can do with your body, permanant or not. My boyfriend hates tattoos, especially the one I'm going to get, told me straight up that it would be the worst tattoo, would disown me during football season :p But that won't stop me from getting it, and he knows and he was also sure to give me the whole, but I don't care what you get or do, its whatever you want. Which, tbh, kind of sucked cuz I was trying to get him to help me with the design, getting his opinions and such, and he just kept telling me, its your body, get what you like, oh I got so mad I hate his lack of opinion on those kinds of things, he won't even give his opinion on nail polish colors, its always, its up to you, its whatever you want hunny :mad: :p
  • Options
    My boyfriend recently said 'oh, your hair's getting long again, get it cut'... it's grown like 2 inches, it's hardly different, just looks a bit longer when I straighten it. I said I would if I could afford it, but I'm certainly not doing it because he asks me to. I like his input and welcome it, and hey, if he pays, I'll get my hair cut no problem. But he still gets his hair cut when I wish he wouldn't so PAH to him.

We both tend to do whatever we want. We'll ask for help and opinions, and I like when he likes my clothes, which he generally does. I have one cardigan thing that he hates, but I'll wear it anyway. Maybe one day to piss him off. Who knows...

Anyway, independence is good. I think that a good relationship is when you can be your own person, but also are totally compatible together. So huzzah. :D
  • Options
    Never really had any problems in that department! He's fine with what I wear, how I have my hair, what I say/do. If he wasn't, then I'd start criticising him :) Just had about 4/5/6 inches cut off of my hair thou, which I think he may have been a little bit worried about, cos he's always had a thing about my hair, but at the end of the day it doesn't really change me, so don't see a problem!
  • Options
    My mates bloke booked her into a posh hair salon without asking her. He then told her that "the woman who's been cutting your hair privately isn't a real hairdresser because she doesn't work in a salon" (her husbands poorly so she does private hairdressing now instead of salon work) and then the thing that would have really pissed me off "You look like a scruffy fucking hippy so i've decided you're going to have your haircut at this place tomorrow at 10am."

Now that would have sent me into a real frenzy if someone, esp. my husband, tried to do that line on me. She meekly went along and hubby darling was estatic. Wanker. I would have been pretty offended. But maybe that's just me.
  • Options
    We both tend to do whatever we want. We'll ask for help and opinions, and I like when he likes my clothes, which he generally does. I have one cardigan thing that he hates, but I'll wear it anyway. Maybe one day to piss him off. Who knows...

That made me smile, my ex hated one item of my clothing in particular... and that was a cardigan. Which I happened to love :D He also hated hated HATED me wearing dresses, and they make up a large part of my wardrobe. Dick.

I'd like to say I'd never change for a man or in a relationship, and I'd never compromise my values or what makes me feel comfortable. But, I can't say that a small part of me doesn't take on something of their attitude to the things mentioned like appearance, smoking etc - like a lizard changing and adapting to its surroundings. A barely conscious change. Or something. If that even makes sense.

I've noticed it a lot in my last three "relationships", all with completely different men with different outlooks, styles etc. I'm noticing a lot with my new boyfriend that because he throws caution to the wind, I do too, I know he'd never say "don't wear that cardi", "stop smoking" etc because that's not who he is and that was part of what attracted me to him. Good stuff :)
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    Now that would have sent me into a real frenzy if someone, esp. my husband, tried to do that line on me. She meekly went along and hubby darling was estatic. Wanker. I would have been pretty offended. But maybe that's just me.

What an utter cunt.

:impissed:
  • Options
    I'm not into the whole "i'm never going to change for anyone" thing. I think compromise is what's called for.

There are plenty of things I would like to do but I know my girlfriend wouldn't approve of, so I don't, it's not really a big deal (shaivng my head for one)

I do draw the line obviously, but for little things like one hair cut out of a hundred not being liked by my girlfriend then I'm happy to not have it.

Likewise (hair again) I hate short hair on women and she knows this, I'm never going to say don't get it, but I think she won't just because I hate it. But again, I'm not overly fussed with whatever else she decides to do with it (colour, style etc) so is it really that big a deal?
  • Options
    Had all my hair cut off, and the boyfriend at the time said, without even seeing it, "Ehhhhhhhh, you've spoilt yourself now". With the "Eh" and everything. Dumped him pronto.

My current boyfriend doesn't like going out - as in out for meals unless it's like macdonalds/subway, or out for drinks. I've told him that he is going to have to get over that, but that I wont pressure him in the mean time. Although I do think he's due a reminder that he's meant to be sorting out the social complex. ;)
  • Options
    I've told him that he is going to have to get over that, but that I wont pressure him in the mean time.

That seems like a pretty good attitude, but what if he never get's over it?

I have a real issue with beach/pool holidays in the sun. In fact I flat out refuse to go on them, for a number of reasons. This really bothers my girlfriend who has a little dig about how she doesn't like the idea of us not going on them every now and then. Iit'll come up in conversation and i'll get the "you're so bad for depriving me of such a holiday". I usually end it by saying "yeah maybe one day" but to be honest I have no intention of doing it.
  • Options
    Then he'll just be forced out on special occaisions i.e. my birthday like this year, and when I go out it'll just be with my mate or work.

I'm not a going out person anyway, I tend to go out with work for birthdays/holidays, and then my best friend will drag me out. So it's not a big issue, and it doesn't happen often, but I just feel a bit crap that everytime I used to ask he said no, the main one being a valentines party. Got me wondering whether or not he really wanted to spend time with me, and we almost broke up over it at one point. Instead whilst he was living near I used to settle for going to his afterwards and he'd walk me home after an hour or so.
  • Options
    I don't think my boyfriend puts any pressure on me about it, but he always goes on about how he likes my hair down when I normally tie it up. He knows I tie it up most of the time because I can't be bothered with taming it - I occasionally make the effort for special occasions with him and it's always appreciated. That said, I have had it cut tonight and I love the new style so I might wear it down a lot more now.

He used to wear cord trousers (don't ask!) a lot, but I kept throwing in comments about how good he looked in his jeans and how he wears those all the time and the cords have been banished to the back of the wardrobe! Also he's been wanting to change his hair for a while (not that he's bothered to look for any ideas so he can't be that serious) but I've 'mentioned' (maybe once or twice.. ;)) that I like it as it is so I don't think he'll go thru with it ;) hehe
  • Options
    OK quick question.

My girlfriend quitelikes her piercings, which I hate, but always say they look fine and although they're not my thing I think they look good on her. She's set on getting another one in her ear, which I think will look awful, but she's bound to ask my opinion or get it done and expect some kind of comment from me. What am I supposed to say? Lie and say I love it or say "well it's not my cup of tea, but if you like it then it's great"? I don't want to 'indirectly' tell her what to do with her own body.
  • Options
    I think I would be inclined to say that it's not your thing but that it looks good on her. You aren't being dishonest (unless it really looks bad) but that certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Hmmm I just inadvertantly quoted you. If she asks before she gets it, just tell her that if she wants it done, to get it done, and that although you aren't keen on the idea it's her body and you're sure she'll look sexy (or whatever) with it.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    If it's something to do with my physical appearance, then it'll be me who decides what I do with my body, not my boyfriend. If it was some big moral issue, then of course we'd discuss it (and I'd still have the final say!!)....