Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Personal Statements

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
I suppose this could go in both Student and here ...

What makes a *good* personal statement? What do you think makes a statement "yeah, that person is fucking good at what they do."

How do you make such a thing?

Please enlighten me :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't say I've known anyone other than your careers advisor to ever read them to be honest.
    Sound confident in yourself. Make them want you. Like in mine I made a point in saying I got the Business Cup for being the best in my year etc. A good reference also doesn't go amiss.
    Good grammar and spelling help a lot. Then readability and ease of comprehension. The probably a strong writing style, something that shows your personality clearly.
    What are they for again? I know I've written one, but I can't remember anyone reading it.
    The only one I've written was for my University application.

My interviewer said it was one of the best she'd ever read... I could hardly fit my head out of the door :lol:. Not sure what made it good though, a good balance of self-promotion/detailing the faaabulous things you've done in the past and also showing that you're forward-thinking... what you hope to achieve etc. Maybe.
    Good English, damnit! Clear, concise, good spelling/grammar/punctuation. Avoid using the same words and phrases over and over and over and try to avoid starting every other sentence with 'I'. It's gonna be one of hundreds (maybe) that's read so try and give whoever's reading it a break from the monotony.

I went over my uni personal statements so many times with my ex-English tutor, I feel like it's all imprinted on my brain. :(
    Well i got told my ucas personal statement was really good and i guess its the same kind of thing(?) i think mine was good because i wrote mine like a short life story (only including relevant things) rather than just stating facts and figures like a lot of my friends did.
    a good opening, so they sit up and take notice and want to read the rest.
    experience in lots of areas where you get a lot out of the experiences and grow as a person and prove it.