Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

blood cancer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend had a lump on his neck which he recently got removed, and he went his doctor today who said he had blood cancer. Hes being rather secretive about it which is fair enough but im quite worried, i had a look on the net about forms of blood cancer and stuff but it all doesnt make much sense to me, the doctor said it was acute thoguh, i dont even know what acute means, could someone shed a little light?

Comments

• Options
    maybe lukeimia, or bone marrow thingy?
  • Options
    That's awful for him and his loved ones, I am sorry.

But it's hard to know based on the info he's given you, and you to us. It could be any manner of things and though it being diagnosed as acute is worrying, there isn't any point in fretting until you know the facts... or at least try.

Is there any chance you could get him to open up a bit more? He might be a secretive, keeps-himself-to-himself-type, but this is possibly one of the times it might be a good idea to try and push a bit further in the quest for disclosure. I'm sure he'll need as much support as he can get, and even though he might want to try and forget about it as much as humanly possible, you can best support him if you know the facts. If he doesn't want to go into detail with you then I'm sure you'll support him anyway of course, good luck to both of you.
  • Options
    'Blood cancer' = leukaemia, usually.

Acute = sudden onset.

If your mate doesn't want to tell you the ins and outs then that's fair enough. Otherwise, just be as supportive as you can.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Otherwise, just be as supportive as you can.

:yes:

Really sorry to hear about your friend. Sometimes it's really hard to know how to support someone for the best. This article might offer you some tips.

Take care
  • Options
    My brother (36) was diagnosed with acute myloid leukemia in January, 6 months on he has had 2 lots of chemo and has remission (treatment is still ongoing) and he is pretty much "normal" inbetween chemo sessions. The fact you mention acute indicates to me that it is probably a form of leukemia. Acute means that it is fast acting and needs to be treated VERY intesively and quickly.

It came totally out of the blue but obviously being so close to it all (I am also his bone marrow donor if it comes to that) I understand it and can empathise. So if you want to know more about it or chat then send me a PM.
  • Options
    it could also be a lymphoma, that often presents as a lump in the neck.
  • Options
    hodgekins lymphoma it be. Hes gotta have chemo, i allways thought that was like radiation,, but apprntly its drugs. I had a poke about on the net but thers just looooads of crap i dont really understand. WHat does chemo involve? what are the side effects?
  • Options
    Same situation as my best mate then. She is in her second month of chemo at the moment.

http://www.lrf.org.uk/en/1/infdispathod.html is a very good site, the link is for the Hogdkins Lymphoma page on the site.

If you want to ask anything else or to chat PM me, I've got very little else to do at the moment.

Couple of things:

Chemo is really evil toxis chemicals that get pumped into the patient in a similar manner to a drip. The chemicals then kill the cancerous cells. Unfortunately the nasty chemicals tend to make people feel very ill and have all kind of icky side effects, but the long term effect is worth the short term hell.

Your friend will be really vulnerable to disease at the moment, so make sure you and the rest of your mates stay well away if you have even a slight sniffle, its not worth the risk to him.h
  • Options
    he persists in smoking and drinking, i understand that probably isnt wise?
  • Options
    Your right there.

Neither of those is wise at all! But you have to bear in mind that he's traumatised at the moment and very stressed so quitting either of those let alone both is going to be a massive challenge at the moment.
  • Options
    I mean, he hasnt acutlaly started treament yet, how would smoking any drinking effect his condition?
  • Options
    Well its not going to help put it that way.

I realise he hadn't started treatment yet, but he's still under a lot of stress, it's not nice to be told you've got cancer.
  • Options
    Smoking (and possibly drinking, but don't quote me) lowers your immune system, which could be catastrophic when it comes to something such as cancer, where immune systems will already be lowering. Smoking is definately not something he should be doing.