Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Desktop Base Unit - Ebay!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well im looking for a base unit only, mouse ect i dont mind

Im looking for 512 Ram

and all the other good stuff

But i want a GFX more then 64 i.e Not 64 im having problems finding it

Ebay.co.uk Only

anyone who helps thanks!!!:love:

Comments

• Options
    Why does it have to be on Ebay?
  • Options
    I didnt really think "out of the box" so feel free to give me your ideas .co.uk please
  • Options
    build your own?
  • Options
    I hadnt really thought about that, but i know how to do the standard stuff like put some cards in, internal drivers HHD, but unlesss i had some idea of what im doing, i think i might muck it up, BUT! The thing is i want a tower that has room for improvement, because ive got 2x 256 Ram which i want to stick in the main thing im looking for is a good processer and GFX
  • Options
    Mist wrote:

Im really thinking about building one because it sounds cheaper?

The 2nd link is good and the price range is good i.e below 250 :pIm cheap i know:p

Any more ideas or places to buy these parts
  • Options
    By the way whats the difference in choosing the Intel Bundles?

i.e this one

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Intel_Celeron_Bundles.html
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    By the way whats the difference in choosing the Intel Bundles?

It means that you get an Intel based motherboard and processor instead of AMD stylee. Personal preference.
  • Options
    Hmm thanks mist, okay ive been looking around and ive found this one id like your view on this one mist, and what else would i need

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/103335

Just to fill anyone in:

I have the following,

> x2 256 RAM
    > x2 Network Cards
    > x1 4 Port USB Card
  • Options
    build your own?

Is this more expensive than buying one which is already fully made?
  • Options
    Well i only need the inside parts & a tower so wouldnt it work out cheaper?
  • Options
    Hmm well the one i just posted is not worth it Although the website mist showed me works out cheaper So if i am going to build one i know ill need this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Intel_Celeron_Bundles.html

The one at the top
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Building is cheaper... although if building one eBuyer is far cheaper still.

Plus if you build it you can choose the spec yuorself as you REALLY want it instead of comprimising.:yes:

Not a bad bundle deal btw... if its what you want and it gets back in stock, go for it.
  • Options
    Hmm thanks:thumb: Ive been looking around Dabs, Ebuyer and over clockers for the past half an hour.

On my list of which The pc will be made out of is:

> Tower - 350w Fan inside - Is this good enough?
    > Bundle Here

Is there anything else i will need?

I have got a CD-RW & DVD But i dont have the software for them but they should work?
  • Options
    Hard drive and Graphics card maybe?

Also... the 350 watt PSU... what sorta things you putting in this? How many case fans you intending to pop in... how many CD/DVD drives and Hard Disks?

I have a 480 watt that I want to upgrade to a 500... I have a DVD drive, DVDRW, two HDD's, four case fans and SLI'd GFX cards. Plus an Athlon 64bit processor... I should probably have a 500 or more, but my rig is extreme.

If you are making a standard PC with little extras... like, 1x Optical Drive, 1x HDD, basic components and GFX.. then you'd never need more than a standard PSU.

I think you are, so yes - the 350 watt should be fine. Hell, a 300 probably would be ok for you! :thumb:
  • Options
    Ive always found web systems to be really cheap
  • Options
    O god, erm well im wanting to get a new HHD because the one at the moment i believe is Haunting me!

So 60 should be ok because i can use Another one which is smaller, erm the gfx is the thing that i really want but if i think about it i dont really need a WHOLE new PC - Alot of you are going to go >.< But hey

At the moment Ive got a PC which has a Nvida 64mb GFX card, which slots in and the Ram is 512 And 2 HHDs

So to save me alot of money i think i should just get a New GFX Card, a better one for gaming and a New HHD a Bigger one i.e 100? Because im planning on putting Steam/Half Life & The Sims & The sims 2 Every single one of them:angel:

So if anyone wants lend me A REALLY BIG HAND and help me id come over and give you a Big kiss:lol:
    You dont have to take the kiss, There will be a Fee of 10 pound for me to come find you:lol:
  • Options
    A quick update:

I need to know regards the GFX card it dont connect like a Network card does it connects into a bigger port and theres only one on my Motherboard Does anyone know what this slot is called?

And i will only need peoples thoughts on the products i will submit
  • Options
    You'll want more ram if you are upgrading... plus whats your processor like? That would generally help if I knew that :p

If grabbing a new HDD... not really worth going for anything under 200gb.

Graphics... at least 128mb ram onboard... 256 preferable. I am guessing you have AGP, right? Make sure you don't buy a PCIe card by mistake, eh?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Is this more expensive than buying one which is already fully made?

It depends. If you have a computer and an XP cd key then yea, as you can just use that and switch to the new one. But if not, buying a dell PC with XP included is usually the best value for money option. Mind you - might be interesting to point out that nobody who knows anything about PCs goes anywhere near Dells. Or AOL. Both are the work of the devil.

Minimal list of things you need:

Case with Power Supply
    CD Drive (to install operating system)
    Hard Disk Drive
    Motherboard
    Processor
    RAM
    Video output - normally included on motherboards but they're mainly 2D only so if you fancy doing anything at all get a proper graphics card.
    Monitor / keyboard / mouse

Add bits at your leisure.

Regarding card interfaces:
    PCI is what it's called for network cards
    AGP is the older standard for graphics cards, most likely you have this
    PCI-E is what any new motherboards have.
  • Options
    Whats wrong with Dell? I have a Dell P4 thats just on 3 years and 6 months, and its been nothing but excellent.
  • Options
    Whats wrong with Dell? I have a Dell P4 thats just on 3 years and 6 months, and its been nothing but excellent.

What's wrong with AOL?

Not great value for money. My brother got a computer from Dell with everything that on paper looks more powerful than mine. His cost £399, mine was £300 initially but have spent another £100 upgrading it (mind you, he's spent money upgrading his too with more memory).

However, mine outperforms his in just about every way. He's had to send his back when things didn't work, it acts like a crappy old system.
  • Options
    There's lots wrong with AOHell, lol.

Anyhoo, i don't know how it works over there, but here in Australia at least, Dell is actually better value for money than most other manufacturers, and the machines are very reliable...the only major failure i've had with mine was when Windows killed itself, and even so, once i reinstalled it i was back in business. My only real complaint is that the case fan is a touch loud, but other than that the machine is nothing short of excellent.
  • Options
    There's lots wrong with AOHell, lol.

Anyhoo, i don't know how it works over there, but here in Australia at least, Dell is actually better value for money than most other manufacturers, and the machines are very reliable...the only major failure i've had with mine was when Windows killed itself, and even so, once i reinstalled it i was back in business. My only real complaint is that the case fan is a touch loud, but other than that the machine is nothing short of excellent.

Dells are quite cheap, but they use second-rate parts and break quite easily, and the performance, even though on paper is good, because the parts are shoddy they dont tend to run that well. And fans can be loud, install a new one, couple of pounds :D. I have changed every case in my computer to a silent one, its utter bliss. Except of course, that the DVD drive is wonky so spins at 1203781623rpm when its loading the DVD.

Windows killed itself? :nervous: oo-er. My brother had to send his back due to a fault HDD, then again because the USB ports didn't work. All working now though (I think?). I've heard dell laptops are a different story, but just for the reputation of their desktop units, I would buy elsewhere. Just in my experience :) (but everyone I speak to seems to hate dell too... maybe it's just over here?)
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    A quick update:

I need to know regards the GFX card it dont connect like a Network card does it connects into a bigger port and theres only one on my Motherboard Does anyone know what this slot is called?

AGP hopefully... pci is old school and i don't think anything but ancient/shit motherboards use it.

also, you tried looking at eclipse? superb shop, cheap as fook and quality kit.

http://www.eclipse-computers.com/

click 'diy systems' on the left. :thumb:
  • Options
    Also mixing types of RAM is a bad idea... But if you do at least make sure they rin at the same speed! Also if you put a 512 in with 2X 256 then you may encounter compatibilty problems and the sticks running at slower speeds.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Hard drive and Graphics card maybe?

Also... the 350 watt PSU... what sorta things you putting in this? How many case fans you intending to pop in... how many CD/DVD drives and Hard Disks?

I have a 480 watt that I want to upgrade to a 500... I have a DVD drive, DVDRW, two HDD's, four case fans and SLI'd GFX cards. Plus an Athlon 64bit processor... I should probably have a 500 or more, but my rig is extreme.

If you are making a standard PC with little extras... like, 1x Optical Drive, 1x HDD, basic components and GFX.. then you'd never need more than a standard PSU.

I think you are, so yes - the 350 watt should be fine. Hell, a 300 probably would be ok for you! :thumb:

Just to touch on the above Watts means nothing sometimes when it comes to power supplies - check the AMPs a lot of dodge PSU companies quote split second peake Watts not what they can maintain over some time.

Tagan make excellent PSU's - My latest PSu by a different company is fanless and totally silent
  • Options
    Just to touch on the above Watts means nothing sometimes when it comes to power supplies - check the AMPs a lot of dodge PSU companies quote split second peake Watts not what they can maintain over some time.

Tagan make excellent PSU's - My latest PSu by a different company is fanless and totally silent

Hiper are good... they are proper gaming PSU's, high rating all round - mine can do it... I just would feel safer getting more ya know. Plus it makes me ePenis bigger to have more power.

I know what ya mean man though. I got this QTEC one... 400watts - totally couldn't run my old P4 gaming rig, it used to shut off if I was playing BF:V online... but the old 300watter it came with... still ran it no probs!

Now it's got a 500 ;d
  • Options
    Yeh you need stable power on the 5v and 12v rails, thats the most important thing. Cheap supplys often have nasty power fluctuations on the rails which is not good!

I've got the Hiper Type-R same as teh_gerbil, very good unit and good for overclocking!
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Also mixing types of RAM is a bad idea... But if you do at least make sure they rin at the same speed! Also if you put a 512 in with 2X 256 then you may encounter compatibilty problems and the sticks running at slower speeds.

Yeah, all your RAM must be the same speed...a couple of months ago i upgraded the RAM in my PC, which came with a stick of PC2100. I put in a stick of PC3200 and the machine wouldn't boot at all with both installed, so i had to remove the slower RAM.