Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

State school bans 'chastity rings'

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Ever considered that reasoning might be total crap?
    Or not.

If one of the kids were to injure themselves, like...I was watching Airport the other day (shut up) and some guy almost cut his finger off, and they had to cut his wedding ring off because it was preventing blood reaching his finger. Necklaces can get caught on shit and strangle the person wearing it...etcetc.

This is, of course, also reasoning for not having blazers and ties, because of bunsen burners and all that electric tools and shit they have for D&T.
  • Options
    And also why trainers, flip flops and open toed shoes aren't allowed. Oh and earrings. And at one point my school was about to demand that all students with long hair had it tied back, all the time.

So when are they going to ban steps and paper then? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The whole "safety" thing makes me laugh, they'll be spouting that old chestnut until the cows come home. Of course, it is humanly possible that someone could catch a necklace or a ring and hurt themselves or a fellow student; but it's highly unlikely and it'll be a blistering day in hell before I buy that that's actually the real reason. It's just their official line, and shuts people up a hell of a lot more quickly than if they had to go into detail about their real motivation. PE teachers at my school were always the worst for enforcing that rule; all the while running about with a multitude of chains which could easily have become entangled with their beloved and oft-used whistle. Unfortunately none of them ever fell prey to that most dangerous form of rule-flouting ;)

With my thoughts about chastity aside, I've never really liked the prohibition of jewellery etc [and don't even like the policy of school uniforms] but I can see why it makes things a hell of a lot easier if it's all just banned, irrespective of its "meaning". I would definitely take the school's side, but the fact that it's a chastity ring and not an cubic zirconia from Warren James is pretty irrelevant to me.

With regard to the fact that it's a state school, I'm not sure how relevant that is with regard to chastity rings. I don't think they'd be allowed in a private or state church-run school, either. Though that said, your average necklace wasn't allowed in my secondary school but they were all for your wearing your crucifix -- and even gave us all one at the end of Year 9 to grant us "luck" or similar at the beginning of our GCSEs.
  • Options
    And at one point my school was about to demand that all students with long hair had it tied back, all the time.

We only had that rule in PE & science.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    We only had that rule in PE & science.
    In Science, for instance, that would make sense. I remember when I was 14, one of the girls in my class used a Bunsen Burner, and her hair caught fire. Not pleasant, and a lesson to us all!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    For this is not a fundamental attire of the Christian faith, and it certainly cannot be compared with Muslim girls wearing a headscarf- even though I would probably not want to see those in schools either.

Who says it's not fundamental for the Christian faith? I've no idea if it is or isn't but is it for non-Christians to judge what is and isn't important for Christians? I don't think so.

Why can't it be compared with Muslim girls wearing a headscarf? To some extent that is not a 'fundamental' of Islam, it's usually more of a cultural rather than religious thing...

A discreet ring, I really cannot see the problem tbh. I support school uniform but it's going too far when people are sent home for having a badge or a simple ring...
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    The whole "safety" thing makes me laugh, they'll be spouting that old chestnut until the cows come home. Of course, it is humanly possible that someone could catch a necklace or a ring and hurt themselves or a fellow student; but it's highly unlikely and it'll be a blistering day in hell before I buy that that's actually the real reason. It's just their official line, and shuts people up a hell of a lot more quickly than if they had to go into detail about their real motivation.
    But there's always the off chance, isn't there. And when there was that one kid that did strangle herself on her chain, her parents would be straight on the phone to their lawyers, suing the school for not having a jewellery ban in place.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    But there's always the off chance, isn't there. And when there was that one kid that did strangle herself on her chain, her parents would be straight on the phone to their lawyers, suing the school for not having a jewellery ban in place.
    Only lawyers benefit from this madness.
  • Options
    Well yeah, and I can see why some people would support rules that protect against every possibility of litigation and problems for the school (the other favourite they trot out against accessorising being theft). But it's just not something I can support, I don't think it's a particularly good environment for education - the banning of this and that is far more disruptive than the fact that someone's wearing a sovereign ring and of course is also drawing far more attention to the fact than the actual wearing of the ring. Both in terms of actually physically disrupting teaching as the person in question is reprimanded and more than likely has is confiscated... and also in being so utterly rigid and [literally] "uniform" that it becomes something that kids think about a lot more. I'm pretty sure that if schools relaxed their jewellery policies pupils would soon be bored of wearing the entire Argos catologue to school and it would become a total non-issue.

But I'm veering pretty far off the topic of chastity rings here. Or is the topic actually generic debate on school uniform policies? I'm not sure which part is actually being debated... ;)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Only lawyers benefit from this madness.
    But it happens, and the school have to prove that they do have the rules in place to prevent accidents so that they CAN'T be sued. They're responsible for everything that happens within the school grounds, so any accidents are effectively their responsibility, even if it was entirely the kid's fault. UNLESS there are rules in place saying the kid shouldn't have done it, in which case it is back to being the kid's fault. And no sue-age for the school.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Im in favour of school uniforms though i hated them myself at the time, i saw loads of kids get bullied badly when we had none uniform days and they dressed "wrong" or "Unique" or whatever.
    In my experience, certain kids at school got bullied no matter what. Things such as clothes or glasses are just used as a way of picking on someone, not the reason they are picked on in the first place, and bullies will always come up with a way of getting to them. Even as part of the uniform, there's still issues such as the brand of shoes you're wearing (Kickers are what the cool kids wear, by the way), football boots, bags and any manner of other things. My suspision is that the kids you talk about didn't get bullied solely on non-uniform day, it was just heightened because there were more opportunities than usual for the bullies to pick something out.
  • Options
    Who says it's not fundamental for the Christian faith? I've no idea if it is or isn't but is it for non-Christians to judge what is and isn't important for Christians? I don't think so.

Why can't it be compared with Muslim girls wearing a headscarf? To some extent that is not a 'fundamental' of Islam, it's usually more of a cultural rather than religious thing...

A discreet ring, I really cannot see the problem tbh. I support school uniform but it's going too far when people are sent home for having a badge or a simple ring...
    I personally don't see a problem with any jewellery. But if the school has a zero tolerance towards such items then I don't think these chastity rings should be excluded. A cross worn in a necklace might provide a better argument. But this chastity ring is a very recent idea deviced by a small group of chaps and not part of the Christian faith at large or of its doctrine.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Funny how not only 80%+ of those who take such pledge end up having sex before marriage, but fewer of them use contraceptives when they do than those who had not taken such pledges.
    I agree about the contreceptive issue, but on that 80%. How many people here (show of hands please), took their confirmation in church? And of these, how many are still practicing Christians?

I took my confirmation, and I haven't been to church in years, and actually disagree with a lot (read: most) of what the Catholic church has to say. That's what happens when you get children, who haven't had time to form their own opinions and views upon the world, to make lifelong pledges. Chances are at some point in the future, they are going to say, "actually, this isn't what I believe at all" and so they are going to break those pledges.
  • Options
    If rings are against school policy then she shouldn't be allowed to wear it. End of. It isn't a matter of life or anything. She can save her "I'm pure, I'm a virgin" symbol til after school hours.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    What children need is good education on the subject; good guidance to make help them make an informed choice.

Programming them into pledging not to have sex until they get married is quite different from preaching common sense and asking them not to have underage sex don't you think.

Incidentally, if there was a course by anyone programming children to have sex before marriage I'd be criticising it just the same.

Yes, but how do you know they haven't made an informed choice. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it wrong. They're fifteen years old, not five year olds.
  • Options
    I think it is unfair that they ban the silver ring thing when they allow other variations from uniform on religious grounds. The silver ring seems as valid as a headscarf or bangles as part of a religious or cultural identity; if they are going to ban one they should ban them all. I don't find the fact that the silver ring thing is a newer symbol reason to discount it either, as religions do grow/branch out and evolve to encorporate contemporary knowledge and common practice.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I think it is unfair that they ban the silver ring thing when they allow other variations from uniform on religious grounds. The silver ring seems as valid as a headscarf or bangles as part of a religious or cultural identity; if they are going to ban one they should ban them all. I don't find the fact that the silver ring thing is a newer symbol reason to discount it either, as religions do grow/branch out and evolve to encorporate contemporary knowledge and common practice.

But a ring is jewellery. If the girl was to wear he ring, then everyone else would do the same. at most schools (like mentioned earlier) have a no jewellery policy because of health & safety.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Yes, but how do you know they haven't made an informed choice. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it wrong. They're fifteen years old, not five year olds.
    They are unlikely to make an informed choice if they make it after attending a course that is 100% one-sided, entirely subjective and even prepared to pass myths and misconceptions as fact.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Incidentally, if there was a course by anyone programming children to have sex before marriage I'd be criticising it just the same.
    Don't you think that most of society is already providing those courses - from teen magazines to peers to TV?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    They are unlikely to make an informed choice if they make it after attending a course that is 100% one-sided, entirely subjective and even prepared to pass myths and misconceptions as fact.

Except as Kentish says unless they're wandering around with bags over their heads and their ears bunged up with chalk they are getting other views from different sources as well.
  • Options
    Well said.

Another sideline, surely wearing the ring at school is unnecessary, one would hope that she wasn't going to get any offers of action there!

I only ever wore mine to school when I had the rest of my jewellery on, was more of a going out thing.

My my how my life has changed. In answer to the lifelong pledge malarky I went and changed my mind on mine with some style but it did me good for a while.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Don't you think that most of society is already providing those courses - from teen magazines to peers to TV?
    No. No to the extent of "if you marry as a virgin your breasts will fall off or you will go to hell to suffer in eternal agony", no.

Not by a long shot.
  • Options
    Do you actually know anything about silver ring?

None of that features anywhere in the course at all.
  • Options
    We can only hope.

Given that the original 'course' in America (of which this is an import, so it remains to be seen how different it is) peddled repeated lies about the realibility of contraception and other such nonsense, I fear what might be being 'taught' to pupils.

Incidentally, why do you think fervently religious people object to sex before marriage, if not because it is a 'sin' and against the will of God? And what do these people tell us will happen to those who sin and disobey the will of God?
  • Options
    You clearly know nothing about christianity Aladdin. Christian's believe they are saved by the grace of God alone, and there there is nothing they will ever do or have ever done, that can change that. If they believe that Jesus Christ died for their sins then the are going to heaven.

What I am taught about sin, is that I shouldn't because it's not good for me, and that i shouldn't because it upsets God. Upsets God like cheating on my husband would upset my husband, in fact in the bible adultery is used as an analogy for sin.
  • Options
    It is worth adding for the record that the only 100% reliable form of contraception IS abstinence.

Condoms are good but not perfect, this is undisputed even by the manufacturers.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You clearly know nothing about christianity Aladdin. Christian's believe they are saved by the grace of God alone, and there there is nothing they will ever do or have ever done, that can change that. If they believe that Jesus Christ died for their sins then the are going to heaven.

What I am taught about sin, is that I shouldn't because it's not good for me, and that i shouldn't because it upsets God. Upsets God like cheating on my husband would upset my husband, in fact in the bible adultery is used as an analogy for sin.
    You clearly know nothing about the many different branches of Christianity Fiend, and what some of them preach.

Now I'm not necessarily saying the people behind this course are amongst them (I haven't been so I can't tell) but I hope you're not denying there are many preachers out there, especially in the US, who are targetting children and adults alike and claiming such people as ''fornicators'' and ''f*ggots'' will burn in hell (regardless of whether they're christians or not).
  • Options
    It is worth adding for the record that the only 100% reliable form of contraception IS abstinence.

Condoms are good but not perfect, this is undisputed even by the manufacturers.
    However they are extremely reliable- infinitely more than the people behind the ring courses in America are claiming.
  • Options
    Hmm read about this the other day and am not sure.

On the one hand, why are they not allowed to wear them? At my school in years 10 and 11 you were allowed to wear one discreet ring.

Rules are there for a reason but teachers are allowed to wear what they want, within reason. Schools can be very petty.

But then if you have a belief, why do you need to wear a ring to advertise it? I would have thought chastity was a personal vow, you don't need to tell the world about it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    there are many preachers out there, especially in the US, who are targetting children and adults alike and claiming such people as ''fornicators'' and ''f*ggots'' will burn in hell (regardless of whether they're christians or not).

This is hardly unique to Christianity.