Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hawking: Colonise Mars to survive

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Link
Humans could have a permanent base on the Moon in 20 years and a colony on Mars in the next 40 years, the British scientist told a news conference in Hong Kong on Tuesday.

"We won't find anywhere as nice as Earth unless we go to another star system," Hawking said.

"Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers we have not yet thought of."

Well... if he says it... thats from a good source. I have often thought this to be the only was we will survive unless we find some way to reverse global warming... but quite this soon? Worrying really... but our planet is getting very close to being entirley spent. We may have to go somewhere close up until intergalactic travel is fesable. But is it REALLY realistic to say Mars? I mean... that'd be highly difficult to do sucessfully. The complications and chances for something to go wrong are ENORMOUS.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its a nice idea and will probably be possible one day
    Wouldnt it cost a huge amount, isnt it going to be many years before its possible, it seems a bit science fiction at the monent especialy considering the cost of getting things into orbit.

What we need is a space elevator
  • Options
    If we could develop the technology to send people to galaxies far, far away then I'm sure we could figure out how to use the Earth more efficiently.

Fascinating though his suggestion is, I have zero interest in living in an artificially created colony on Mars.
  • Options
    We'll never be able to colonise Mars. There just isn't the resources there, we'd have to ship them from earth and that would cause more problems than it would solve, unless we could somehow create a dome that had an earth like atmosphere and a sun like source of light for vegetation to grow. Such a place is hundreds, not tens of years away.
  • Options
    a colony on mars and or the moon would support a few dozen people at the most.
    what did they discover when they started sending men into space ...that theres no where to go!
    so for the last forty years ...we have gone up ...gone round and round ...and come back down again.
    all the other planets are either dead or out of reach.
    it's sad when such a great mind churns out shite like this .
  • Options
    it's sad when such a great mind churns out shite like this .

On what evidence do you evaluate his mind as "great" ?

Hawking has been on record, "churning out shite like this" for some years.
  • Options
    He's absolutely right to say we should colonise other planets. It's the only way humanity would be guaranteed to avoid extinction but I strongly doubt we will even have a colony on the Moon within 40 years let alone Mars. I believe the technology to set up small colonies is there but the willpower and investment isn't and tbh there are far better things to be doing with that willpower and investment at the moment.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    He's absolutely right to say we should colonise other planets.
    where are these other planets?
  • Options
    where are these other planets?

I should've said moons as well. Plenty of possible locations around Jupiter and Saturn.

Mars for one could be terraformed and is the obvious place to start other than the moon. Parts of Mercury. Venus could theoretically be terraformed. Once the technology is there I'm sure we will find terrestrial planets and moons around other stars.

All theory for now though and I accept that.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    I should've said moons as well. Plenty of possible locations around Jupiter and Saturn.

Mars for one could be terraformed and is the obvious place to start other than the moon. Parts of Mercury. Venus could theoretically be terraformed. Once the technology is there I'm sure we will find terrestrial planets and moons around other stars.

terraforming sounds good in theory ...but we have right now ...conditions way beyond those of a dusty and sterile rock of a moon ...and we don't know how to build on that!
  • Options
    I'ts preferable ,simpler and cheaper just to clean our act up,rather than accept our own self-destruction.technology will move on but let's keep our feet on the ground (metaphorically and physically) John.
  • Options
    johnnny wrote:
    I'ts preferable ,simpler and cheaper just to clean our act up,rather than accept our own self-destruction.technology will move on but let's keep our feet on the ground (metaphorically and physically) John.
    thats how i see it ...what would you rather work with ...this ...

landscapes2tf.gif
  • Options
    oops
  • Options
  • Options
    or this!

mars2hs.jpg
  • Options
    the end of the earth is near. you and i will be dead before then so who cares.
  • Options
    thats how i see it ...what would you rather work with ...this ...

or this ...
    landscapes2tf.gif
    well illustrated. I think that should close that debate.But we all have a part to play in changing things. John
  • Options
    Iron Nic wrote:
    the end of the earth is near. .
    which end and why?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I think there will have to be some kind of leap in technology before we can really venture into space. .
    thats an understatement!
    our own galaxy is one hundred thousand light years across.
    seeing as we are out on the edge of it ...it would take one hundred thousand years to get to the other side traveling at the speed os light ...and this is just a small galaxy.
    wich way would you point your rocket?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I reckon light speed will be possible one day. When we've got out head around quantum mechanics and non-locality a bit more maybe. There's something there just waiting to be discovered.
    and in the meanwhile ...we have a beautiful planet.
    teeming with life in endless variety.
    plants and insects busy creating and cleaning our atmosphere.
    food that grows in the dirt and swims in the rivers.
    so ...in ex ammount of years we may or may not be able to travel at the speed of light ...which way do you point your rocket ...with a dozen humans a box of plants a few insects and a crate of beer?
  • Options
    Interesting idea from Hawking. The only problem is finding the (probably) trillions of pounds of money that would be needed to colonise Mars.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Interesting idea from Hawking. The only problem is finding the (probably) trillions of pounds of money that would be needed to colonise Mars.

That ISN'T an issue mate, when Humanity's survival is on the line. Money doesn't, and has never mattered except superficially. If it did... the War in Iraq would be over. Go take a look at the US federal reserve... really, do it please. I can't remember the exact figure, but I think it is so far in the Red... (And they are buying new expensive Fighter Jets... the F-22) that in all fesability the US Government should have collapsed. Money doesn't mean shit. They're spending money they don't have just like the Russian Government is. And neither cares... I think the Russians just actually wrote off Billions of Dollars of debt they had the help themselves get back up.

Because at the end of the day it is just a number. Knock a few 0's off. Who cares?
  • Options
    comment on nuclear war being a real possibility.

i think he's discredited himself there slightly. there'll never be nuclear war no chance, provided america pipes down on iran.

no nuclear war for anyone not for anything. no cause is worth mutually assured destruction.
  • Options
    comment on nuclear war being a real possibility.

i think he's discredited himself there slightly. there'll never be nuclear war no chance, provided america pipes down on iran.

no nuclear war for anyone not for anything. no cause is worth mutually assured destruction.

Don't kid yourself! You have no idea how close the US government was to nuking Vietnam when that war was on. About the time of the Battle for Hue... they nearly nuked it when no progress was being made!

They might well still nuke somewhere else. Iran maybe...

And we invaded Iraq instead of stopping North Korea getting nukes (Daft Idea) and Israel has said it may well use Nukes against Iran. And of course... Pakistan and India have nukes and dislike each other.
  • Options
    there'll never be nuclear war no chance, provided
    i'm begining to think you have a very limited understanding of humankind.
    especialy humans who are cornered or simply don't give a toss.
    of course nuclear fucking war is a very real possibility.
  • Options
    I agree with him.

Colonising another planet is pretty much the only chance the human race has for survival long term. Sure it wont be as pretty as Earth - Hawkings even said that to find somewhere as nice as earth, wed need to go to another star system.
    I dont think it will happen in my lifetime, but if they go people up there and bred there, then maybe several generations time another solar system can be reached and another better planet found.
    I dont see any other solution really, unless people think its not worth it because theyre too selfish to see a point in working for something theyre not gonna live to see
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:

You would never see anywhere close to Jupiter terraformed as the radiation and gravity is way to intense to support human life! Radiation, UV and heat would be to much on Mercury and Venus also..

The only suitable places are the Moon and Mars and mayve some asteroids.
  • Options
    Yes, colonising Mars might work, but what will we get out of it? I'm sure not a lot of people would want to live in an artificial world - I know for sure I wouldn't want to. Imagine how your life would be on Mars. Pretty fun, eh. We would never be able to build up the civilisation we have today with contemporary science - we just haven't gone far enough in technological advancement, I'm afraid.

It would be cool though, living on Mars. :lol: Don't even think of grabbing this spot - it's mine!

vlpan22.jpg

Maybe as a last option when humans are forced to leave because of the destruction of the planet ...
  • Options
    id rather live in an artificial world than have nothing and just die along with the rest of the planet. I think its worth a try, although attempting to save this planet is a much better option. Maybe attempt both?
  • Options
    but there nowhere to go!
  • Options
    currently