Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Young people change the world!

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Are looking to do be inviolved in something inspirational this summer? Would you like to meet other young people from all over the world?

The deadline for applications to the Voices for Change 2006 International Summer School is fast approaching. There are still some places remaining - applications must be made by 30th May. Here are the details:

The Voices for Change International Summer School is taking place in Wales
(UK) from 15th-21st August 2006. The school will see 150 young people from Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas converge in Europe's only sustainable conference centre to share skills, build new networks, and learn about a wide variety of themes and methods of putting their ideas into practice.

The School is structured around a series of themed workshops on 'Environment and Climate Change', 'Peace and Conflict', 'Health as a Social Issue', 'Refugees, Asylum and Migration', 'Trade Justice and International Trade Laws', and 'Minorities, Ethnicity and Religion'.

Skills workshops will range from negotiating to fundraising, from creative and colourful campaigning to working with disabilities, from street theatre to youth participation in government structures. The age-range is from 16 to 25 years and we welcome all levels and types of experience.

For further information please don't hesitate to contact Rachel Laurence, the co-ordinator, on rachel.laurence@change-the-world.net or on +44 207 841 8959.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oooooooh
    What is it going to cost us?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    What is it going to cost us?

I'm guessing travel costs - so if you're living far away then that could be a fair bit. The best thing to do is to email the address at the bottom to find out.
    I'd LOVE to go... I really would... But I will probably have to work all summer.
    I'd like to go but it costs £250 not including travel, to sleep in a tent. I think that would price a lot of people out of it, why does it have to cost so much?
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I'd like to go but it costs £250 not including travel, to sleep in a tent. I think that would price a lot of people out of it, why does it have to cost so much?

Oh ok, sorry I should have checked that!

I guess because it's a skills based thing - they're teaching you new skills which requires trainers and speakers etc who need to be paid. It also probably covers the hire of anywhere they've got for it. To be honest, conferences generally are well expensive - sometimes £150 just for a day thing, and this is 7. They probably also provide food (I'd blimmi hope so!) but yes it is quite a lot - a unique experience though.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    £250... How the hell are people in countries with poorer economies gonna afford that?
    £250... How the hell are people in countries with poorer economies gonna afford that?

No doubt another reason for it being £250 - to help subsidise the attendance of people from poorer countries (Possibly including their flights?) I don't know this for sure - just seems likely. I know that when I worked for YMCA the better off families paid more to subsidise the less well off.
    **Helen** wrote:
    No doubt another reason for it being £250 - to help subsidise the attendance of people from poorer countries (Possibly including their flights?) I don't know this for sure - just seems likely. I know that when I worked for YMCA the better off families paid more to subsidise the less well off.
    What about people from poorer backgrounds here?

Or should the thread be "young middle class people change the world"?

I hate the way that only young middle class (usually only English too) people can change the world these days...

they can hardly do it for free though can they!