Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

addicted to pot ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How many days out of the year would I have to smoke pot before you would say I was addicted ? If I get stoned say 30 days total in a year , would you say I'm addicted ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    30 days? Fuckin hell im stoned most days and i wouldnt say im addicted. Cant really get addicted anyways. Only in y0ur head and that's easy enough to get over.
    If its interfering with your life in any way then you may have a problem. If not, then I wouldn't worry.
    Only in y0ur head and that's easy enough to get over.

The psychological component of dependence (a better word than addiction) is actually the hardest bit.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It may be of interest for you to have a look at the Know Cannabis website, they have a really useful interactive tool to assess your cannabis use and its impact on your life.
    LadyJade wrote:
    It may be of interest for you to have a look at the Know Cannabis website, they have a really useful interactive tool to assess your cannabis use and its impact on your life.

cool quiz , I was a 3 , low risk . I think it's an obvious attmept by my g/f because she's now in therapy for alcoholism for drinking daily for the last 10 - 15 years and all of a sudden now she's claiming I have a problem too . I get drunk a handful of times a year but prefer pot seasonaly , mostly in ski season then just once in a blue moon for the rest of the year . I think she's being immature and it's tit for tat .
    pot sux
    I was just about to ask this question, i dont normally post in drugs section because i dont use any myself, but my friends do.

I was going to ask, if i might now in this thread, has anyone you ever met ever become addicted to smoking pot? I mean really addicted to a point where even when they are older, married still do it and, in the case of women, cant even quit when they are pregnant?

It is just a friend of mine is a 17 year old girl and she recently realised she was getting hooked on smoking after i pointed out she started buying her own cigs. Basically she said she never bought them she only smoked when she was offered so she couldnt get addicted from so few, then she bought some and i pointed it out and she was freaked she hadnt noticed.

Now she has started buying her own pot and is worried if she doesnt quit now, or at least ease off, she will be stuck on it and it will affect her chances of getting in to university and then work after that.

I said its not that big a deal though it has some health risks obviosuly.
    even if someone knows someone whos been that addicted.. what has that got to do with your friend? just because it happened to someone else doesnt mean it will happen to her

i personally wish i never bothered with the stuff .. but theres plenty of people who can smoke it without any problems .. its down to her as a person i guess!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Your score is: 11

I know am I fine though. I just enjoy it... meh.

You can get to feel depandant on it though, but it should be apparent once that begins to happen. Just fight the urge and lay off it for a while if it gets that way.
    Your score is: 8

I'm fine when I'm sober, but after a couple of pints I get some serious cravings.
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    My score is 18.

I still think that i can pack it in when i want, i think it becomes more of a habit over time which makes it hard.
    subject13 wrote:
    I was going to ask, if i might now in this thread, has anyone you ever met ever become addicted to smoking pot? I mean really addicted to a point where even when they are older, married still do it and, in the case of women, cant even quit when they are pregnant?

Yup. I know a couple of people who are/have been addicted to pot. I also know one lady who smoked weed through her pregnancy, though less a case of "can't quit" and more a case of "didn't want to quit".
    when you get to a point you think you need it and cant go without it for a while....
    I sometimes worry I smoke too much. If I have it I smoke everyday, but I don't really crave it as such.
    aleox wrote:
    I sometimes worry I smoke too much. If I have it I smoke everyday, but I don't really crave it as such.

Aye, I am the same. If I have some, I smoke it. If I don't, I don't care - but if I have the chance to get some and the money... yay!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Aye, I am the same. If I have some, I smoke it. If I don't, I don't care - but if I have the chance to get some and the money... yay!

Hehe you sound like my perfect smoking buddy :D
    aleox wrote:
    Hehe you sound like my perfect smoking buddy :D

What ya doin saturday? :D
    i definitely crave it more in the summer, down the park on a sunny day with a spliff, football, few mates and a few beers.......just can't beat it.
    well, if you smoke it every single day your brain forgets how to go to sleep by itself (ok i was an insomniac before then) so you need it to sleep. you can get over this very quickly though, i have several times.

but to whoever is asking: yes you can most certainly be addicted to weed. i have been for 4 years and for the past year have known its shit and i should stop but you just get to a certain point in every evening where its doobie time and off you go. i am aware that its the fact it puts me to sleep that i like about it. so yeah psychologically it is very addictive, especially if you have sleep and tiredness issues.

and dont let any stoners convince themselvres theyre cool either, sitting in all night every night bitching about the pillheads in the clubs, whos having more fun guys really?
    Pillheads by far. I usually find the people that bitch have never tried it, so they don't understand.

I think I got psychologically addicted to it a couple of years ago. When I was bored and didn't have any money I'd just and get stoned. I bought an ounce just before I lost my job and had nothing else to do except sit and smoke. It got to the point where I started craving a joint really bad when I was on my own.

So yeah, I think it's possible to get psychologically addicted but 30 days in a year is nothing really. You're more likely to get addicted to the tobacco.
    who says you can't be a pillhead and a weedhead........?
    you can be both, but i think once you have more than one drug of preference its easier to say your a wreckhead.
    everything in moderation is the key, i was doing pills coke booze weed and mushrooms at one point, having a damn good time and i still came out with a degree at the end of it lol.......

ETA: i'm not recommending this as a course of action btw. lol. i'm having a damn good time solely on booze these days :)
    i've been thinking about this since this post has popped up and i personally think you can be addicted to weed, hash etc i think i am but too chicken to admit and kick the habit, i feel so different when im "normal" and trying to sleep when i havn't smoked anything is difficult apart from if im drunk, also all my mates smoke it as well so i can't avoid it, but if im having a bad day or stressed or sometimes even having a good day i feel the need to smoke a j to chill and forget about the shit in the day or to calm my self down. I personally think weed is a very hard drug to give up dunno bout any one else but thats my reply lol. and that cannabis site said my rating is 24 ! and my drug use is seriously out of hand ! lol state the obvious ! lol think it is all about kicking the habit but am i ready ? who knows ! lol :no:
    I'm at that point again where I can just take it or leave it now unless I've had a couple of drinks, then the want for a joint increases tenfold. Also if I buy a 10 or something and I know it's in my house I'll smoke it just for the hell of it..

I think my "addictive" points on weed stem from boredom (unless I'm drunk), because when I'm chatting to someone or occupied then weed is the last thing on my mind.

From now on I'm going to try and smoke only on weekends, although thats hard when you know all your mates are going out for a smoke in the week and invite you.
    Fuck I am caned. Smoked a baggie totday.. all of it. Amoung like a couple of us people except hte last joint was 4... and I had a few drinks so yeah.

Pot rocks dudesssss probably not have any for a few weeks now like. Let my tolerance fall so I can get caaned off less.

RAH GUYS.... take care ya'll.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Fuck I am caned. Smoked a baggie totday.. all of it. Amoung like a couple of us people except hte last joint was 4... and I had a few drinks so yeah.

Pot rocks dudesssss probably not have any for a few weeks now like. Let my tolerance fall so I can get caaned off less.

RAH GUYS.... take care ya'll.

No Doubt in my .... ahem younger days I was addicted to pot and smoked everyday . But as they say too much of a good thing is no good . I stopped for a very long time and realized there was life after pot . I wasn't even getting the good high anymore , I needed it in the morning , after lunch , before bedtime , it was getting rediculous and expensive and I was becoming antisocial . Now for some reason , In the last few years as I matured , I realized I actually do now have the ability to stop . I can smoke let's say over a weekend , and even at that small amount I can feel the magnetic pull trying to attract me back to it . But I stop myself and go weeks and months in between now . I enjoy the occasional high better and I like the fact that I have the control . So far it's beena few years like this and so far so good . YMMV
    I smoke it every day and have done for basically the last 8yrs, with little stints of not smoking it in between. I wouldn't say I was addicted to it in any way, I like a bifta with my mates, I like a bifta to relax after work. I see it in the same way as some people like to go home and have a beer or a glass of wine with the tea, i like to light up a bifta.

As for sleeping, I can't sleep if I have a joint before I go to bed, my head is thinking too much to get to sleep so I definately don't use it as a way to get to sleep.

I think your more likely to think your addicted to the stuff if you don't smoke cigs aswell because its the nicotine that you're craving. I'm a cig smoker as well so this doesn't affect me but I have a couple of mates who have started lighting cigs up at work to get rid of the supposed cravings of biftas. I also know someone who won't listen to me when i tell them its the cigs their addicted to - children eh :p
    kasia wrote:
    and dont let any stoners convince themselvres theyre cool either, sitting in all night every night bitching about the pillheads in the clubs, whos having more fun guys really?

You must know some fucking lame stoners.
    Spliffie wrote:
    You must know some fucking lame stoners.

well i was just goin by my own personal experiences. i have a much better time going out than sittin on my arse watchin crap and not even talkin to the people im with. maybe i just have more fun goin out cos weed has become so mundane for me. or maybe me and my entire social group are all genuinely lame. its easily possible.