Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Unhealthy to re-use water bottles?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've heard its unhealthy, why?

That said, i did it 3 times this week, and when I drank some water today it tasted like petrol....

My thought of the day.

Comments

• Options
    According to an article I read in Glamour magazine it's because the poly somethings in the plastic of the bottle leak into the water when the water is stored in there over any length of time, or through reusing the bottle. I use bottles more than once and I'm still not dead!

Although saying that, this is the same article that slagged off bottled water and said how bad it was for you, but on the subject of tap water said that "It's ok to drink it if there really is no alternative". What else IS there?!
  • Options
    That's silly. Bottled water is better for you than tap water. I discovered this when I was watching 8 Group 4 presentations today. Two of them found out that bottled water has more minerals and less bacteria.
  • Options
    There's a lot of debate about it at the moment I think, because of the bottles. Also water that's been stored for ages can't be good and it does go stale if you keep it for too long.
  • Options
    Well, yeh, I know THAT. I had a bottle of water sat by my bed when I was ill for WEEKS and when I stopped being ill and forgot to throw it away, I woke up thirsty one night, had some, and it was horrible.

I dunno about the bottles thing though.
  • Options
    not sure how true it is but i've been told tapwater has been 'through' 7 people on average before it reaches your tap, so i would've thought bottled water was a bit fresher if nothing else......i'm still drinking tapwater until my filters run out then i'm switching to bottled, i re-use the same bottle everytime i go swimming though and it hasn't killed me, i'm more worried about all the pollution in this damn city tbh, like when i take a deep breath as the bus goes past and inhale a lungful of london bus exhaust fumes, nice.......
  • Options
    We have far better bottled water than loads of other countries, we should be grateful for what we have tbh.

ETA I meant tap water, not bottled :o
  • Options
    According to an article I read in Glamour magazine it's because the poly somethings in the plastic of the bottle leak into the water when the water is stored in there over any length of time, or through reusing the bottle. I use bottles more than once and I'm still not dead!

Although saying that, this is the same article that slagged off bottled water and said how bad it was for you, but on the subject of tap water said that "It's ok to drink it if there really is no alternative". What else IS there?!

I remember Ed told me (I hope he didn't read it in Glamour too :p) the same thing. The most your supposed to reuse a bottle is like 7 times or something before the bottle starts going bad.

I always reuse water bottles, but only a few times, because mine always start to have a funny smell on the mouth piece after a few days. Hmmm... that makes me sound like I have a very unhygenic and flat out gross mouth :p

And as far as bottled water go, Evian :thumb: That aquifina and the one that coke does taste like absolute shit.
    Though I find the water from my fridge to be very plesent indeed. It has a brita filter inside :yes:
  • Options
    We have far better bottled water than loads of other countries, we should be grateful for what we have tbh.
    We also have infinitely better tap water than other countries.

When my dad lived in Tanzania, we had to brush our teeth with bottled water. In Kenya he lets us use the tap to brush our teeth, but that's IT.
  • Options
    Whoops, I meant tap water! :blush: *edits*
  • Options
    Ahahahaha TOO LATE NOW MISSY.
  • Options
    :p you ho-bag!

(ooh wow - you know the 30 second posting rule? Now it tells you how many seconds you have to wait until you can post again! :hyper:)
  • Options
    OMGOSH...that's new :D.
  • Options
    Dead exciting.
  • Options
    Innit mate :D.
  • Options
    I wonder if it does it for PMs as well? :chin:
  • Options
    You're gonna go test now, aren't you :p?
  • Options
    No! I've got no-one to PM
  • Options
    The tap water where I live at home (Fermanagh, Northern Ireland) is more or less like bottled water. It's yum. When in Belfast, or when I'm at uni in Edinburgh, the tap water is horrible and I have to buy bottled, because I can't drink it. Good job tesco have good deals on bottled stuff.
  • Options
    this thread has prompted me to read a few articles and I am only going to use my bottle once now. I normally buy a water bottle on the Monday and re-fill it from the water machine at work. Normally keep it for a few days. Sometimes I keep it for a week!!!! :no:
  • Options
    Maybe the glass bottles are the way forward, being recyclable and less likely to leach plasticky crap into the water. :chin:

Still, tap water does for me. A few more bacteria and a few less minerals maybe, but it hasn't killed me yet.
  • Options
    everythings bad for you these days :p theres always some report out saying something is bad for you
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The tap water at home in the Highlands is just lush. It's so yummy :D

The tap water here is alright but if you put it in the fridge is is nice cold.

I refuse to pay 90p for a 500ml bottle of water when I can just get it from my tap. I'll only do that if I forget to bring some water with me. I also refill my water bottles for school / uni etc as it is cheaper. I *do* change the water every day though, so it is fresh, mind.

I personally don't see the difference in taste.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    this thread has prompted me to read a few articles and I am only going to use my bottle once now. I normally buy a water bottle on the Monday and re-fill it from the water machine at work. Normally keep it for a few days. Sometimes I keep it for a week!!!! :no:

it ain't gonna kill you though!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No! I've got no-one to PM

Plus you'd use a punctuation mark as a title.

Erm, reusing bottles... who cares? Works fine fer me. I ain't dead.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:

Muppet!

How long is water sitting in the bottle after production, and before you purchase it? My water bottle is now over a year old. It was an Asda Eden Falls bottle or something - all that happens is the more you use it, the more bacteria accumulates inside the bottle. You get black gunk around the neck of the bottle, and where your lips touch it.

Just bloody wash it off! Do you think these people on pushbikes change their water bottle each day, or week?

Tap water in the UK is generally very good. Some of it tastes horrible though. But even when it doesn't taste lovely, it isn't going to actually hurt you to drink it.

Water in Stafford is really good. I drink a good couple of litres each day, along with 2.272 litres of milk, and some fruit juice. :)
  • Options
    Tap water is so so so so so so much better. Ice cold, yum! It wouldn't cross my mind to buy bottled stillwater when in Iceland. But I do drink quite a bit of sparkling. Re-use the bottles for tapwater again and again and again and I'm still very much alive.
  • Options
    2.272 litres of milk
    You and your bloody milk! ;)
  • Options
    You're just jealous that I don't give you any of my milk :p.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    You're just jealous that I don't give you any of my milk :p.

Breast milk? Surley... thats unatural!
  • Options
    If I could get 2.272 litres of breast milk daily, I'd be scarily wealthy by now ;).