Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

should we have politically based schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
like say a school for kids of people into their communism, or say into their free markets stuff, or into their 'what can i do to make you vote for me' nu labour style

obviously they cant teach only that, but it would be in the school ethos.....

anyway my point being, if you don't agree, you're saying we should stop funding religious schools

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bad idea IMO. Children should be taught impartially about all those systems, rather than be programmed to embrace any of them.

Things are ugly enough as it is with far too many people people embracing free market thatcherism and its culture of greed and selfishness- imagine if we encouraged them to be like that since childhood.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Bad idea IMO. Children should be taught impartially about all those systems, rather than be programmed to embrace any of them.

Things are ugly enough as it is with far too many people people embracing free market thatcherism and its culture of greed and selfishness- imagine if we encouraged them to be like that since childhood.

Very true and very worrying. Teaching them into it... (despite the fact the Education system does pretty much indocrinate you to capitalism as it is anyway)... if it was more accepted... it'd be terrible. Fascist schools!:shocking:
    "Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed."
    We should remember this and live by it. Education is a weapon... we should make it an impartial one and let children form their own ideas.
    Why do you think national education is control by the government anyway...
    Control... Control... Control...
    Aladdin wrote:

im making a point about state funded religious schools ;)
    Can you give me an example of a state funded religious school? I'm a bit confused about what you mean, the primary school I went to was called a Church of England school, but as far as I remember the only thing vaguely religious about it was that we sung a few songs that mentioned God and Jesus, and had to do a harvest festival every year.
    My school actively promoted and taught a Catholic ethos to us. Of course no one gave two shits what they were saying!
    turlough wrote:
    My school actively promoted and taught a Catholic ethos to us. Of course no one gave two shits what they were saying!

up the GAA :thumb:
    up the GAA :thumb:

:lol:

Abbey scum! ;)
    religious schools are indoctrination,
    kids should be taught about all religions inc, atheism and also all spectrums of politics and left to decide of their own accord!
    Aladdin wrote:
    "Thatcher's Children" was coined to describe England's economically conservative young people. The Adam Smith Institute polled British youth that were between the ages of 16 and 21 at the turn of the millennium. According to Grover Norquist in the May 1999 issue of American Spectator, 48 percent of British respondents declared a desire to own a business, while only 1 percent admitted a desire to work in local government or civil service. While only 7 percent of young Britons say that a background of privilege is the measure of success, 72 percent say that individual determination is essential. Clearly, Margaret Thatcher's drive for deregulation, lower taxes and smaller government paid off in the political and economic views of young Brits.
    WND

I just hope the damage Brown has done since is not irreversible.

Although I wouldn't want 'politically based schools.' Capitalism and good, free market values will naturally prevail in a civilised society.
    religious schools are indoctrination,
    kids should be taught about all religions inc, atheism and also all spectrums of politics and left to decide of their own accord!

Indoctrination of what? As long as they aren't teaching kids to go out and murder everyone then I don't think anyone has a right to say they shouldn't exist. Though I do believe it should be the pupil's desicion, not the parent's whether they should go to a religious school or not.
    turlough wrote:
    Indoctrination of what? As long as they aren't teaching kids to go out and murder everyone then I don't think anyone has a right to say they shouldn't exist. Though I do believe it should be the pupil's desicion, not the parent's whether they should go to a religious school or not.

I'd agree. I guess part of it is in some places the religious schools are better than schools without a religious association. (As I think Trevor Phillips has said, unfortunately for a lot of children in London and in particular black children unless they go to a private school or a religious school statistically they're unlikely to do well). However, that said in a lot of areas religious schools will end up bringing about segregation - if there's a Muslim school and a Catholic school Muslims are unlikely to go to the latter and Christians aren't going to go to the Muslim school. That's happened already in some places and in the long term it can't be good.
    EVERY school I have experienced has been politically based,so this seems like a strange question.
    Very bad idea. Education should be impartial and all political spectrums should be taught but not at an early age either. It would be stupid to teach young kids about communism or capitalism or facism at the age of 5. Infact it would be impossible.

They should be touched on in these so called citizenship lessons.

Imagine though... a school for the promotion of communism. I wonder what they would teach them? The oppression of the Russians? The failure of cumminusm? Or amount of people China has killed due to them being sympathetic to communism?

I disagree with both religious and poilitical schools. Education should be a place to learn about both not to brainwash kids into believeing one over the other.
    Can you give me an example of a state funded religious school? I'm a bit confused about what you mean, the primary school I went to was called a Church of England school, but as far as I remember the only thing vaguely religious about it was that we sung a few songs that mentioned God and Jesus, and had to do a harvest festival every year.
    http://www.redbridge.gov.uk/learning/primary.cfm

so you're saying for example that those 2 jewish schools, or roman catholic schools dont eixst or or are state funded
    I'd agree. I guess part of it is in some places the religious schools are better than schools without a religious association. (As I think Trevor Phillips has said, unfortunately for a lot of children in London and in particular black children unless they go to a private school or a religious school statistically they're unlikely to do well). However, that said in a lot of areas religious schools will end up bringing about segregation - if there's a Muslim school and a Catholic school Muslims are unlikely to go to the latter and Christians aren't going to go to the Muslim school. That's happened already in some places and in the long term it can't be good.

yeah but that just shows the failings of inner city schools which are pushing kids into private and religious schools, not that they are actually better for the pupil its just the alternative is failing and should be changed!
    also private and religious schools do cause segregation, school rivalries spiral into racism, if you in your white school see a muslim school across the road you are far less likely to understand them and if they have better facilities it just turns into spite then racism, its human pysche!

if your at a religious school you are taught that religions rule laws and stories, so this has to have an affect on some children causing them to be braught up to think in that way, when really they should be offered all religions so then they can develope their own ideas not get one religion drilled into them from the age of 5 to 16 or 18, 5-6 days a week, and your saying that that has no affect on a child!
    WND

I just hope the damage Brown has done since is not irreversible.

Although I wouldn't want 'politically based schools.' Capitalism and good, free market values will naturally prevail in a civilised society.
    On the contrary: any society that is by definition 'civilised' has to be fair. And a free-market society can never be fair.
    Aladdin wrote:
    any society that is by definition 'civilised' has to be fair. And a free-market society can never be fair.

Yeah, go fairtrade!
    Yeah, go fairtrade!

go money making scam

it is possible to have generally free trade, whilst having everyone having equal rights, responsibilities

its called good regulation and promotion of small business, whilst punishining those who get above their station and try to corrupt the democratic process

and back to orginal post, schools run by political parties instead of relgious organisations

i think its stupid, but i think religiously run schools are equally bad for society
    Wow... You could have BNP schools where part of the uniform is to shave your head, white kids only and you have to walk around with your knuckles dragging on the floor. :)
    Wow... You could have BNP schools where part of the uniform is to shave your head, white kids only and you have to walk around with your knuckles dragging on the floor. :)

would be funny, would be some proper hardcore school rivalry then :p black panther school vs bnp school haha
    go money making scam

it is possible to have generally free trade, whilst having everyone having equal rights, responsibilities

its called good regulation and promotion of small business, whilst punishining those who get above their station and try to corrupt the democratic process

and back to orginal post, schools run by political parties instead of relgious organisations

i think its stupid, but i think religiously run schools are equally bad for society
    Yeah but in the real world, free-trade doesn't benefit people in other countries as much as fair trade.
    go money making scam

thats rubbish free trade is designed to keep the corporations at the top and the poorest at the bottom, idiot, the capitalist system is based on keeping overheads to a minimum eg wages with low wages you can control the work force and force them into longer hours eg 14hr days, and how does that help them. the currently regulations are too relaxed and arent properly inforced by corruption and back handers in the poorest of nations
    fairtrade allows the worker to get a fair wage and a premium that the community can spend on anything eg a clean water supply or schools, so Fairtrade make a huge impact,
    yes sum supermarkets are charging a bigger profit ,margin on fairtrade products so go buy them elsewhere eg coop and oxfam
    fairtrade helps massively!
    http://www.redbridge.gov.uk/learning/primary.cfm

so you're saying for example that those 2 jewish schools, or roman catholic schools dont eixst or or are state funded

Sorry, what?

I wasn't questioning the existance of faith schools, just asking for some examples of them so I could contribute to the debate. I didn't know whether you meant schools like my primary school, which is Church of England by name but isn't influenced much by the church apart from a harvest festival and singing hymns that mentioned God, or schools that are influenced strongly by religious views.

Oh and although in that link it states that there are faith schools in that area, there aren't any links to their webpages or further information about that so you haven't really helped me at all.
    it would be like having houses at school

pity the kid that got put in the lib dems
    Yeah but in the real world, free-trade doesn't benefit people in other countries as much as fair trade.

we don't have free trade though, the amount of people we force out of their livelihoods due to protectionist policies is loads, and so does subisdising food made in EU

i dont think free trade works personally but the way we have it at the moment is worse imo than any other way of doing things
    we don't have free trade though, the amount of people we force out of their livelihoods due to protectionist policies is loads, and so does subisdising food made in EU

i dont think free trade works personally but the way we have it at the moment is worse imo than any other way of doing things

cliche i know but africa doesnt have large subsidies like the EU and look at how 'free trade' has affected them (South America is another) free trade doesn't help these countries. international agrements like NAFTA and WTO, help these countries how?
    'Fair trade' is pointless and a waste of time. It's a marketing gimmick, supermarkets love it because they make more profits on fair trade stuff. If you want to help people buy non 'fair trade' goods and give the money you've saved to a development charity operating in the third world.

'Fair trade' doesn't work anyway, it's not sustainable. It effectively seeks to increase the price of tea or whatever by artificially raising the price - this then increases supply of tea - and then when the supply increases the price drops again.

The somewhat amusing thing is the people that buy fair trade coffee or whatever to feel good about themselves, demand the EU and US abolish subsidies then whine on about food 'miles' and the merits of buying local produce...Er abolish subsidies and there'll be more imports and more food miles...It's unfortunate really however that the EU won't follow the lead of the US, Bush promised to abolish subsidies if the EU would follow suit but the EU has consistently refused. The likes of France are too selfish to help the developing world. We'll only have fair trade when we have truly free trade. And until we stand up to France that won't happen.
    'Fair trade' is pointless and a waste of time. It's a marketing gimmick, supermarkets love it because they make more profits on fair trade stuff. If you want to help people buy non 'fair trade' goods and give the money you've saved to a development charity operating in the third world

bullshit!
    oxfam sell fairtrade products why? it isnt a supermarket!
    fairtrade is a way of allowing communities earn their way out of poverty instead of just getting short term aid hand out, you need a balance of short term aid with long term incentives such as fairtrade because this allows a community to gain a premium each year which can be spent anyway that community decides how it should be spent, does free trade?
    fairtrade brings stability to the ridiculous fluctuations of markets especially coffee beans, as for sustainability FT is because there is such a huge range of products that the market isnt flooded with any one particular product and the longer FT last the more products and farmers will increase as it increases the price will drop but the price to the farmer will not the profit margin will, at the moment is seen as a luxury but the wider expanse of FT will make it a normal product again only decreasing the profit margins and not the guarenteed minimuim for the farmers!
    if you dont buy FT then you keeping the poorest farmers poor and aiding the power of the biggest corporations to use its might against a local farmer increasing poverty!