Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gas mileage question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody know any possible reasons why a car would get, on average, about 5 miles a gallon less than its supposed to?

Comments

• Options
    I think it depends on the way it is driven... Depending on how you drive a car it need more or less gas...
  • Options
    heavy foot?
  • Options
    I was reading up and I read that the way you drive should only affect it by a couple mpg, 1,2... at the most 3. Not 5 and more. But I couldn't find anything even slightly helpful to suggest anything for that. I've driven my car for the last week and its time to fill up again, I've lost a good 50-60 miles I should have had and I only have a 10 gallon tank :\ I know my driving isn't the cause as I've always gotten the satated mileage, plus 1 or 2.

Could it just be the car is old? Do old cars lose gas mileage? I think something might be broken, but I like to have a general idea before I take it places, else they tend to screw you over. Especially since I'm a girl that knows nothing. And the internet is not helpful at all I've been looking it up for the past couple days to no avail.

Though the internet probably lied to me, it always does :p
    I'll keep an eye on different driving situations and see if it increases/decreases, thanks :)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    England Flags.
    Timing might be fucked.
    Anything Heavy in it?
    Roof rack/box?
    Tires flat?
    If its an Auto 'box, it mgiht be fuckerooed.

And wow.. your cars in the US run off GAS? Thats quite rare here, no forecourts have LPG here ;p (Sorry, I do know what you mean... but what do you Americans call actual gas then?)
  • Options
    the fuel injectors could be putting more fuel into the car than what it is ment to, some cars do burn more fuel than others,

also keeping the car in higher revs, eg doing 50miles per hour in fourth in high revs, go up to 5th gear and revs go down, eg - using less fuel.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    the fuel injectors could be putting more fuel into the car than what it is ment to, some cars do burn more fuel than others,

also keeping the car in higher revs, eg doing 50miles per hour in fourth in high revs, go up to 5th gear and revs go down, eg - using less fuel.
    Its an automatic.
    I'll look into the fuel injector thing, thanks. But that sounds important and expensive. Is it?

And nothing heavy, I have a rip off Barbie (Sassy Tiffany, oh yeah) in my back seat and my gym clothes... but thats probably not really weighing it down. :p Maybe somebody put a fat dead body in my trunk.

What do you mean gerbil, what do we call gas, gas is gas, lots of things are gas, like car gas, butt gas, I think our stove runs off gas too... Should/would/do/can they have different names?

Ed's selling his car and I'm off my parents health insurance July 1st and its going to cost me alot more than I was expecting so now I have to have the crunchanator for alot longer than I thought, so I don't want it breaking on me!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    my_name wrote:
    What do you mean gerbil, what do we call gas, gas is gas, lots of things are gas, like car gas, butt gas, I think our stove runs off gas too... Should/would/do/can they have different names?

I thought it would be awekward calling it "gas" when it is a liquid. Confusing with actual Gas... I know it is shortened from Gasoline... but still confusing tbh!
    my_name wrote:
    Ed's selling his car and I'm off my parents health insurance July 1st and its going to cost me alot more than I was expecting so now I have to have the crunchanator for alot longer than I thought, so I don't want it breaking on me!

Bad luck! Well, you could take it to a garage but thast is expensive. Any people you know who know alot about cars you could ask to check it out for you? If not... well, follow the adivce in this thread that gets given and has been sofar.

Or pick up a cheap $50 banger.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I thought it would be awekward calling it "gas" when it is a liquid. Confusing with actual Gas... I know it is shortened from Gasoline... but still confusing tbh!

I kinda get you... like a joke, ha. Maybe. Anyways. Maybe Ed knows somebody who knows somebody who knows something about cars. I'll ask around. Thanks. High five. Oh, and my car is the cheap $50 banger... well it is now... cuz of the second hand crunched up hood thats spray painted to match and held down by a bungie cord... but thats neither here nor there :p

I hate car shops, they always try to screw me over. Oh, girl, score.
    I come up to the counter, my car makes a sound like *makes sound*
    haha, dumb girl, score x2.
    Later that day...
    your car has this this this this this this and this wrong and will cost you this much and we'll refill your washer fluid for only $19.99 and most of those things, including low windshield washer fluid are dire to get fixed or your car will explode and you'll be trapped and die.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Does anybody know any possible reasons why a car would get, on average, about 5 miles a gallon less than its supposed to?

You don't have enough air in your tyres
  • Options
    You don't have enough air in your tyres

Nope, check them regularly, they are good. But thanks.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Nope, check them regularly, they are good. But thanks.

Clutch slipping maybe?? I got a new clutch recently and got more MPG's as a result
  • Options
    Maybe, I'll have a look into that one, that also sounds uberly expensive though :p Thanks :thumb:

Oh I'll feel so smart when I eventually talk to somebody :D
  • Options
    I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the clutch slipping in an auto though.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the clutch slipping in an auto though.
    Quite.

Could be a lot of things but age will be a factor due to engine wear. Tyre pressures, having the windows down in the summer takes your mpg down 10% (or aircon). Has the car been serviced recently?
  • Options
    clean or renew the air filter.
    clean any fuel filters.
  • Options
    Incorrect grade of engine oil
    Incorrect grade of gearbox oil
    Incorrect grade of axle oil
    Underinflated tyres
    Binding brakes
    Poorly adjusted a/f mixture - old car
    Dirty or damaged sensors - newer car
    Blowing exhaust
    Blocked exhaust
    Dirty air filter
    Leaking fuel tank
    Increased use of A/C
    Driving with windows open

And, most importantly...

Not driving the same route as the morons who measure mpg for official statistics ;).

Take them with a pinch of salt. Some are accurate, some are not. US gallons differ from the rest of the world, so don't try to compare your mpg to the same vehicle in a different country. :)
  • Options
    Yes, well as I stated before, I'm concerned because my car, up intil a month ago got what it was supposed to. Its specks are 30city, and I normally only drive city. I always got 30-32. I'm anal and I check it often. I also get things check/change/clean on a regular basis. Crappy car as it is, I take very good care of it. It gets its regularly check ups. Even when I go in for an oil change I have them check everything and rotate the tires and check them because I'm clingy to my car.

Now, as I previously stated, up until a week ago, I got as I stated. This past week, I got 25 and 24 mpg. This is a big difference to me and raised some alarms. Nothing has changed in the way I drive or maintain my car.

I havn't found anybody that knows anybody who knows about cars, though somebody said they'll check with somebody :p I'm so scared its going to break on me, I'll probalby take it in to the horrible rip off shop today :(
    Thank you all for your help. :) :thumb:
  • Options
    My dad is a mechanic and the only thing he can suggest is that you might have a small leak but that, that may be a pretty useless suggestion considering he hasn't looked at/driven the car and has only read this thread (through me). :p
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    My dad is a mechanic and the only thing he can suggest is that you might have a small leak but that, that may be a pretty useless suggestion considering he hasn't looked at/driven the car and has only read this thread (through me). :p

Thats so obvious, how did I not even think of that! Thank you. :D
    I even had that once before on my last car. I deserve a big smack in the forehead for that one.

Your my hero of the day.
    (if that is whats wrong ;))

Give your dad a big high five!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Thats so obvious, how did I not even think of that! Thank you. :D
    you could also be getting short measure at the pumps ...it happens a lot.
    but ...having a clean air filter is important ...makes a big difference.
  • Options
    you could also be getting short measure at the pumps ...it happens a lot.
    but ...having a clean air filter is important ...makes a big difference.

Don't worry Mr. Roll, it got replaced just about a month and a half ago ;)