Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

United 93

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go_away wrote:
    It will be 911 times 2356

:lol:

You mean it will be 2,146,316?
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I might watch the film for comedy value alone. I bet it is NOTHING like the real story at all.

Tbh to comment before seeing it is as stupid as the tabloids that condemned Brass Eye before actually seeing it. I didn't think you were of such a similar mindset to our tabloid newspapers.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Also, won't America REALLY get over 9/11?

You really are a twat at times.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I mean, have the Brits made films about the IRA and their terrorism here? Nope. Honestly... it happened guys... terrorists exist.

There have been films about the IRA, some of them American...67 Brits died on 9/11. It was an attack on civilised people everywhere.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I really hoped, ya know, that 9/11 would finally stop the USA and the Republican Party funding the IRA. It didn't, they still do. There are still shops in American cities where you can buy products that profit the IRA.

What the fuck are you talking about now? The Republican Party does not fund the IRA. A few Irish Americans in Irish bars in Boston holding collections for the IRA (interestingly in a Democrat stronghold) does not equate to the Republican Party funding the IRA. :rolleyes: And er it was also Clinton, a Democrat that lifted a 20 year ban on official contact between the US government and Sinn Fein in '94 (following an IRA cease fire) Direct funding of the IRA is also illegal in the US...
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Sad world. This is why I will NEVER beleive in the US "War on Terror" - The US Funds Terror. The UK has a FULLY LEGITIMATE reason the Invade here.

The US government does not fund the IRA...:rolleyes:
    The IRA get their funding from the American group called NORAID.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    And alot of Republicans have strong connections and HAVE used funds from the party on the IRA.
    67 Brits died on 9/11. It was an attack on civilised people everywhere.

Actually it was an attack for ideological reasons. Not on civilised people. Otherwise it would probably have been barbarians with big sticks. Odly enough, Islamists ARE Civilised... they just have a different view of civilisation to everyone else.
    You really are a twat at times.

What, I think they should. Most people get over attacks and move on... no! America has go keep on about it and invade countries that have no connection, like Iraq, and try to falsify that Saddam funded terror once they found the WMD excuse was BS.

AFghanistahn I can understand. Iraq I can't. Would also help if the US hadn't trained half the terrorists anyway.
    It's already been pretty well established that Israel is a pretty minor point but you carry on with the discredited premise that somehow makes Israel and US support for Israel the main cause of 9/11. I wonder why. Any chance to bash Israel...There are far more significant causes than Israel, why single out Israel eh?
    I'm not sure about Al Qaida, but having met many many Arabs indeed I can assure you America's disgraceful blanket support of Israel's murderous ways is the number one reason in the Arab world for their dislike or plain hatred of the US.
    Listen guys, why does this have to turn into putting someone down?
    If anyone has got a different view than you, however naive, wrong, uneducated it may be, they have a right to express it and if you think you know better, then explain it and point to links and shit.

And I think that some of you are forgetting that the people that died in 9/11 were real people and that to them and their families, United 93 probably means a great deal. Those people might not even care about the "War on terror". It's wrong to categorize them in the same category as the US government!!

So if you haven't seen the film, see it and then make a judgement, the film is like a memoriem to the people who died, at the end all the names of the people on that flight are listed. It's nothing to do with Rambo and other hollywood films that were not fact based.

If you have seen the film then surely you'd realize that the film is about portraying the heroes on flight 93 who stopped the plane from reaching the White house and their families and not capital gain.
    migpilot wrote:
    So if you haven't seen the film, see it and then make a judgement, the film is like a memoriem to the people who died, at the end all the names of the people on that flight are listed. It's nothing to do with Rambo and other hollywood films that were not fact based.
    It's exactly like Rambo. It's a pro-American film designed to get the public behind the government, when it appears that everyone has withdrawn their support for the war. Rambo did it in Vietnam, this seems to be doing it now, albiet in different ways.
    an attack on the civilised world aye? :chin:
    It's exactly like Rambo. It's a pro-American film designed to get the public behind the government, when it appears that everyone has withdrawn their support for the war. Rambo did it in Vietnam, this seems to be doing it now, albiet in different ways.

How? (I'm assuming you've seen it)
    I didn't see anything in it that would get people behind their government - it just seemed to be a fascinating account of air traffic control followed by the less impressive section on the plane.

It didn't feel directed to be a piece of propoganda at all, it seemed mostly impartial though a few of the details added for the sake of the drama (on the plane) do lose it a bit.

The use of so many of the people actually involved in the air traffic control was impressive, and the moment the first plane hit was incredible. Comparing it to Rambo is a joke - a fictional story with little popularity compared to a basically accurate story
    Jim V wrote:
    I didn't see anything in it that would get people behind their government - it just seemed to be a fascinating account of air traffic control followed by the less impressive section on the plane.

It didn't feel directed to be a piece of propoganda at all, it seemed mostly impartial though a few of the details added for the sake of the drama (on the plane) do lose it a bit.

The use of so many of the people actually involved in the air traffic control was impressive, and the moment the first plane hit was incredible. Comparing it to Rambo is a joke - a fictional story with little popularity compared to a basically accurate story

Agreed.

Out of everyone I know who has seen this film (myself included), there has been no discussino of how this film is portrayed to depict one side of a story or anything of the sort. It's a film, to remember a tragic event, and to commemorate some very brave people, end of.
    I can see how it could be seen as getting people behind the 'war on terror', in that its showing innocent people be killed by terrorists. The most effective propoganda films aren't neccessarily those about ultra-heroic soldiers slaying the beastly hun, the rotten reds or the ragheads, but about ordinary people reacting to an evil which threatens them*

That said many of the people who seem to be saying what a terrible film this is, how its just designed to shore up Bush etc, etc are the same people who wax lyrical over Michael Moore doing it for the other side

* Churchill felt that Mrs Miniver was more important to the British war effort than a flottila of destroyers. He didn't say the same for 'Target for Tonight'
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And alot of Republicans have strong connections and HAVE used funds from the party on the IRA.

I'd love to see proof of that. Tbh it's slightly more plausible that Democrats have funded the IRA, over the years prominent Irish American Democrats have controlled the party machines in big US cities but I'd be very surprised if party funds from either party had ever funded the IRA. (And funnily enough most Irish Americans don't fund the IRA). As turlough said the IRA get their US funding from NORAID and I'd guess NORAID has benefited from a few sympathetic Congressmen over the years but that's hardly party funds funding the IRA. (And for some balance it’s worth pointing out Ian Paisley has some links with some pretty extreme Christian groups and such in the States, not sure how much use they've been financially though).
    The country which was the biggest source of funding for the IRA was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. And more funding has come from the UK Government (by fraud on building projects).

Even within America the supporters of Irish Republicanism tend to be Democrats not Republicans (this may be stating the obvious but Irish republicans and American Republicans only similarity is the name)
    (And for some balance it’s worth pointing out Ian Paisley has some links with some pretty extreme Christian groups and such in the States, not sure how much use they've been financially though).

That's not balance. Any money Paisley gets does not go into terrorism. Given that the man believes in a literal hell and has stated that Loyalist Terrorists will go to Hell I think he's made his position plain (and his condemnation of the UUP for its links to PUP which is linked to the UVF).

Its kind of like saying the BNP gets funds from German neo-nazi groups and then saying but for balance Labour gets funds from the Trade Unions.