Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

United 93

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I only heard about this film yesterday so I decided to watch it. It's an account of September 11th in memory of those who had to suffer and loose their lives for those who call them selves muslims and kill people like this in the name of god. it is sickening.

My initial reaction was madness and anger at those who call them selves muslims who act in such away. They beat innocence, then they carried aircrafts into buldings and other places. All in the name of Allah - Islam.

I also felt sorry for those who were in the plane. I was sad and did cry a little because it was so powerful.

After watching the film I symphaise with the Bush administration even further to combat terrorism - this eveil ideology.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm glad to see you're so easily influenced Luke. All we need to do now is to make you watch a movie or two showing the other side of the conflict, and then perhaps you will finally begin to understand the actions of your beloved US and British governments.
    Its just a pro-American film...it isnt a major thing.
    subject13 wrote:
    Its just a pro-American film...it isnt a major thing.
    Just like Moore was an anti American film but that was 'major'?

There's nothing pro about it. Was an accont of what evil people can do in the name of religion.
    Whatever gave you the idea that 9/11 was carried out "in the name of religion"?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Those who carried out the attacks yeah... call them selves muslims and through out the film they said they were carrying this out for allah, submitting them selves to god.. in the name of Islam.
    Aladdin wrote:

id hate to think what would happen to luke if he watched team america world police
    luke88 wrote:
    Those who carried out the attacks yeah... call them selves muslims and through out the film they said they were carrying this out for allah, submitting them selves to god.. in the name of Islam.

yeh, so they said that in the film, not in real life as far as you know
    MrG wrote:
    id hate to think what would happen to luke if he watched team america world police
    Not any old film will influence my political views. I have already stated before I watched the film I support the war on terror and can't understand those who sympahise with people like them in the film.
    Aladdin wrote:

I suspect the fact they were Moslem fundamentalists is a bit of a give away, unless you're following Clandestine's line that the planes were taken control of by the CIA using remote control. In which case it was Christian fundamentalists.
    NQA wrote:
    I suspect the fact they were Moslem fundamentalists is a bit of a give away, unless you're following Clandestine's line that the planes were taken control of by the CIA using remote control. In which case it was Christian fundamentalists.
    LOL! that is actually funny. Good old Clandestine... you couldn't make it up. :lol:
    NQA wrote:
    But they didn't attack the US because it was Christian and they were Muslims... to suggest the attack was religion-motivated is wrong and misleading.
    luke88 wrote:
    Not any old film will influence my political views. I have already stated before I watched the film I support the war on terror and can't understand those who sympahise with people like them in the film.
    Well you know us, always routing for the bad guys in films. They didn't happen to have upper class British accents by any chance did they? Or at least a hint of Russian in there?
    Aladdin wrote:
    But they didn't attack the US because it was Christian and they were Muslims... to suggest the attack was religion-motivated is wrong and misleading.
    I don't believe you. they attacked American because they believed they had to do it for their religion, it was their duty.
    Well you know us, always routing for the bad guys in films. They didn't happen to have upper class British accents by any chance did they? Or at least a hint of Russian in there?
    Who?
    luke88 wrote:
    I don't believe you. they attacked American because they believed they had to do it for their religion, it was their duty.
    Wherever do you get such ideas in your head from? :confused:
    Aladdin wrote:
    Wherever do you get such ideas in your head from? :confused:
    Where do you get yours from?
    MrG wrote:

It will be 911 times 2356
    luke88 wrote:

It was also a political act. Why do you think they chose the WTC? Islamism is a political phenomenom.
    Blagsta wrote:
    It was also a political act. Why do you think they chose the WTC? Islamism is a political phenomenom.
    It was a mixture between politics and religion.
    luke88 wrote:
    It was a mixture between politics and religion.

Well that's a very simplistic way of looking at. Actually I can't be arsed to bait you today. Too easy. Sorry.
    luke88 wrote:
    Who?
    The bad guys, obviously. Seem to in every other Hollywood film.

Quick question. Do you think William Wallace is a Scottish hero? Or Robin Hood spoke with an American accent? Or that the Vietnam war was won by a single guy with a red bandana round his head?
    The bad guys, obviously. Seem to in every other Hollywood film.

Quick question. Do you think William Wallace is a Scottish hero? Or Robin Hood spoke with an American accent? Or that the Vietnam war was won by a single guy with a red bandana round his head?
    I don't understand what you're getting at.
    luke88 wrote:
    Where do you get yours from?
    From news, current affairs and facts. And you?
    Aladdin wrote:

The attack wasn't because the US was christian, but without a doubt it was religously motivated.

It is slightly misleading to say Al-Q has just one specific aim, as it made up of a disparate number of groups and (the media especially) a tendency to claim all islamic fundamentalists are linked to Al-Q whether or not that is true.

However, if they do have an overarching goal it is the imposition of a militant form of Islam on both countries which are currently Islamic or those that were once. Rightly or wrongly they see the US as a barrier to that aim.

Now there are two main theories about why they attaced the US in such a devestating manner

1) They were hoping it would shock the US into isolationism and it would withdraw its support from moderate Muslim states (by which I mean states with a Muslim majority - not neccessarily those governed by some form of Islamic law)

2) They hoped for the US to overeact and antagonise Moslem opinion - making it easier for Al-Q to recruit and overthrow moderate states.

Personally I'm open on which of these reasons, but whichever one it is the overall aim behind the attack remains the same - ie to assist Al-Q in their goal of a radical Islamic confederation.
    luke88 wrote:
    I don't understand what you're getting at.
    It's a fictional film with a clear agenda to the storyline. I won't get too into it, because I don't like to judge a film before I've seen it, and I'm just going on the other things to come out of Hollywood over the years (Rambo being a particularly good example). There are people in Scotland that consider William Wallace a national hero, who's knowledge of him is entirely from the film Braveheart, for example.
    NQA wrote:
    The attack wasn't because the US was christian, but without a doubt it was religously motivated.

It is slightly misleading to say Al-Q has just one specific aim, as it made up of a disparate number of groups and (the media especially) a tendency to claim all islamic fundamentalists are linked to Al-Q whether or not that is true.

However, if they do have an overarching goal it is the imposition of a militant form of Islam on both countries which are currently Islamic or those that were once. Rightly or wrongly they see the US as a barrier to that aim.

Now there are two main theories about why they attaced the US in such a devestating manner

1) They were hoping it would shock the US into isolationism and it would withdraw its support from moderate Muslim states (by which I mean states with a Muslim majority - not neccessarily those governed by some form of Islamic law)

2) They hoped for the US to overeact and antagonise Moslem opinion - making it easier for Al-Q to recruit and overthrow moderate states.

Personally I'm open on which of these reasons, but whichever one it is the overall aim behind the attack remains the same - ie to assist Al-Q in their goal of a radical Islamic confederation.
    You don't think the US' interventionist policy and persecution of Arab nations as well its shameful protectionism and blanket support of the illegal actions of Israel had nothing to do with it then?
    Aladdin wrote:
    You don't think the US' interventionist policy and persecution of Arab nations as well its shameful protectionism and blanket support of the illegal actions of Israel had nothing to do with it then?

Well I wouldn't put it quite in those words. But yes, as I said the Al-Q saw the US as a barrier to their aims.

Israel seems to be a minor point with Bin Laden (though i accept its more important to others). He does seem more interested in western (not just US)support of states he sees as corrupt, such as Turkey, Kuwait, Malaysia, Indonesia, Saudi etc.

But this does not in any way change the fact he attacked the US as part of an attempt to impose a certain set of religous values on certain countries. It was religously motivated.
    luke88 wrote:
    Just like Moore was an anti American film but that was 'major'?

There's nothing pro about it. Was an accont of what evil people can do in the name of religion.

Was michael moore's film a major thing? Was a crappy documentary that was so obviously one sided and edited to fit a certain way it was as pointless as this film is.
    Aladdin wrote:

It's already been pretty well established that Israel is a pretty minor point but you carry on with the discredited premise that somehow makes Israel and US support for Israel the main cause of 9/11. I wonder why. Any chance to bash Israel...There are far more significant causes than Israel, why single out Israel eh?

Al qaeda is made up of religious fundamentalists, their views are alien to any Muslim, Christian or atheist who believes in rational, liberal and democratic values. Al qaeda isn't somehow legitimate criticism of US foreign policy.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I might watch the film for comedy value alone. I bet it is NOTHING like the real story at all.

Also, won't America REALLY get over 9/11? I mean, have the Brits made films about the IRA and their terrorism here? Nope. Honestly... it happened guys... terrorists exist.

I really hoped, ya know, that 9/11 would finally stop the USA and the Republican Party funding the IRA. It didn't, they still do. There are still shops in American cities where you can buy products that profit the IRA.

Sad world. This is why I will NEVER beleive in the US "War on Terror" - The US Funds Terror. The UK has a FULLY LEGITIMATE reason the Invade here.