Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Barred for sporting an 'England haircut'

A football-mad teenager has been told he will have to sit his exams away from his fellow pupils after having a patriotic haircut for the World Cup.
Martyn Woodward has had his hair shaved into the shape of a St George's Cross to show his support for England.

But Huntington School in York has now told him he has to sit his GCSE exams away from the other students.

The school says the haircut breaches its policy but Martyn has vowed to keep it until the end of the tournament.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5078318.stm

Fire away :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good move. You can just see the other students writing "cross, cross, jesus, beckham, cross,goal, 1966!" on their papers.
    Wait until Luke sees this...

*runs to buy popcorn*
    I'm always amazed at how serious Europeans are about soccer. Talk about sublimation of nationalism.
    I'm always amazed at how serious Europeans are about soccer. Talk about sublimation of nationalism.

Replace Europeans with Americans and soccer with war and that's exactly how we feel about you lot. ;)
    turlough wrote:
    Replace Europeans with Americans and soccer with war and that's exactly how we feel about you lot. ;)
    Fuck man, I've seen British soccer hooligans in action. If your comparison is accurate we must be one scary bunch.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Just replace that with "Rednecks" and "NASCAR" and "Americans" and "US Football" (Aka: The suck version). :p

Seriously... and you guys and baseball. God.

But seriously though... NASCAR is the best sport in the US. End of sentence.
    isnt it made clear the rules in exmas though, about insignia, and anything with any vague possibility of causing even the most minimal of disruption
    Schools have always had stupid policies about hair and appearence. Back in 6th form people would be 'forced' to shave if they had beards before exams.
    Kid does something rebellious for attention.

Kid gets attention.

*shrug*
    Kermit wrote:
    Kid does something rebellious for attention.

Kid gets attention.

*shrug*

Well summed up.
    Renzo wrote:
    Schools have always had stupid policies about hair and appearence. Back in 6th form people would be 'forced' to shave if they had beards before exams.
    Except they blatantly didn't because of relgious reasons for having face hair.
    Renzo wrote:
    Back in 6th form people would be 'forced' to shave if they had beards before exams.

Seriously? Don't think we have rules like that...

It is called FOOTBALL, i know its confusing because you have your own rip-off version of Rugby over there that you call "Football" even though you practically never use your feet on the ball.

Americans watch and go mental over Baseball *yawn* so i wouldnt comment there.

Finally...England hasnt had a serious hooligan problem for a long while, last serious sports rampage was in LA at the end of the NBA season a little while ago.

As for this kid...Kermit said it best!
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Except they blatantly didn't because of relgious reasons for having face hair.

There were exceptions but i know people who were made to shave before exams.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    One of my kids has an england flag shaved into his head. It's a bit naff but all we did was have a giggle between ourselves and move on.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    One of my kids has an england flag shaved into his head. It's a bit naff but all we did was have a giggle between ourselves and move on.
    How old kids are we talking about?
    How old kids are we talking about?

Not quite as old but the comp has also turned a blind eye as apparently his older brother is sporting the same hair cut :|
    subject13 wrote:
    It is called FOOTBALL
    Footballs are thrown my friend.
    i know its confusing because you have your own rip-off version of Rugby over there that you call "Football" even though you practically never use your feet on the ball.
    Having played both, I'd say they're in no way similar.
    Americans watch and go mental over Baseball *yawn* so i wouldnt comment there.

Finally...England hasnt had a serious hooligan problem for a long while, last serious sports rampage was in LA at the end of the NBA season a little while ago.
    I think it's more that people on ESPN like to talk alot about how people go mental over baseball. We like to prettned to watch it because it's our national past time.
    Footballs are thrown my friend.

Surely the clue is in the word - football.
    Surely the clue is in the word - football.
    That's what people keep telling me. Funny how no one around here seems to care.:razz: And besides, we drive in parkways and park in driveways.

besides, I'm far too hung over at the moment to get hung up on technicalities.
    That's what people keep telling me. Funny how no one around here seems to care.:razz:

I don't really care tbh. You can call it what you want for all I care.

I'm just in a silly mood :p
    Renzo wrote:
    There were exceptions but i know people who were made to shave before exams.
    "made" define "made" were they told they would not be allowed to take their exams unless they shaved?
    :rolleyes: Sorry, but why can't you have a beard while taking a test? Are they scared you might hide the answers in there or something?
    :rolleyes: Sorry, but why can't you have a beard while taking a test? Are they scared you might hide the answers in there or something?

Ah, I figured it!

Osama is hiding in his own beard! *Contacts CIA*
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not quite as old but the comp has also turned a blind eye as apparently his older brother is sporting the same hair cut :|
    What I meant is, if they're young (like 6 or so) then surely it's not an informed decision on their part... I'd be worried if his parent agreed to that, and much more so if it wasn't the kid's idea at all.
    Perhpas schools should start showing this?

My school it was between a 2 and a 6... stupid school.
    Renzo wrote:

they cant be true male student without a mess of a face during revision time and exams
    Earlier this month 13-year-old Lewis Whitehead was sent home from his school in Cornwall for having a special haircut in honour of the start of the World Cup. The teenager had hexagons shaved into his hair to make his head look like a football.

Ahahahahaha that made me laugh
    Taunts of "kick his head in"?
    I love the yanks, we give them a perfectly good language... and they do their best to bastardise it :p

As for the kid and the school, I expect nothing less. You. Must. Conform.