Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Handing your notice in before going on holiday?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've posted before about my awful line manager and she's just getting worse and worse.
I'm going on holiday on 29th June til 7th July and planned to hand my notice in a week or so after I got back. However, my job is proving such a nightmare- my line manager's so awful that I'm really struggling just to get through each day without just bursting in to tears. I feel totally miserable and don't know if I can wait til than.
Does anyone know if I can hand in my notice before going on holiday and get paid for my holiday still?It doesn't expressly say anything in my contract and I'm desperate!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends how your holiday allowance works. When does it run from? (usually Jan-Dec or Apr-Mar) What is your entitlement? (how many days per year).

I get 25 days a year, which runs from Apr-Mar, so that works out at approx. 2 days for each full month worked. So far, I've worked two full months this holiday year so I've built up an entitlement of four days. If I handed my notice in so that I finished at the beginning of July and would by then have worked three whole months so would have a entitlement of six days - I could have a six days off work before I go and still be paid for them, or just not take them and get the money in my final pay packet instead.

If you're planning to take more days off than you've built up in entitlement, they should let you have as many days off as you've accrued and take the money off you for the rest.

Sorry.. I'm waffling! I hope that makes some kind of sense! Come back to me with your dates and entitlement and I'll try to work it out for you if you like! :)