Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cohabitee rights

15678911»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    If you are not in a relationship with him, you wouldn't have to. At all.

But who knows, it's my word against his, in other words yet another court case.

Aladdin wrote:
    What issues would those be?

Well, you won't tell us with you, because you seem to think you don't have to justify your point of view
    Aladdin wrote:
    Clearly millions of people disagree with you there.

Millions more would agree with me
    Aladdin wrote:
    No, I guess you wouldn't.

What's that supposed to mean? Or are you reduced to snide backbiting remarks now?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    But who knows, it's my word against his, in other words yet another court case.
    And how often would that happen?

Well, you won't tell us with you, because you seem to think you don't have to justify your point of view
    Not any more than anyone should have to justify their religious beliefs, not.

Millions more would agree with me
    Seeing as the new legislation wouldn't affect or concern them at all, I doubt they give much of a shit.

What's that supposed to mean? Or are you reduced to snide backbiting remarks now?
    It means that you appear to be diametrically opposed to any legislation that "undermines" the value of marriage, or are otherwise completely close-minded to the concept that cohabitating couples should have the same rights and responsibilities as other couples.

And as for snide remarks, I suggest you look at your own efforts for the last few days.
    1. I shudder to think, opt-out, is a crap way to go about this sort of thing.
    2. This is a legal procedure I fail to see what this has to do with a religion
    3. Except they'd all have to go sign opt-out forms wouldn't they.
    4. "undermines" right, like civil ceremonies that mean that marriage has nothing to do with God wouldn't be undermining things from my perspective would it.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    1. I shudder to think, opt-out, is a crap way to go about this sort of thing.
    2. This is a legal procedure I fail to see what this has to do with a religion
    3. Except they'd all have to go sign opt-out forms wouldn't they.
    4. "undermines" right, like civil ceremonies that mean that marriage has nothing to do with God wouldn't be undermining things from my perspective would it.

1. We obviously disagree about that point.

2. Marriage has far more significance than just a simple legal procedure.
    A death sentence is a simple legal procedure. A divorce is a simple legal procedure. Authorising euthanasia would be a simple legal procedure. Do you think they are meaningless too?

3. Er... no they wouldn't. Unless they are in a long term relationship with each other and they wanted to opt out.

4. You don't have to be religious to be pro-marriage and to want to protect marriage from procedures that would undermine it. And I haven't said this- Kentish did.
    Christ, this thread still going?