Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

England Vs. Paraguay

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote:
    The England 'fans' who booed Hargreaves are a disgrace. When someone wears the shirt of your country they should be supported and respected. Disgusting.
    To be fair I couldn't make out clear booing, I think it was 35000 fans all groaning which is what everyone did where I was as soon as he was brought on.

Crouch was quality in the first half, won most things in the air but got penalised by count dracula (the ref) unfairly on a number of occasions, he showed some good touches, he's no rooney but I think he deserves his place in the side. He battles hard, he seems to work his bollocks of chasing loose balls and lost causes. People who say otherwise don't know much about football to be fair. Sure he was shite in the 2nd half but thats Svens fault not his.

Thought we were excellent in the first half, thought we looked dangerous. 2nd half was utter shite but I'll blame sven for that and not the england boys.
  • Options
    Should have brough on Walcott for Owen. Sven may not have seen him in action but I have and if I was a tired defence, I would not want to see Theo Walcott charging at me. The kid is awesome. England were lucky but a win is a win. Can't see Brazil losing much sleep over it though...
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    The England 'fans' who booed Hargreaves are a disgrace. When someone wears the shirt of your country they should be supported and respected. Disgusting.

if anoyone was booing, it wasnt personal on Hargreaves, it was the situation and tactics deployed. Bringing on a midfielder for Owen with a good 20 minutes to go to leave Crouch up on his own is never a good move
  • Options
    Plus Owen Hargreaves is a bit shit ;)
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    if anoyone was booing, it wasnt personal on Hargreaves, it was the situation and tactics deployed. Bringing on a midfielder for Owen with a good 20 minutes to go to leave Crouch up on his own is never a good move

Downing was brought on for Owen, and Joe Cole was deployed as a support striker so Crouch wasn't on his own. Owen seemed to be struggling, especially with the heat, perhaps he's not match fit?

It was definitely booing, but I'd give the fans the benefit of the doubt, and say it was probably a minority. Sven obviously sees Hargreaves as a better holding option than Carrick in his team. If I remember right he was only brought on for the last 10 minutes, probably to ensure the win. England were unimpressive in the 2nd half, and it was probably wise to prevent Paraguay equalizing.

Hopefully Rooney will play the next game, because to be honest, it was quite boring, and alot of the other top sides are looking much better at the moment. Rooney's probably the spark the side needs.

Who would you sacrifice up front if Rooney was to play?
  • Options
    England will beat Trinidad in the next game, regardless.

I don't see the sense in risking Rooney this early. Maybe give him 20 minutes at the end to get some sharpness, and if he gets through that OK then play him against Sweden.

Has to be Owen and Crouch, really. Would be an ideal game for Walcott really, but Owen needs match sharpness.
  • Options
    Owen and Crouchy will start, they will both score, then Michael is gonna come off for the last 15-20 minutes and Rooney will come on.
    True!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Owen and Crouchy will start, they will both score, then Michael is gonna come off for the last 15-20 minutes and Rooney will come on.
    True!
    That should be a good combo. Rooney running onto Crouchy's knockdowns. :thumb:
  • Options
    That should be a good combo. Rooney running onto Crouchy's knockdowns. :thumb:
    I don't think it would to be honest. Rooney plays in the hole like Crouch and I don't believe he would be as effective on the shoulder of the last man like Owen. He looks his best when he picks the ball up deep and runs at defences scaring them half to death. I also don't think Crouch is as effective being on the shoulder of the last man as he just doesn't have the pace.

That saying though Rooney would definately be able to do a job in the Owen role but I don't believe that will get the best out of him.

I know Owen doesn't seem sharp/match fit but we have no-one else with the same kind of qualitys in the team. Sure we could throw Walcott in at the deep end but I'm sure Svens subs on saturday kind of proved that wasn't going to happen. Walcott also I believe plays in the Rooney/Crouch role in the hole just behind the front man. We need Owen to start firing or we have little chance of doing anything in this competition.

I liked Sven having the balls to pick Walcott but he should have taken another striker if he doesn't plan on using him and has just taken him along for the ride.
  • Options
    Nah, you still play Rooney in the hole. Crouch would play more like he does for Liverpool, holding the ball up and knocking it down for attacking midfielders (Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole) to run onto and make things happen. Of course Rooney can still have the odd run beyond Crouch to prevent them from just negating him by defending high up the pitch.
  • Options
    Nah, you still play Rooney in the hole. Crouch would play more like he does for Liverpool, holding the ball up and knocking it down for attacking midfielders (Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole) to run onto and make things happen. Of course Rooney can still have the odd run beyond Crouch to prevent them from just negating him by defending high up the pitch.
    If you watched the match on Saturday you'll realise that didn't work, we were crap in the 2nd half which was due to having no-one feeding off Crouch. Cole played where Rooney would and wasn't there to pick up Crouch's bits and pieces and neither was Gerrard or Lampard. Both central midfielders had the freedom when Cole went off as Hargreaves was brought on as the holding midfielder and still neither got close enough to crouch.

We need a player with Owens strengths on the pitch, playing on the shoulder of the last man, making diagonal runs across the back four, for the likes of Gerrard, Lamps, Becks & J.Cole to pick out and also for the flick ons when Crouch wins the headers. We have no-one else in the team that is proven who can make them kind of runs. Rooney could but like I said before he needs to be in the hole, picking up the ball in space and running at defences. When he does this and Owen makes the diagonal runs I am talking about we will cause all sorts of problems for the defence.

I won't budge from my point of view that we desperately need Owen to get his sharpness and touch back, otherwise we're going to see a lot more performances like that 2nd half. We have no-one to replace him and do the job he is their to do.
  • Options
    Crouch is a top player, he gives us something different, and he should have been taken. He played quite well against Paraguay I feel.

Owen Hargreaves again is a good footballer, his trophy cabinet shows just how good he is. You don't stick around at Bayern Munich for long if you're shite, and you don't keep players like Effenberg out of the team (like he used to do) if you're shite. Trouble is England fans don't see how good he is because not many people watch Bayern every week.

England fans booed Hargreaves just like they booed Crouch. It's nothing short of a disgrace. You NEVER boo your own players.

I think tactically the plan was sound- play Crouch up top and have Cole in the hole, with some fresh pace down the wing. Unfortunately it didn't quite work out to plan- mostly because Lampard and Gerrard stopped passing the ball- but I think the idea was a sound one. Owen looked shattered.

I don't understand the whingeing. England got three points against a tough team in tough conditions- England players lost 10lb because of the heat- and that's all you need in the first game of the world cup.

Though every tournament you get all the morons crawling out of the woodwork slagging the players off for not beating every team 46-0. people still keep seriously suggesting Beckham should be dropped for A N Other (it was SWP, but after his spectacular season at Chelsea its now anyone else). People say that Crouch is shite without suggesting who would be better. The only player I wouldn't have taken would be Walcott- I'd have taken Johnson or Defoe- but that's only because of experience.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Owen Hargreaves again is a good footballer, his trophy cabinet shows just how good he is. You don't stick around at Bayern Munich for long if you're shite, and you don't keep players like Effenberg out of the team (like he used to do) if you're shite. Trouble is England fans don't see how good he is because not many people watch Bayern every week.

England fans booed Hargreaves just like they booed Crouch. It's nothing short of a disgrace. You NEVER boo your own players.
    Agreed about that. Never boo your own players. I still don't rate him in this position though, especially compared to Carrick. He gives the ball away too much, and lacks the positioning of Carrick. He's not as good a passer of the ball either. It was the same with Phil Neville in this role (who played for Man Utd every week at the time). Eventually, he'll give away a free kick or ball, or go missing at a crucial time, and it'll cost us.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I was glad to see Hargreaves respond to the fans earlier by saying he'll keep playing his game, and not let fans who have hardly seen him play faze him.

Gordon Strachan made a good point earlier. If Gerrard has a bad game for England, he's seen as out of form until he bangs 2 goals in for Liverpool, then he's the dog's bollocks again and all the fickle fans love him. :rolleyes: If Hargreaves has a bad game, he's seen as out of form for 3 months because noone sees him play for Bayern.