Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

barred for entry for wearing a england

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    luke88 wrote:
    councils for one.

Which councils? How are they stopping you being patriotic?
    i like the hijacking of MY thread :p
    i like the hijacking of MY thread :p
    it reminds me of the good cop bad cop routine ...we all know who's the bad cop!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Don't expect a sensible answer from Luke, people, we know this. No-one is really offended by the flag or anything. It's just some rules they think might stop football related violence but probably won't. Meh.

And as for thread jacking, this thread needs a kittin picture.
    kitten-names.jpg
    but why should i be punished, i weren't ranting on about football, and the pub was full of loud mouth twats anyway, i was just wearing my lucky shirt that i wore for the match earlier

assuming people who wear football shirts are all violent loud idiots is discrimination, im quite a passive fan

it's a pub for fucks sake, not a bar or anything, its for people to relax in and have a drink with friends, not a flashy bar or anything
    I agree, it is discrimination. I've been asked to leave somewhere before for wearing baggy trowsers.
    i think discrimination for what you wear is very bad and wrong

cant remember where the quote is from but
    he who gives up freedom and liberty for temporary safety, deserves neither safety or liberty

i almost had both taken from me the other day

except lots of rowdy people were wearing england shirts yesterday, and i hate to single people out, but they were the ones causing trouble, not because they were wearing the shirts, but men being patriotic, and drinking, and in large groups, tend to behave like wankers more than usual

including the bruise i have on my forehead from getting twatted last night, by a guy in a football shirt, all because i was coming in to start last night, and a doorman refused him entry, yes he was wearing an england shirt, and yes he kicked off about it, though he never heard that it wasnt because of the shirt, it was because he was too drunk
    MrG wrote:
    i think discrimination for what you wear is very bad and wrong

cant remember where the quote is from but

i almost had both taken from me the other day

except lots of rowdy people were wearing england shirts yesterday, and i hate to single people out, but they were the ones causing trouble, not because they were wearing the shirts, but men being patriotic, and drinking, and in large groups, tend to behave like wankers more than usual

including the bruise i have on my forehead from getting twatted last night, by a guy in a football shirt, all because i was coming in to start last night, and a doorman refused him entry, yes he was wearing an england shirt, and yes he kicked off about it, though he never heard that it wasnt because of the shirt, it was because he was too drunk

i was sober and wasn't gona drink as my mate couldnt he was driving, so we drove back to drop his car off and got plastered in a friendly pub

the guys weho get rowdy get rowdy no matta what they're wearing

and well how is it a fair measure when i, who is quite peaceful are not allowed entry for what i wear to a pub of all places
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    How does one wear an England, exactally, going by the title of this thread anyway? Like, the whole country, all at once? Eep.

Klint would go MAD.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    How does one wear an England, exactally, going by the title of this thread anyway? Like, the whole country, all at once? Eep.

Klint would go MAD.

im a big boy :shocking:
    Tramps...usually here football tops are allowed but in certain pubs you can't wear a celtic or rangers top, self explanatory...recipe for violence.
    Well we all know that certain people seem to be allowed to discriminate against people. Car insurance companies for one. Shop are allowed to ban people wearing particular things, pubs are the same. I was watching the Argentina match with some Argie friends, and they were wearing the shirts. And guess who it was that starting shouting things at them. Yep, that's right, some nobhead in a normal polo shirt, who wouldn't have any problem getting into a club. Banning someone from wearing a football shirt because someone might start on them, is like banning a black person from a club, because the rest of your customers are racist cunts, and they'd start a fight.
    no its not
    just as everyone says a pub landlord has the right to allow smoking in his pub of his own free will

so he/she should be allowed to deny or grant access to who ever he wishes by that logic

and is it not worse discrimination to allow you in with an england top on, and then not let in someone else with an england top on that is going to cause bother

and im well aware that people wearing normal clothes cause trouble, but why not just let anyone and everything into the pub, and let the trouble kick off then
    MrG wrote:
    just as everyone says a pub landlord has the right to allow smoking in his pub of his own free will

so he/she should be allowed to deny or grant access to who ever he wishes by that logic

and is it not worse discrimination to allow you in with an england top on, and then not let in someone else with an england top on that is going to cause bother

and im well aware that people wearing normal clothes cause trouble, but why not just let anyone and everything into the pub, and let the trouble kick off then

thing is that pub that have stupid rules like this land up with more violence from my experiences
    pubs that let just anyone in (in certain areas) have way more violence
    MrG wrote:
    pubs that let just anyone in (in certain areas) have way more violence

but im not saying let anyone in, the pub i landed up at will definetly deal with u if u play up, but until then they welcoming
    hasnt it always been wetherspoon policy to not have any football shirts? I know that in our one we werent allowed in wearing 'england' colours, lol

I do totally agree that it is stupid that an england shirt can be banned but at the end of the day its is down to the pub the dress code they want to enforce however twatty they wanna be about it
    but im not saying let anyone in
    yes you are

if banning people because of wearing an england shirt is discrimination of the highest and worst kind, then so would any other reason
    MrG wrote:
    yes you are

if banning people because of wearing an england shirt is discrimination of the highest and worst kind, then so would any other reason

not letting in people because they're either known troublemakers or seem particulary aggressive is a precautionary measure - stopping people entering for wearing football shirts is just a joke as far as i'm aware as it solves nothing whatsoever
    not letting in people because they're either known troublemakers or seem particulary aggressive is a precautionary measure - stopping people entering for wearing football shirts is just a joke as far as i'm aware as it solves nothing whatsoever

Indeed. Unless they assume that anyone who wears a football shirt causes trouble. :rolleyes:
    Sofie wrote:
    Indeed. Unless they assume that anyone who wears a football shirt causes trouble. :rolleyes:
    Which is discrimination, which is what they're doing, which brings us back to the main point.
    If a pub is known for accepting people in football shirt colours many football fans will go to that pub. And amongst that many there might well be one or two idiots who will cause a fight.

So the landlord concludes: if I allow people in football colours, every matchday I'll have a fight. If don't allow them, I will not.

I guess it depends on the area. If a number of local pubs allow people in colours then it's a different matter. But if they don't, you might not want to be the only venue in the neighbourhood that welcomes people in football colours.
    If a pub is known as a 'football pub' (i.e. big screens, cheap beer, 'cheap drinks during the football' special offers) even if it doesn't allow football colours in, it will still have the same problems. I don't think that the same problem would occur in a pub not showing the football, despite many of the customers wearing football shirts. Of course, the other assumption that landlords will make, especially with an early kick off, is that anyone in a football shirt will have been drinking all day. They will then use the football shirt excuse to ban people who've had one too many. But again, you're assuming things about someone, and acting upon those assumptions, based on what they're wearing (even if they are often correct).
    Try putting newcastle and sunderland fans in the same pub, especially with football shirts on, when there is a derby, all hell breaks loose

you cant turn around and say just sunderland and newcastle fans with shirts on are barred, you say that people wearing any football shirt is barred
    MrG wrote:
    Try putting newcastle and sunderland fans in the same pub, especially with football shirts on, when there is a derby, all hell breaks loose

you cant turn around and say just sunderland and newcastle fans with shirts on are barred, you say that people wearing any football shirt is barred

where i went there was no chance of that tension though
    where i went there was no chance of that tension though

There's two possibilities really. Either the landlord thinks that there is some chance of tension, or the pub is part of a chain that demands the rule. Either way it means tough luck for football shirt wearers. Take your business elsewhere if you don't like it, the pub obviously doesn't care or they wouldn't have the rule.
    Pub turns someone away for breach of dress code, now there's a shock.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Pub turns someone away for breach of dress code, now there's a shock.

Well that's exactly it.

So what? Their pub, their rules. If they don't want oiks in football shirts in, then they don't have to let you in.

One chain around here is marketing itself on banning football from its premises.
    Kermit wrote:
    Well that's exactly it.

So what? Their pub, their rules. If they don't want oiks in football shirts in, then they don't have to let you in.

One chain around here is marketing itself on banning football from its premises.

well good on that pub, but purely in dress alone is kind of pointless
    Purely on dress? What's wrong with that.

The nightclub up from work bans trainers and short sleeves. The pub you went in bans football shirts.

The chain I refer to bans football shirts. Their pub, their choice.

If you don't like it, go somewhere else. If nobody likes it, they will go bust.