Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

14 years in jail for possessing 10 joints' worth of pot

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    What's your point? We've already established that it's the way things are, not necessarily fair.
    My point is that the law is clearly wrong when it comes to regulating what people can and cannot take, and that it should be ignored.

If people don't want to take drugs, they should do so because they believe drugs are dangerous/not for them/detrimental to society/whatever. But NOT simply because the law says they shouldn't.
    You only live once...mite aswell take drugs! :D
    but what about the druggies who get so desperate for money that they mug people/break into houses/steal ect or even attack people when they're high? Is it ok then?
    Ballerina wrote:
    but what about the druggies who get so desperate for money that they mug people/break into houses/steal ect or even attack people when they're high? Is it ok then?
    those things are crimes and should be.
    if people mug/attack rob ...then they should be hauled before a court and dealt with.
    there is no comparrison to people behaving like that and me sitting at home having a smoke.
    Just out of curiosity, in that last example, what happens to the drug user who has reached that level of addiction that they commit a crime and then get locked up for it. How do you deal with the withdrawls? Let them suffer through it or keep them supplied with drugs in prison? Or do you rehabilitate them first then lock them up?
    turlough wrote:

And I see Luke is back to his old ways! :rolleyes:
    What old ways? I don't like illegal drugs.
    What? All of them? Why?
    Blagsta wrote:
    What? All of them? Why?
    I just don't like them and I do not wish to take them. isn't that fair enough? Accept it and I'll accept that your wish is to support them.
    I'm not asking you to take them. I'm wondering why you have the opinions you do. You seem unable to explain, which I find odd. What I find even odder is your assertion that I somehow "support" illegal drugs, like they're a football team or something. How does one "support" illegal drugs? :confused::confused:
    Fiend is right, buying and using drugs in the current legal situation is funding nasty people, civil wars and other problems.

Whether you accept thats a good enough reason or not to obey the law is up to you, but its stupid to suggest that using drugs (especially cocaine and heroin) purely harms yourself.

As to this new possible law, its short sighted, and with virtually all laws it will unfairly punish those at the bottom of society.
    subject13 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, in that last example, what happens to the drug user who has reached that level of addiction that they commit a crime and then get locked up for it. How do you deal with the withdrawls? Let them suffer through it or keep them supplied with drugs in prison? Or do you rehabilitate them first then lock them up?
    when i was there you had a choice ...go on the hospital wing or the normal ones.
    the inexperienced chose the hospital expecting medication and a cushy life ...not so.
    the more experienced such as myself chose the wings.
    on the wings you are seriously ill for a FORNIGHT ...NOT VERY WELL FOR THE NEXT FORTNIGHT AND FINE AFTER THAT ...PLUS YOU HAVE ACSESS To weed and ciggys.
    hospital was banged up oin a cingle cell with an eye kept on you and nowt else.
    no acsess to anything.
    cold turkey is bad but it never killed anyone.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Fiend is right, buying and using drugs in the current legal situation is funding nasty people, civil wars and other problems.

is anyone disputing that?
    and i think it would be better termed ...the current illegal situation.
    Ballerina wrote:

Another myth, people don't steal to buy drugs like cannabis or esctacy, only stuff like crack cocaine and heroin, even more reason to prescribe these drugs to addicts legally...it would save a lot more money and time for the cops.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not asking you to take them. I'm wondering why you have the opinions you do. You seem unable to explain, which I find odd. What I find even odder is your assertion that I somehow "support" illegal drugs, like they're a football team or something. How does one "support" illegal drugs? :confused::confused:
    I have already said countless times on these boards why I am against illegal drugs. I have seen how they have wrecked peoples lives in my area. I don't care if this isn't a spectrum of the whole of the UK but I will take away what I have learnt from around here and never touch the stuff. I would simply rather spend my money on other things and also to keep my self healthy. A gym membership is better than drugs. That's the way I feel and I am not sorry for it.

If you or any one else wishes to take drugs then go ahead, as long as it's not being promoted to me or anyone else.

What I meant by illegal drugs is that you would like them to become legal right? Therefore you support the decriminislation of them, I just reworded it wrongly, probably because I associate illegal drugs with bad things so I try and make it sound like your supporting something bad, which in my opinion it is, but hardly crime of the century though or not necessarily a crime.
    luke88 wrote:
    I have already said countless times on these boards why I am against illegal drugs.

You've only been here a month, I wouldn't really say you've explained your reasons 'countless times' - unless of course you are a returning member.

If you back these proposals perhaps you could explain why putting someone with 10g of cannabis in jail for 14 years is helpful to society.
    14 years for such little amount seems harsh to me and i am very much against using drugs myself. For me, i like knowing i am not putting something into my body that affects me. As for other people, its there business what they do so long as it doesnt affect another person.
    bongbudda wrote:
    You've only been here a month, I wouldn't really say you've explained your reasons 'countless times' - unless of course you are a returning member.
    yes I am a returning member.
    it's Lukesh! i thought it was...
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    it's Lukesh! i thought it was...
    Certainly is.
    I hope you've cleared this with JimV, or he'll just ban your arse again.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I hope you've cleared this with JimV, or he'll just ban your arse again.
    he already knows, I've been back a month.

If I behave I can stay and I haven't broken any rules since my return.
    Aladdin wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/drugs/Story/0,,1791915,00.html Are these people complete and total cunts?
    In all honesty, that's not far off the truth.

I'm actually against the idea. I think the policy is going in the wrong direction. There are some practical problems with the proposals. First of all, I question whether the police have enough resources to enforce it, bearing in mind all the demands they have at the moment. Secondly, there's also the issue of where to put these "criminals". Our prisons are completely full, and the Government, bizarrely enough, has no intention of building more. Whether this is because of some liberal nonsense that prisons don't work, or whether they simply don't want to spend money on it, is another issue.

I would be in favour of some form of legalisation instead. (I bet that surprises some of you!) ;)
    luke88 wrote:
    I have already said countless times on these boards why I am against illegal drugs. I have seen how they have wrecked peoples lives in my area.

Well, you've said things like "I have seen how they have wrecked peoples lives in my area.", but that's about as far as it gets.
    luke88 wrote:
    I don't care if this isn't a spectrum of the whole of the UK but I will take away what I have learnt from around here and never touch the stuff.

You seem to be lumping all drugs into this bogeyman catergory "drugs". You also seem to be ignoring all the other issues that go hand in hand with drug problems, namely homelessness, poverty, alienation, lack of education, mental health problems, childhood abuse, emotional difficulties etc. Its like you see a problem and want to label it "drugs" so you can just forget about it without having to think about all the complex issues contained within.
    luke88 wrote:
    I would simply rather spend my money on other things and also to keep my self healthy. A gym membership is better than drugs. That's the way I feel and I am not sorry for it.

Good for you. Seriously. But no need to go on about it like its any great achievement or anything.
    luke88 wrote:
    If you or any one else wishes to take drugs then go ahead, as long as it's not being promoted to me or anyone else.

When have I ever "promoted" drugs? :confused:
    luke88 wrote:
    What I meant by illegal drugs is that you would like them to become legal right?

I think that legalisation might well remove a lot of the social problems involved with drug use, yes.
    luke88 wrote:
    Therefore you support the decriminislation of them,

Legalisation is not the same thing as decriminalisation.
    luke88 wrote:
    I just reworded it wrongly, probably because I associate illegal drugs with bad things so I try and make it sound like your supporting something bad, which in my opinion it is, but hardly crime of the century though or not necessarily a crime.

You've lost me there I'm afraid.
    bongbudda wrote:
    If you back these proposals perhaps you could explain why putting someone with 10g of cannabis in jail for 14 years is helpful to society.

Did you fancy answering my question Luke?