Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rail Strikes on the way! Be Warned!

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
TWO 24-HOUR strikes have been called by Britain's biggest rail union after a massive vote for action over pay and conditions by 5,000 Network Rail signallers and operational staff.

RMT members will not book on for shifts due to start between 13:00 on Tuesday June 20 and 12:59 on Wednesday June 21, and between 21:00 on Sunday June 25 and 20:59 on Monday June 26.

In a 65 per cent turnout, members voted overwhelmingly to strike after the company failed to budge from a three-year pay offer that would deliver an effective two-year pay freeze and delay for another year a 35-hour week that should have been in place three months ago.

If these go ahead there will severe disruption to all trains all over the country. The network will effectively be shut down.

BBC News

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bugger. I'm going home on the 21st and coming back on the 26th. I'm screwed.
  • Options
    damnit! I am supposed to be travelling from southampton to bath for lunch on that wednesday, I'll never make it now :(
  • Options
    be safe in the knowledge that a lot of durham students are screwed in getting home as well :)
  • Options
    How does that make it any better?!
  • Options
    lovely lovely, i do enjoy a bit of hassle getting home from work
  • Options
    The strike for the 20th has been cancelled due to negotiations.

The 25/26th should still go ahead unless they reach an agreement.
  • Options
    Hehe I'm glad that Northern Ireland is so small that getting a bus aint that big a deal! :D
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    The 25/26th should still go ahead unless they reach an agreement.
    Bollocks comes to mind. They had to chose the one day I get the train. Ahhh well, will have to get a bloody bus instead, which will either be late or not show up at all. Tis a joke really.
  • Options
    They say negotiations are still ongoing, there is still hope :D