Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A rise in English nationalism?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have never in my life have seen so many English flags or a calls for more English patrioism. I think it's great that we are finally recognising England for the great country it is. We are tolerant and open minded and accepting of virtually everyone. This is something to celebrate.

Since Scotland and Wales gained devolution, the English couldn't stay behinde the name of Britain anymore as they includes the nations that have devolved power, therefore English identity is back on the agenda.

What do you think it will be like in the future? The brake up of the Union? Is devolution a step too far?
It's true that more and more people regard them selves as a subject of their own nations than British. I personally say English first then British, never European though. Half Spanish though one day maybe :D .

Comments

• Options
    i think its just to do with the football tbh, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    http://politics.guardian.co.uk/columnist/story/0,,1795369,00.html

Interesting article.

I think she is wrong by the way. She believes that only English votes will will a step to far and will lead to a brake up in the union. I can't see this happening at all.

Ok say today there is a peice of legislation passing the commons and it's an English bill, therefore on English MP's can vote on it. Labour is in government but do not hold a majority of MP's in England... they will obviously loose and their manifesto will not be implemented. So what? The English didn't give Labour a majority like they have in the other nations. So what is the problem?
    England gained more votes for the Tories than labour which means the English would prefer a Tory government to a Labour one. No one can possibley complain that the governments manifesto can't pass with English only votes. They didn't elect labour with a majority therefore they don't get the power.

I'd like to comment on her stance that the Union would brake up. No it wouldn't. Each nation has their own votes on their domestic issues with reserved powers being at Westminster dealing with national and international issues. The woman in the article is going on about English block votes in the E.U... we would continue to be represented as the United Kingdom, not England nor Scotland but the UK collectively.

The whole article is generallly anti Conservative not necessarily anti devolution or English only votes.
  • Options
    i think its just to do with the football tbh, nothing more, nothing less.
    I have never seen so many flags, before the football as well and during football. We've had world cups before but I haven't seen this many flags. English identity is finally being born.
  • Options
    no its not, just more people jumping on the bandwagon
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    no its not, just more people jumping on the bandwagon
    na I disagree.
  • Options
    It's the football. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's the football. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Why are there calls for an English parliament?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I have never seen so many flags, before the football as well and during football. We've had world cups before but I haven't seen this many flags. English identity is finally being born.
    Well i remember several world cups. I think the reason there werent as many last time is because England got knocked out so early. There certainly was at first.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Why are there calls for an English parliament?
    By how many people?

Believe me: the flags have nothing to do whatsoeve with with a rise in patriotism, let alone 'nationalism'.

It's to do with a certain sporting competition that is taking place this month in Germany.
  • Options
    plus luke was too young to go to the pub the last time the world cup was on

so he couldnt see all those flags
  • Options
    It's just the football. People think England can win but when they don't all these flags will disappear again. It was the same with the Rugby World Cup... though when England went shit all these band wagon jumpers disappeared...

P.S.... ;)
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

There were loads of flags for Euro 2004, and World Cup 2002. It happens every time.

They'll mostly come down when England are knocked out.
  • Options
    Every year more and more christmas lights and tacky blow up snowmen appear.
  • Options
    Well i remember several world cups. I think the reason there werent as many last time is because England got knocked out so early. There certainly was at first.
    Mass flags have been up weeks before the world cup even started.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    By how many people?

Believe me: the flags have nothing to do whatsoeve with with a rise in patriotism, let alone 'nationalism'.

It's to do with a certain sporting competition that is taking place this month in Germany.
    It is unfair to say that English identity is not on the rise, more and more people call them selves English than British these days.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

No but I was old enough to walk the streets... which is what I am talking about.
  • Options
    Isn't no one going to comment on the article?
  • Options
    i got this for you luke.
    you can cut it out and stick it on your jumper ...and be noticed and proud.
    englishflag2ht.jpg
  • Options
    i got this for you luke.
    you can cut it out and stick it on your jumper ...and be noticed and proud.
    englishflag2ht.jpg
    No thanks. It's the wrong flag.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    It is unfair to say that English identity is not on the rise, more and more people call them selves English than British these days.
    Wait for the last day of the Proms then. See how many St. George's Crosses can be seen, and how many Union Jacks...
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    No thanks. It's the wrong flag.

you might find that the union flag is your national flag luke
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

Yes, but it depends on the context, who they're speaking to, etc. People are perfectly possible to have more than one loyalty you can call yourself a Londoner, English or British interchangeably depending on the circumstances.

I'd also be interested if their is any evidence of more people calling themselves English. In the 19th century England and Britain were used interchangeably. Nelson famous 'England expects' was to a fleet which was 25% Scottish, with a large Irish, Welsh (and other Empire contingent). But at the time no-one batted an eyelid, the Scots, Irish etc knew that when Nelson and others said England they meant Britain and that was accepted practice.

That's changed and now most Scots, Northern Irish will not use Britain and England as the same thing. I get quite pissed when people refer to the English Army or the British football team. At the same time many of the English are doing the same. The union* may or may not be at threat, but if it is not because more people are getting the terminology right.

* and as a good Unionist I hope not. As the old Conservative 'joke' goes 'The only good Union is the Act of Union' OK I didn't say it was a funny joke.
  • Options
    PS Could the English get their own anthem as well. God Save the Queen is the British national anthem.
  • Options
    If England win the World Cup, the flags will stay round until after the victory parade, and then they'll quietly disappear. If England are knocked out of the tournament, (and if they perform like they did on Saturday again, it could be very soon indeed) the flags will disappear again too.

Also, no one seems to bear in mind the irony that most of these flags are being made in China...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    PS Could the English get their own anthem as well. God Save the Queen is the British national anthem.

God Save The Queen in my eyes is the English National Anthem. Any excuse to change the British one...its fucking terrible!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Mass flags have been up weeks before the world cup even started.

It's always like that. I think you'll find it's never 'oh, it's the World Cup tomorrow, I might put my flag up then...' is it?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    God Save The Queen in my eyes is the English National Anthem. Any excuse to change the British one...its fucking terrible!
    A national anthem about the country, and not solely about one person would be a noticeable improvement.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    A national anthem about the country, and not solely about one person would be a noticeable improvement.

Neither should it be based on a song that originally went on about crushing the Scots!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Neither should it be based on a song that originally went on about crushing the Scots!
    Problem is, what do you replace it with? What song reflects the Britain of today?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Problem is, what do you replace it with? What song reflects the Britain of today?

God Save The Queen

By The Sex Pistols.